Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   How many MPG's am I losing for extra 20amps? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/how-many-mpgs-am-i-losing-for-extra-20amps-9445.html)

theholycow 07-19-2008 05:32 PM

...and if you're going to charge the battery at home, why not skip the extra steps and their associated waste, and just make the HHO at home instead?

GasSavers_bobski 07-19-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 111746)
...and if you're going to charge the battery at home, why not skip the extra steps and their associated waste, and just make the HHO at home instead?

You would need to store it somehow. A decent amount of gas would take up a lot of volume at STP, and compressing it seems unwise at best to me. I mean, isn't HHO just electrolyzed water - a mix of H2 and O2 gasses? If that's the case, you would have hydrogen, a violently flammable gas, mixed with a stoichiometric ratio of oxidizer. Those kind of mixtures tend to explode, rather than burn when ignited. If you compressed the mixture to save space, it would explode all the more violently when ignited.

thornburg 07-19-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 111748)
You would need to store it somehow. A decent amount of gas would take up a lot of volume at STP, and compressing it seems unwise at best to me. I mean, isn't HHO just electrolyzed water - a mix of H2 and O2 gasses? If that's the case, you would have hydrogen, a violently flammable gas, mixed with a stoichiometric ratio of oxidizer. Those kind of mixtures tend to explode, rather than burn when ignited. If you compressed the mixture to save space, it would explode all the more violently when ignited.

Not to mention the hydrogen seepage problem. Hydrogen gas will seep through stainless steel and many other containers, and turns metals brittle.

R.I.D.E. 07-19-2008 07:10 PM

Compressed HHO can be described with another term.

BOMB

regards gary

theholycow 07-20-2008 03:39 AM

Ah, that explains why. I kinda thought it might be the answer... :D

dkjones96 07-20-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 111762)
Compressed HHO can be described with another term.

BOMB

regards gary

Sounds like fun!

GasSavers_GasUser 07-20-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ven (Post 111592)
I understand pulling extra power puts an extra load on my alternator. I am pulling 20amps total (about 240 watts in all) and I'm trying to figure out how much FE this is costing me. I am running HHO and am looking for an alternative power solution. First, I am trying to determine if it will be worth it.

If I had the engineering skill and money to waste i would build a solar panel and install it in place of the car body to run the whole car. Of course you couldn't justify the cost to build it just for the difference in the gas savings over a regular gas burning car, but from a technoligical standpoint it would be worth it.

I don't think you should be so overly concerned about the 20 amp draw as it relates to gas mileage. If you need the 20 amp draw use it and forget it. If you don't need it, then don't use it since at that point it would certainly be a waste. Just wasting gas for "no reason" would be worse.

If you are really really really concerned about gas mileage then do what my Son did and put a motor on a bike and get 150 mpg. He rides it to work every day and uses 1 gallon of gas per month. Of course, he can't ride it in the pouring rain/snow/etc, or go grocery shopping, pick up a load of lumber at Home Depot, etc etc, but that is what his vehicle is for.

Just use the 20 amps if you want/need it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-20-2008 03:49 PM

I've just been thinking about solar panels in connection with hydrogen... but because I'm cooking up some crazy scheme for photohydrogen using carrot juice....

GasSavers_bobski 07-20-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 111851)
I'm cooking up some crazy scheme for photohydrogen using carrot juice....

Hmm... Use chlorophyl to synthesize sugars, reform the sugars to produce hydrogen with CO2 as a by-product. Use the hydrogen as fuel and feed the CO2 back to the chlorophyl. It probably isn't all that efficient, but it might be more so than photovoltaics and electrolysis.

theholycow 07-21-2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 111885)
Hmm... Use chlorophyl to synthesize sugars, reform the sugars to produce hydrogen with CO2 as a by-product. Use the hydrogen as fuel and feed the CO2 back to the chlorophyl.

Can you grow it on-board? :D