Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   201 Tips To Save Gas (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/201-tips-to-save-gas-9208.html)

theholycow 06-30-2008 05:58 AM

201 Tips To Save Gas

I noticed this tab at the top of the screen today, to the right of UserCP.
I don't know where it came from or who wrote it. I disagree with some of the things listed but I don't particularly care to argue them. There's lots of grammar errors that I don't feel like correcting right now.

However, I didn't get very far into it before I found something that I don't understand...
Quote:

26. Reduce the number of Cars on the driveway
If your family has more than two cars then try reducing the number of cars, share the ones you have more often. Judging by the driveways around where I live three and four car families never go out all at the same time in their 'own' cars, especially if the young ones are paying for gas!
How does having fewer cars to choose from reduce fuel usage? It may reduce total monetray cost in most situations, but it may do so at the expense of fuel economy.

For example, if I had to get rid of extra vehicles, I'd have to keep my full size V8 4x4 pickup, which I use for hauling firewood/building materials/etc, towing my camper, and snow/ice commuting...and I'd get rid of my little hatchback FE commute car! The truck is already the smallest, most fuel-efficient vehicle that can do the jobs it does so it's not like I could even get a smaller truck.

Quote:

43. Don't drive a gas-guzzler
Is it about time to go for six cylinders instead of four?
I think someone got that backwards.

Quote:

108. By gas early or late in the day
Try to buy gas at coolest time of day - early morning or late evening is best, during these times gasoline is densest and gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration.
I personally think that one is bunk, but if it's not, then late in the day would be the worst time. The air is beginning to cool off but the underground tanks are just reaching their peak temperature.

suspendedhatch 06-30-2008 06:54 AM

You're absolutely right. Buying gas just before the sun comes up gives you more gas than buying it just after it goes down. Whether it's significant or not is a matter of debate.

The internet is 90% bad information. There's no fact-checking. Anyone can write whatever they want. Then a flock of sheep latches onto it and it spreads like aids. I never take anyone's opinion as anything more than a hypothesis that needs to be tested. Even in this forum there is so much info that is just plain harmful to FE, dangerous, illegal, unfeasible, and/or altogether stupid. Which is fine because people are experimenting and trying to learn. Hopefully people here are bright enough not to buy into anything without first verifying it.

ihatemybike 06-30-2008 07:11 AM

Reduce number of cars in driveway? I don't know about that, but community vehicles do have merit. Some people don't need a SUV of Van as their daily driver, but since they can only afford one vehicle that's what they buy. I have an open offer with my friends, family, and neighbors that they can use Grumpy. I only require that they give me a few days notice for weekend or extended use and that they return it with the full tank of gas that they pick it up with. I've also read of some RVers doing this.

Buy gas in the morning. Um unless the station is really old, gas is stored underground where it's always cooler. I'd like to see someone test this theory using a graduated cylinder.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-30-2008 07:19 AM

I think the cars in the driveway thing is strange because other countries have purpose built cars that they drive and so should we.

the problem is that we have purpose built vehicles like trucks and SUVs (I am a prould owner of both) and people use them as daily drivers. that is fine if the purpose is needed like contractors and other hauling situations. my truck hasn't moved in nearly a month in a half. I have owned it for 4 and a half years and have about 17.5k miles on it. I hope to keep it for a long time. my wife has an SUV of sorts (honda element) it is a 4 cyl but is still 4wd and heavy. we are on the smart waiting list which will replace the SUV as her daily driver. the element will stay in the garage because there are times when it is needed.

does every family need 4 vehicles? no but I think for my situation it will work out best for me and mine. I have also considered a fifth but it would be a scooter (150cc or so for work).

it may be more expensive at first but you can really wear down a small car using it for the wrong purposes such as hauling too much stuff or too many people (weight wise).

KrazyDawg 06-30-2008 07:45 AM

Reducing cars work in metropolitan areas where car sharing services like ZipCar exist.

WA2SLO 08-22-2008 07:54 PM

There are 201 points in this list, and many are repeated, just stated a different way i.e. take a walk, and take a hike.

And I don't agree with going to 4 cylinders. I agree going with the right type of engine and body. I have a 1998 Z28 Camaro with an 346CI LS1 engine, and a 6 speed manual transmission. I get ~29 mpg highway, and that's before the plugs with over 100k that I have to get done. An aerodynamic car helps a lot too.
I have found the best thing to do is let the air pump under the hood breathe better. Install a cold air intake, K&N (or similar) air filter, and a larger exhaust with better mufflers. If you want to get more involved, port and polish the intake, and install header(s). The smoother it breathes, the lest resistance it has to work against.
On the highway, I am essentially idling in 6th gear at 55-60 mph.
Now to finish my homework on an HHO system.

My critique:
How does joining www.gassavers.org directly save gas?
Ok, they also give numerous different tips on how not driving your car saves gas. Do they really need to point that out... continually?
Check your spark plugs and keep your engine tuned up... hmm, what's done in a tune up again?
Leave early and never rush- A good tip, but that ain't likely.
If something changes...you should take it immediately to your dealer...it will be costing you money.
So does a stinkin dealer. Take it to a reputable mom and pop garage in your area. Check with friends, AAA, and the Better Business Bureau office in your area for a reference.

I will have to say that there are some good pointers that Joe Public might not realize:
Observe speed limits, Fouled gas injectors, Check your spark plugs.
-A special way with stop signs-
When there are quite a few vehicles ahead of you and you are heading for a stop sign make sure that you time your approach so that you arrive at the stop sign just as the last car ahead is driving off.
Great idea. Instead of staying in the throttle until you have to brake, get out of it long before you get to the stop. This also saves on brake jobs.

And one that was completely missed and almost everyone is guilty of: LOW AIR PRESSURE. Rolling resistance makes a big difference and air pressure effects this quite a bit. Also, when buying tires, do the homework and find out who has less resistance- both compounds and tread make a difference.

I could go on for pages....

Jason

GasSavers_JoeBob 08-23-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WA2SLO (Post 116031)
There are 201 points in this list, and many are repeated, just stated a different way i.e. take a walk, and take a hike.

Agreed. There is a lot of redundancy. Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:

And I don't agree with going to 4 cylinders. I agree going with the right type of engine and body. I have a 1998 Z28 Camaro with an 346CI LS1 engine, and a 6 speed manual transmission.
For fun, there is "No Replacement for Displacement". For mileage, all else being equal, a smaller displacement engine will be more effective. EPA website lists your car at 25 mpg highway, and the six cylinder model at 28 mpg highway. The user submitted mileages show the V8 marginally higher in mpg, but it was 70% highway, the six didn't list city/highway percentages.

Quote:

I get ~29 mpg highway, and that's before the plugs with over 100k that I have to get done. An aerodynamic car helps a lot too.
Aerodynamic car, tire pressure (which you mention later in your post), tall gearing (wish the Geos with automatic transmissions were geared like the manuals!) and a conscientious driving style all contribute to your mileage. You should be able to beat EPA in most any car the way you are driving. But probably having more fun in the Camaro...:)

Quote:

I have found the best thing to do is let the air pump under the hood breathe better. Install a cold air intake, K&N (or similar) air filter, and a larger exhaust with better mufflers. If you want to get more involved, port and polish the intake, and install header(s). The smoother it breathes, the lest resistance it has to work against.
Now to finish my homework on an HHO system.
Interesting...many people on here swear by Warm Air Intakes...

Quote:

My critique:
How does joining www.gassavers.org directly save gas?
Ok, they also give numerous different tips on how not driving your car saves gas. Do they really need to point that out... continually?
Check your spark plugs and keep your engine tuned up... hmm, what's done in a tune up again?
Leave early and never rush- A good tip, but that ain't likely.
Leaving early has saved me a lot of gas, and a lot of stress. I get to work much more ready for the day driving about 50-60 or so instead of 80...which was my old speed (I have a 90-100 mile round trip commute daily). I may leave about 15 minutes earlier than I used to.

Quote:

If something changes...you should take it immediately to your dealer...it will be costing you money.
So does a stinkin dealer. Take it to a reputable mom and pop garage in your area. Check with friends, AAA, and the Better Business Bureau office in your area for a reference.
Even better, learn to do it yourself. If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me about how they've taken their car to either a dealer OR a mom/pop garage, and had to take it back again and again, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd probably be pretty well off. Not counting the times when I, especially when I was working 70 hour weeks, didn't have time to work on my own cars. I'd take the car somewhere to have something fixed, then I'd have to make time to fix the things that the people at the shops broke.

Quote:

I will have to say that there are some good pointers that Joe Public might not realize:
Observe speed limits, Fouled gas injectors, Check your spark plugs.
-A special way with stop signs-
When there are quite a few vehicles ahead of you and you are heading for a stop sign make sure that you time your approach so that you arrive at the stop sign just as the last car ahead is driving off.
Great idea. Instead of staying in the throttle until you have to brake, get out of it long before you get to the stop. This also saves on brake jobs.

And one that was completely missed and almost everyone is guilty of: LOW AIR PRESSURE. Rolling resistance makes a big difference and air pressure effects this quite a bit. Also, when buying tires, do the homework and find out who has less resistance- both compounds and tread make a difference.

I could go on for pages....

Jason
Hmmm....I thought they did mention tire pressure...it surely does get talked about a LOT on here...

theholycow 08-23-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WA2SLO (Post 116031)
And I don't agree with going to 4 cylinders. I agree going with the right type of engine and body. I have a 1998 Z28 Camaro with an 346CI LS1 engine, and a 6 speed manual transmission. I get ~29 mpg highway, and that's before the plugs with over 100k that I have to get done.

Well, GM cars are an exception...GM is really good at making efficient big engines, and not quite so great with smaller engines. The 3.8 V6 is supposed to be really efficient, though.

Quote:

I don't believe that these things help efficiency on a modern car that's being driven reasonably. When you're at high RPM and WOT (trying to go really fast), it has to breathe one hell of a lot more air than when you're trying to drive efficiently. If it breathes reasonably under that condition, it should be 100% unrestricted at low RPM and/or low throttle.

Quote:

I love tall gears, and big-engined American cars have them. :) My VW pisses me off because I'm doing >2500rpm at that speed, and it's got way too much power to spare in its high gear.

Quote:

And one that was completely missed and almost everyone is guilty of: LOW AIR PRESSURE.
Take a look at the tire pressure link in my sig for more info than you ever wanted to read.

Welcome to the forum. I like you...you've got the car I've always wanted, you like tall gears, and you are concerned about tire pressure. :thumbup: