Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   grill block getting on my nerves (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/grill-block-getting-on-my-nerves-9470.html)

GasSavers_BEEF 07-20-2008 12:27 PM

grill block getting on my nerves

2 Attachment(s)
one of the main things about my car and the whole FE thing is that I didn't want my car to look cheap and taped up.

a buddy of mine recently put on a painted plexi-glass grill and it got me thinking. he also used double sided tape (the kind you put emblems on with).

I decided to try out this whole painting the grill block. I first painted my original one and it looked like crap. I then devised a plan to try to make it look factory. though it is still noticeable, give it a week and the filth of the car will creep over it to make it blend in better. some suggested that I could just wash my car. HA!!!!

2000mc 07-20-2008 12:37 PM

if i wasnt looking at the picture for the grill block, i dont think i would have noticed what was different about the car fora long time

COMP 07-20-2008 12:46 PM

doesn't look bad here :thumbup:

GasSavers_BIBI 07-20-2008 01:14 PM

doesnt look like from the factory, but looks ok to me

BamZipPow 07-20-2008 02:00 PM

You need to put in some black lines (vertical) so it looks like a smile from the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland. ;):D

Mayhim 07-20-2008 03:28 PM

Chicks will dig it. And, really, isn't that what it's all about? You'll have more money to spend on them...

theholycow 07-20-2008 04:03 PM

Funny you should mention it, I found the almost perfect piece of plexiglass/lexan/whatever today. It's exactly the right size for my truck, to cover the whole grille, its chrome bezel, and the gaps around it -- and it's tinted dark, so it will hopefully look like a custom mod for appearance rather than some taped-up crap. I wish I had more so I could use it elsewhere. It was in my basement, where I put it after salvaging it for another purpose. IIRC I could have salvaged more, and now I wish I had...

GasSavers_BEEF 07-20-2008 04:13 PM

I was going for a factory look but knew that it would be very optomistic to thank that it would be a factory look.

as far as the women....I only need one to find me attractive and 8 1/2 years later, she is still taking all my money. lol.

I used plexi-glass (plastic sheeting, whatever) that I had left over from my last grill block. some of the krylon fusion paint (white) and for the seams, kitchen caulk. don't laugh, it worked. I painted the caulk after it was dry.

can't wait to see what the boys at work say about it. I have already been called out a couple of times for it. they laugh and then I say I have gotten 37MPG with a car rated 25MPG. then they want to know how I did it.

thanks for all the positive responses.

*edit* I thought about a smiley face. there is a guy on here with a miata that has done it.

Project84 07-21-2008 04:52 AM

Looks awesome IMO!

thornburg 07-21-2008 06:49 AM

Looks pretty good.

If you aren't happy with it, you could paint a grill on... That would look more stock. Of course, you'd have to be pretty hand with the paint.