Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Eoc (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/eoc-9243.html)

goofy1 07-02-2008 03:37 AM

Eoc

i was reading my cars maunal and it says that the car when towed should not be towed with the front wheels on the ground, because of serious damage to the transmission. So i take it that EOC is out of the question so i don't mess up the tranny, right? and if so is there another option besidies pulse & glide in gear?

Jay2TheRescue 07-02-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 109155)
i was reading my cars maunal and it says that the car when towed should not be towed with the front wheels on the ground, because of serious damage to the transmission. So i take it that EOC is out of the question so i don't mess up the tranny, right? and if so is there another option besidies pulse & glide in gear?

You can shift into N without shutting off the engine. This keeps the fluid pumps operating in the transmission.

goofy1 07-02-2008 11:35 AM

well i tried that for a week, shifting to n and coast with the engine on and i got worse mpg. so i stopped that.

kamesama980 07-02-2008 11:49 AM

your car is new enough to have DFCO hence the worse mpg.

grey 07-02-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 109155)

If you have an automatic, then dont coast in Neutral.

I dont know why people on here say it is okay... maybe they are rebuilt transmission salesmen.

palemelanesian 07-02-2008 01:43 PM

Coasting in neutral is FINE if the engine is running. No problem whatsoever. Automatics will frequently do this on their own. Just watch the tachometer drop to idle as you roll up to a stop - that's neutral.

In this case, coasting with the engine off is bad. Just make use of what you can do. I suggest trying engine-on coasting again. It's amazing how little bits of 150mpg will raise your trip average.

You might consider a Scangauge to show you how and when to use this, though.

theholycow 07-02-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 109237)
well i tried that for a week, shifting to n and coast with the engine on and i got worse mpg. so i stopped that.

It may be that it won't work for you, or you may not be using the strategy right. It can be a little confusing trying to find right the way to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 109239)
your car is new enough to have DFCO hence the worse mpg.

DFCO is not a substitute for neutral coasting. They're complimentary. DFCO is great if you intend to slow or stop. Neutral coasting is better if you don't.

See, you have a certain amount of kinetic energy stored in the car, and idling uses a certain amount of energy stored in fuel. When you DFCO, you use your stored kinetic energy not only to move the car, but to turn the engine a lot faster than necessary, pumping air past a closed throttle and fighting engine friction. When you neutral coast, you use less energy all total; the amount of gas you spend idling is less than the amount of gas you'd have to spend later if you had chosen DFCO instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey (Post 109260)
If you have an automatic, then dont coast in Neutral.

I dont know why people on here say it is okay... maybe they are rebuilt transmission salesmen.

I don't know where this FUD comes from...maybe from oil salesmen. There is no reason why neutral coasting in an automatic would cause a problem. The issue was thoroughly discussed in another thread:
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8150

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 109264)
Automatics will frequently do this on their own. Just watch the tachometer drop to idle as you roll up to a stop - that's neutral.

I don't know where this piece of misinformation continually comes from either. Check the same thread I link above. Automatic transmissions do NOT enter neutral unless you shift to N. They remain in gear, and the torque converter unlocks; it still transmits some power, but the fluid coupling allows the car to be stopped while the engine continues running. This is why it saves gas to put it in N while stopped instead of staying in D. I've watched my fuel rate meter in my automatic as I wait at a stop in D and N, and fuel rate definitely goes down in N while RPM stays the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 109264)
In this case, coasting with the engine off is bad. Just make use of what you can do. I suggest trying engine-on coasting again. It's amazing how little bits of 150mpg will raise your trip average.

You might consider a Scangauge to show you how and when to use this, though.

This part is 100% correct.

palemelanesian 07-02-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 109268)
it saves gas to put it in N while stopped instead of staying in D. I've watched my fuel rate meter in my automatic as I wait at a stop in D and N, and fuel rate definitely goes down in N while RPM stays the same.

I've seen the same. I was (unclearly, you're right) talking about as you're moving at, say, 20mph. It's not the same as neutral, but the effects are similar. Engine and wheels are moving at different speeds, and the transmission is just fine.

theholycow 07-02-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 109271)
I've seen the same. I was (unclearly, you're right) talking about as you're moving at, say, 20mph. It's not the same as neutral, but the effects are similar. Engine and wheels are moving at different speeds, and the transmission is just fine.

Even then, in most vehicles, the engine won't go all the way down to idle. In fact, even in N while at speed many won't go all the way down to idle (due to fluid resistance inside the transmission, I think).

The effect is similar but it doesn't demonstrate the safety of neutral coasting. Nonetheless, neutral coasting is safe in common automatic transmissions. I've never ever heard of anyone for whom it caused a problem.

grey 07-02-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 109274)
Nonetheless, neutral coasting is safe in common automatic transmissions. I've never ever heard of anyone for whom it caused a problem.

oh well, highly scientific research is hard to dispute...
ask a person who knows, such as a reputable transmission mechanic.