Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hey from Northern Virginia (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hey-from-northern-virginia-9904.html)

Civicrick 09-04-2008 05:31 AM

Hey from Northern Virginia

:mad: I got so excited when I first logged on to gassavers that i didnt introduce myself. Im Rick in Northern Virginia (a few miles out of Wash. D.C. so I do have to deal with traffic) and Im 45 years old with a wife and 2 kids. We all drive so I have a few vehicles.
A few years ago when my son got his license we had a '89 Camry (RIP my faithful friend). He said he would walk to school before he would drive it so I gladly offered to buy him some quality walking shoes. Anyhow, game lad that he is, he got a job and made his hotrod dream come true; a 5th gen civic hatch. I looked at it, remembering the Detroit V8s of yesteryear and thought, "How do you make a streetcar out of THAT?!?".
So we threw some rims and paint on it (black, of course). Put on a sport suspension ( I said it now rode like a brick and he said, "Yeah, but it corners well.") and then he started looking for that icing on the cake: THE ENGINE SWAP.
Well, lucky for me, he never got the funds together. A little over a year ago he was headed off to another college and wanted to sell the car. A fender got crunched a week before he left so I gave him $2500 for it and said I would fix then sell it. Of course I didnt get right to fixing it so I started driving it some when things started to happen.
The first thing I noticed is when I called the insurance company to drop my son, the cost of insuring that car went to $28 a month. The next thing I noticed was THIS CAR GOES A LONG WAY ON A GALLON OF GAS. And gas was getting more expensive daily. Im always at least in the mid 30's mpg and the last time I highway'd, low 40's. Even needing a tuneup.
So people, Im now a die hard civic fan. Since I noticed a lot of you are too, Im in the right place. My 1993 civic dx 5spd hatch is hitting 120,000 and its tuneup time. But thats talk for another forum.
Rick

P.S. Thanks for all the replies on my cruise control concern

"The Soccermom"- 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD 3.3L ~ 15cty, 23hwy
"The Lardass"- 2000 E-250 Conversion Van 5.4L~ 10cty, 15hwy
"The Rolla"- 1998 Corolla 1.8L auto ~ 25cty, 30hwy
"Daddys Midlife Crisis"- 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 Ltd ~ 50-60mpg
"The Sunday Biotch"- 2007 Craftsman Mulchmower 3.5hp~2000 calories\hr

Jay2TheRescue 09-04-2008 06:17 AM

Welcome Civicrick! I live in NoVa myself, in Sterling.

-Jay

Civicrick 09-04-2008 08:54 AM

Thanks Jay. Im in Falls Church by 7 Corners. Still learning the ropes here at gassavers. I think maybe the next thing to do is go to the garage.
Rick

Jay2TheRescue 09-04-2008 08:55 AM

7 corners... and I thought I lived in the city here... ;)
I don't often venture into your neck of the woods as I can't stand the traffic.
-Jay