Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   My Q's about selling modded hypermiler (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/my-qs-about-selling-modded-hypermiler-9491.html)

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-23-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loserkidwac (Post 112278)
when I go look at cars I want something that hasn't been tinkered with, a good clean stock car...

I can't even remember half the crap I've found, woodscrews and drywall anchors holding a carburettor on comes to mind...

GasSavers_BEEF 07-23-2008 10:10 AM

I am a man that likes to have a spare. I'd say to just keep the car. maybe convince the wife to drive it instead of the gas guzzler (depending on what she has to drive).

my cav's next owner will probably own a junk yard. I plan to get as much out of it as I can. she is approaching 12 years old and has 172k+ miles on her. my goal when I got the car was 150k so it is all gravy from here.

I personally have 3 vehicles and no kids (wife is assumed). I am also on the waiting list for a smart which will bring my total to 4 cars. some people think it is crazy but I look at it like this. purpose built cars should be used for their purpose and that will save gas in the long run. I have a truck that is 4 years old and has less than 18K on it. I use it for truck purposes. my wife has an SUV (honda element so not so bad on gas) and we plan to use it for its purpose after we get the smart. she will drive the smart as she does more driving than I do and I will keep the cavalier until it dies a slow death (however it comes) at which time I will inherit the smart and we will go from there. I have also contemplated a scooter but time will tell on that one.

sorry for the book ^^^^^^

Jay2TheRescue 07-23-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 112286)
I can't even remember half the crap I've found, woodscrews and drywall anchors holding a carburettor on comes to mind...

Sounds like my Buick... I got it from my sister. She only had the car 3 or 4 months at the time, but her boyfriend at the time fancied himself a mechanic. Strip a bolt or screw out? Don't drill/tap/helicoil it when you can just cram a slightly bigger one in its place... I was so paranoid that when I had the engine replaced I had every bolt authenticated. If it wasn't the right bolt for the hole they made it so the right bolt did fit. That cost me, but was worth it in the long run.

As far as having a spare goes, I'm a single guy and I have 3 vehicles, and provided I find the right deal I'll have a fourth by the end of the year...

-Jay

bowtieguy 07-23-2008 01:32 PM

had the same dilemma when i sold my oldsmobile.

we're thinking about selling my wifes 30th anniversary camaro. no problem there 'cause she never let me mod it anyway.

Project84 07-23-2008 02:57 PM

I'd wait on selling the Camaro.

Wait until the new model is released for retail.... once people start seeing them on the streets I think it will help in the sale of an older model. GM is trying to make the Camaro cool again, ride on that lightning if you can!

Plus... right now Camaro's are basically worthless. It doesn't help that hers is the last year before all the slight variations of '98 either.

theholycow 07-23-2008 03:10 PM

I was thinking the other way around for Camaros. Right now they're inflated because the only way to get one is a used one. Once the new ones come out, people will sell off their old ones to buy the new one, increasing the supply far more than the new Camaro drives demand for old ones.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-23-2008 03:43 PM

Wait and see if that new Fast&Furious movie has any Camaros in it. I know Buick Grand Nationals and GNX clones are gonna get more ridiculously priced than they already are.

bowtieguy 07-23-2008 04:02 PM

project and holycow,

either way we would not let it go unless we got our price. we really love the car, but the price of gas and everything else affected by it is pressing our budget.

if we were able to get our price, i'd like to get a 4 cyl honda accord.

besides, cars.com has a money back guarantee.

BTW, forgot to mention, i sold the olds with the mod(very discrete grill block).

Project84 07-23-2008 04:57 PM

I don't know why you would sell the Camaro for a 4 cyl. I bet you could achieve a 35+ average considering the aero of the Camaro and that lovely 3.8L (assuming it's not a Z28, which you've never mentioned). Perhaps it would benefit you to find out what rear end is in the car (likely a 3.73 gear.... check for Y87 or G80 in the RPO codes, Y87 will be sport options - stiffer suspension and the 3.73, G80 will be posi-trac) and swap for a 3.23 or 3.08

bowtieguy 07-24-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project84 (Post 112326)
I don't know why you would sell the Camaro for a 4 cyl. I bet you could achieve a 35+ average considering the aero of the Camaro and that lovely 3.8L (assuming it's not a Z28, which you've never mentioned). Perhaps it would benefit you to find out what rear end is in the car (likely a 3.73 gear.... check for Y87 or G80 in the RPO codes, Y87 will be sport options - stiffer suspension and the 3.73, G80 will be posi-trac) and swap for a 3.23 or 3.08

yes 3.8, but 35+, no way! it is driven almost entirely in the city.

but yes, the 1500rpm @ 55mph upon TC lock-up is pretty fantastic on the hwy.