Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Fed Up With Gas Prices!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/fed-up-with-gas-prices-9568.html)

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 02:45 PM

Fed Up With Gas Prices!!!

This is my first post!....It's amazing oil went up over $5.00 a barrel today once again on speculation! Talk about bad fuel economy my 95 suburban is right up there. I get about 12-13 miles to the gallon on the interstate. I'm running bigger tires, and have a lift kit installed so it ads to the weight. Even though gas prices are so high I have no choice. I need a big suv for my business. It would nice if they threw away the gas tax. In some states it's almost 70 cents on the dollar. Drilling will help some, but in the future. --Josh
www.reportgasprices.com

Jay2TheRescue 07-30-2008 02:56 PM

Ummm... since there is no viable alternative energy available to power our vehicles yet, we will continue to buy gasoline no matter what the cost is - we will just buy less.

-Jay

azraelswrd 07-30-2008 03:04 PM

Yeah, I'd probably keep using gas until it hits the $20/gal mark... but that wasn't a choice so I didn't vote in the poll.

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 03:30 PM

$20 per gallon are you serious? What size tank do you have? My 95 suburban has a 42 gallon gas tank which is the equivalent of one barrel of oil. --Josh
www.reportgasprices.com

Jay2TheRescue 07-30-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113218)
$20 per gallon are you serious? What size tank do you have? My 95 suburban has a 42 gallon gas tank which is the equivalent of one barrel of oil. --Josh
www.reportgasprices.com

Ok, lets say for argument's sake that a hurricaine hits the gulf coast, and destroys the oil rigs out there. The same week There's an earthquake that destroys the alaskan pipeline. Gas shoots up to $20/gallon overnight. If you decide not to buy any more gas how are you going to conduct your business? There isn't a hydrogen vehicle available yet, and electric is still impractical. You will drive less, and probably buy a more FE vehicle, but you will still buy some gasoline.

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 03:53 PM

Jay- You are correct I would purchase a very limited amount of gas, but what you mentioned would be an *extreme circumstance* If that where to happen who knows what would happen to the economy! I might not have a business anymore

civic94 07-30-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113221)
Jay- You are correct I would purchase a very limited amount of gas, but what you mentioned would be an *extreme circumstance* If that where to happen who knows what would happen to the economy! I might not have a business anymore

I think 4/gal is already an *extreme circumstance* since just a few years ago when gas was still 1.20 a gallon, people laughed at 150/barrel crude oil prices and little geo metros and civics with tiny engines and balls. now those cars are worth alot more than a suv, someone actually paid over 7g's for a 10+year old POS geo metro

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 04:27 PM

I feel sorry for the person that paid 7g's for the metro ;)
www.reportgasprices.com

R.I.D.E. 07-30-2008 04:38 PM

RGP you are getting 10 MPG, or 10,000 gallons per 100k miles. That's $40,000 in fuel costs alone per 100 K.

My fuel cost for the same distance is $6,600.

Staying in business means controlling all relevant costs. $80,000 in fuel to travel 200k assuming the price does not increase is a big chunk of cost.

Assume gas is going to be $20 per gallon next week, your $80,000 just went to $400,000 for 200k miles worth of gas.

Mine would be $66,000 compared to your $400k.

The difference pays for my house (although I dont owe anything).

regards
gary

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 04:45 PM

Gary- Thanks for the facts very interesting post. I might be able to run my business out of my house. If I can this would cut down on costs tremendously.

thisisntjared 07-30-2008 04:52 PM

i would have put that i wouldnt but that was not an option.

i will always buy gas to race even if i ride my bicycle to work every day, but thats because all 3 offices are 3, 5 and 7 miles away.

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 05:02 PM

You have to really wonder how the economy would be with $20.00 a gallon gas? One fill up would cost me $840

Jay2TheRescue 07-30-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113232)
You have to really wonder how the economy would be with $20.00 a gallon gas? One fill up would cost me $840

$20/gallon.... I can remember I never put $20 worth in my Bonneville, even when I bought premium... although premium was $1.05/gal at the time...

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 05:35 PM

$1.05 for premium those were the days!

1cheap1 07-30-2008 05:37 PM

Would go back to using only one car for the family and business. Drop off daughter at school, drop off wife to work and then off to work. I work out of my home. I would use the Mazda.

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 05:39 PM

That's definitely something I could see myself doing, might as well go to the grocery store and pay the high prices while your already out
www.reportgasprices.com

R.I.D.E. 07-30-2008 05:41 PM

OPEC doesn't want us to have an economic collapse.

Like the Heroin addict, they want you to live to purchase more of their product.

Gas prices here dropped to less than $3.75 per gallon today. The arabs are hoping they can keep us from deciding it's really time to make a significant change in our habits. They are betting we will do the same thing we did before, accept the cost as a fact of life and continue buying gas hogs.

They laugh while we argue about democratic or republican proposals, and quietly buy our banks, insurance companies, and other profitable businesses.
This is so when the oil gravy train finally dies they can just move to their new occupation, and we go from their customers to their employees.

Your best bet is to consider it at $20 per gallon and act appropriately. I am not sure what your business activities are, but there are always options. Log your vehicle use and see when you actually must use so large and hungry an option.

Look at something like a Dodge Sprinter and a trailer, or other combinations that would allow you to reduce fuel costs dramatically.

regards
gary

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 05:48 PM

Exactly they are trying to push our buttons to see what we are willing to pay for gas. If gas is too high and people stop buying, this will hurt there economy and they won't be able to spend $5 Billion (gas money) like they did with Wachovia. This however is unlikely to happen until we figure a solution for more homegrown oil.

Jay2TheRescue 07-30-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113244)
Exactly they are trying to push our buttons to see what we are willing to pay for gas. If gas is too high and people stop buying, this will hurt there economy and they won't be able to spend $5 Billion (gas money) like they did with Wachovia. This however is unlikely to happen until we figure a solution for more homegrown oil.

I think this time is the last time. We suffered through this twice in the 70's, decided we were going to switch to alternative energy, then OPEC cut the prices to the point we abandoned our alternative energy efforts. I think even if they cut the prices this time the alternative energy technology has progressed to the point that there will be enough people demanding it, no matter how cheap gas may get. The American public has had enough of OPEC playing with us like this. Plus with our economy like this the price of imported fuel is just making our economy worse. I believe (and pray) $4/gal gas has put the final nail in OPEC's coffin and their stranglehold on us.

If we produce more within our borders then we buy less oil from OPEC. We get some hydrogen, ethanol, and electric vehicles on the roads, that's even less that we have to buy from them. Then work on nuclear, coal, wind, solar, and hydroelectric and that's even less we buy from them. Personally I would buy E85 and run it in my truck, but its not available in my area.

-Jay

ReportGasPrices 07-30-2008 06:30 PM

Back in the 70's my dad was on a tug boat in the north east. I wasn't around back then, but he told me stories about how the oil companies had the oil barges to stay out in the ocean, while the prices kept getting higher & higher! Isn't that something

Ford Man 07-30-2008 06:39 PM

It's sad to say, but I guess the sky is the limit. There is a certain amount of driving almost everyone has to do. I have already cut back on driving considerably, but the higher it goes the more I try to cut back trying to make each precious drop go as far as possible.

Belloc 07-30-2008 06:58 PM

I would work from home. Of course it would also increase the cost of all of our goods.

Here are my predictions if gas hits $10.

People move closer to their jobs or they work from home.
Cities will boom, suburbs will die.
SCOOTERS!
Electric cars start to become common.
Long distance semi truck transport transitions to trains.
Short distance transport will go hybrid.
Light rail and electric buses will take off.
Air in Los Angeles will become easier to breath.
Communities will become tighter.
Lakes and rivers will become cleaner.
Roads will be less noisy.
Air travel becomes for the wealthy.
I will be able to sell my Saturn SC1 for 10k :)

GasSavers_JoeBob 07-30-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113227)
I feel sorry for the person that paid 7g's for the metro ;)
www.reportgasprices.com

Why? The person who paid that much for the car felt it was worth that much money to them. (I didn't think so, but then I only paid $200 for my Geo...;) ) Since it was an online auction, at least two people (and probably more) must agree it was worth that much. Buying a car in a online auction is a voluntary act, so there is no reason to feel sorry for them. But you can shake your head in wonder and amazement...

GasSavers_JoeBob 07-30-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices (Post 113239)
$1.05 for premium those were the days!

Yep, those were the EXPENSIVE days! I boycotted gas when it was 40 CENTS a gallon, until I got tired of walking...

...when I got fed up with paying 55 Cents a gallon, I bought a motorcycle...