Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Airtabs - Where's the best place to get a deal on them? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/airtabs-wheres-the-best-place-to-get-a-deal-on-them-9474.html)

Jay2TheRescue 07-21-2008 05:33 AM

Airtabs - Where's the best place to get a deal on them?

I am seriously considering installing Airtabs on The Beast, but at $2.50 each that isn't going to be cheap. I tried looking at the Airtab webiste, and either you can buy direct from them, or a few dealers in Canada. There were only 1 or 2 USA dealers, and their shops were nowhere near me.

On a related note, has anyone tried mounting the airtabs on magnetic flexible vinyl (like the magnetic signs some businesses put on their vehicles)? I figure if they will stay on you could move them around and experiment.

-Jay

Loserkidwac 07-21-2008 06:13 AM

Figured I'd throw it out there because I looked at air tabs and decided to go with vorteckz instead just because of the price (https://vortekz.com/generators.htm) $20 for 10 and at least for my car the seemed to be more ascetically appealing...plus they came with a template for placing them...

trautotuning 07-21-2008 06:49 AM

^^^^ I just got the vortkez as well. I think they look awesome if anything (not like the airtabs... in my opinion)

One question are you going to place them straight or go with the 10 and 15 degree angle recommendations??

Anybody have any opinions??

Loserkidwac 07-21-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trautotuning (Post 111931)
^^^^ I just got the vortkez as well. I think they look awesome if anything (not like the airtabs... in my opinion)

One question are you going to place them straight or go with the 10 and 15 degree angle recommendations??

Anybody have any opinions??

I was going to follow the instructions and use the recommended angles...figure they would suggest the best possible way to see gains with them for multiple applications...without a wind tunnel or a testing facility its pretty much a shot in the dark...

azraelswrd 07-21-2008 09:53 AM

I was thinking about going with Airtabs but yes, the aesthetics are glaring... but if they work then I really can't complain. Someone (CFG) told me that he used magnets on his tabs to attach them to the roof only.

suspendedhatch 07-21-2008 05:29 PM

Has anyone here done any back to back testing on these? I understand that they work on the Mitsubishi, but I would like to see some results on an aftermarket application.

Loserkidwac 07-21-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspendedhatch (Post 112033)
Has anyone here done any back to back testing on these? I understand that they work on the Mitsubishi, but I would like to see some results on an aftermarket application.

I'm holding off putting them on the Del Sol right away, I am really hoping to see a dramatic improvement since I believe the turbulence created from the the air flowing over the roof is a big downfall of it...I'll be doing 2 tanks stock with the D15z1 in, then I'll do 2 with the front lip and grill block and then add the VGs to see if there is any gains...got my fingers crossed, after the VGs I am playing around with mounting the vx spoiler on the Del Sol it seems with a little work I can get it to mount and look pretty good and hopefully create a boat tail...anyways I'll be keeping track in a gas log and in my build thread so hopefully we will see some positive results from my Sol...

BamZipPow 07-21-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 111915)
I am seriously considering installing Airtabs on The Beast, but at $2.50 each that isn't going to be cheap. I tried looking at the Airtab webiste, and either you can buy direct from them, or a few dealers in Canada. There were only 1 or 2 USA dealers, and their shops were nowhere near me.

On a related note, has anyone tried mounting the airtabs on magnetic flexible vinyl (like the magnetic signs some businesses put on their vehicles)? I figure if they will stay on you could move them around and experiment.

-Jay

Try some of the aluminum metal tape used fer ducting as it's thinner. I think they mention that on their website... ;) Just don't go too fast or you might see it slip away... :eek:

Jay2TheRescue 07-22-2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamZipPow (Post 112066)
Try some of the aluminum metal tape used fer ducting as it's thinner. I think they mention that on their website... ;) Just don't go too fast or you might see it slip away... :eek:

It may be easier to remove the airtab, but how is it reusable after that? Isn't the adhesive on the back of the airtab expended at that point?

-Jay

BamZipPow 07-22-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 112100)
It may be easier to remove the airtab, but how is it reusable after that? Isn't the adhesive on the back of the airtab expended at that point?

-Jay

I don't think you need to remove the adhesive backing to test it. You could contact the company to find out what they would recommend... ;)

They might even sell spare adhesives... :D