Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Am i welcome here?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/am-i-welcome-here-9923.html)

GasSavers_Lurch 09-06-2008 10:22 AM

Am i welcome here??

Hey everyone, i'm one of those hydrogen experimenting nuts... I dont see much talk about that kinda stuff on here. I am EXTREMELY impressed with the ability you guys have for number crunching and conducting thorough experiments... i just run my cells until they melt and then check my meters memory :D
any questions or ideas from you guys would be great. i am also a mechanic and can answer some of the more mundane mechanical questions ;)

GasSavers_BEEF 09-06-2008 10:34 AM

as long as you aren't selling anything, welcome

there is a special forum on here for the HHO guys. that doesn't mean that we agree with what people are doing with it but people may not agree with what I do either.

welcome, have fun, and check out some of the other mods that we are doing. not to take you away from the electrolysis thing but there are other ways to imprive your mileage. don't forget about them too.

GasSavers_Lurch 09-06-2008 10:41 AM

I'm an open minded tinkerer.... I think what skewbe is doing is completely unreal. and i tend not to agree with the normal hydrogen guys.

GasSavers_Lurch 09-06-2008 10:41 AM

and when i said unreal i meant in an amazing kinda way :P

Zukibot 09-06-2008 06:33 PM

I'm almost to the point in my thinking, that any "HHO talk" should result in an immediate banning.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-06-2008 09:27 PM

why should we bann people for having their own opinions about things?

I personally don't think that HHO will yield a gain but I don't think they should be banned.

I have a WAI (warm air intake) on my car and many think that it is a waste of time. they probably don't care if I am not banned.

this is a forum to share ideas and people have discussed all sorts of weird ideas on here. HHO just seems to be the newest thing. I say if you have time and money and want to experiment (no matter what it is) then go for it.

just start a gas log and keep it honest. mine shows several trip ups that I have had but I put it in there anyway because it is what it is.

bobc455 09-07-2008 07:28 AM

Of course we welcome honest discussion about HHO, and any other gas-saving measures (effective or not).

Nobody will be banned as long as they don't violate rules of the site like spamming / harassment, or cause many complaints.

Can I ask about the nickname "lurch"? Is that a driving style?

-BC

theholycow 09-07-2008 07:51 AM

Could be this:
https://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:.../03/lurch2.jpg

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 05:05 AM

you say you have been experimenting with HHO Lurch so what kind of results have you gotten. I am very interested in how all of this works???

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 05:07 AM

For the name question maybe its cause he looks like him.... lol like what holycow is referencing i think. Lol

bobc455 09-08-2008 05:12 AM

https://skyblu.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/holy-cow.jpg

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 05:18 AM

haha nice picture!!

theholycow 09-08-2008 05:32 AM

LOL! I've often googled for Holy Cow pictures, I don't know if I ever got that one (but it definitely shows up now). I have gotten this one:
https://www.editorialphoto.com/resour...s_holy_cow.jpg

Another good one:
https://www.oceearts.org/instructors/...%20cow_jpg.jpg

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 05:56 AM

I still like the racing pirate. I assume that is an R like the acura integra type "R" or something like that.

just my take on it.

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 06:03 AM

or it could be the old pirate saying ARG!!! lol i was a pirate this past holloween at OSU and i think i said that alot hehe

theholycow 09-08-2008 07:08 AM

You're both right. It's a pirate saying "ARRRR, matey", printed with the ricer R logo (which used to be a valid Acura Integra Type R logo but has been destroyed by ricers). It's supposed to be a sarcastic pun.

I had the idea for it for a long time but never made it happen...then once I did it I was so happy that I started using it everywhere. I won't be changing it. I might throw a cow in my sig, though.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 07:14 AM

I think the down fall of the ricer was the "GRAPE FRUIT SHOOTER" muffler and that they try to convince people that it sounds like a V8. lol

theholycow 09-08-2008 07:56 AM

I can't remember which came first, the enlarged-anus exhaust tip, the overcooked ultra-low profile tires (which, thankfully, are no longer being put on tiny rims), or the rice wing...then bodykits came to town and any chance of redemption disappeared.

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 08:09 AM

Yeah i actually have a friend that just put the overenlarged tip on his and it looks retarded especially since he has an old civic hatchback

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 08:16 AM

notice also that those mufflers (universal fit) never fit right. they are always crooked and usually hang really close to the ground.

I like the wings too. its for down force and better traction. especially in the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car.

I think the tires died because people didn't realize A: how expensive they really are and B: how rough the ride gets with them.

that being said, there are a few that do it right. lower the car, sway bars, upgraded cam shaft, and ACTUAL better muffler (not just one that sounds funny), carbon fiber parts and light weight wheels. you don't see many and when you do, it is almost impossible to distinguish between the wannabes and the true racers.
or should I say the racers and the ricers

Jay2TheRescue 09-08-2008 08:30 AM

Exactly. One of my vendors has an H2 Hummer, and someone asked why he didn't put low profile tires on it. He replied that he was 50 years old and his bones can't take riding in a Hummer with low profile tires on it. Also another point with the wings is that they are usually grossly oversized. You don't need a 3 foot tall wing on a Honda Civic. Around here there's a metallic green Toyota minivan with a 3 foot tall wing bolted to the roof. With any luck he'll break that thing off in a parking garage, and the van would look much nicer... ;)

-Jay

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 08:37 AM

I also understand that there is a place for a rear wing on a front wheel drive cars. rally racers do it for downforce during hard cornering to keep the back wheels planted especially in low traction areas like dirt (not to be confused with gravel) roads. rally races are fun to watch

I also understand that you average joe doesn't need a wing at all and to put one on a van. someone probably told him it was cool just to see if he would do it. AND HE DID!!!!

someone laughs daily at that poor guy.

Jay2TheRescue 09-08-2008 08:49 AM

Next time I see that minivan I'll try to whip out the cell phone and take a pic before its gone. It truly is a sight. We have a lot of odd cars here because of the large "Non-Native" population in the area. (I won't single out any race or nationality in the public forum, but those in the DC area know what I'm talking about.)

theholycow 09-08-2008 09:41 AM

OP: You're welcome here as long as we get to turn your thread into a ricer-bashing thing... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 117853)
notice also that those mufflers (universal fit) never fit right. they are always crooked and usually hang really close to the ground.

I thought that was done on purpose.

Quote:

I think the tires died because people didn't realize A: how expensive they really are and B: how rough the ride gets with them.
Oh, they're still putting on ridiculously low-profile tires...they're just putting them on appropriately-upsized rims resulting in the same outside diameter. They used to put wide, low-profile, small-diameter, tires on small wheels that stick out way too far, making it look like a go-kart. Now lots of them go for the "bling bling yo", putting on "dubz". I guess both of those might be restricted to ghetto (or ghetto-wannabe) ricers, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 117856)
Exactly. One of my vendors has an H2 Hummer, and someone asked why he didn't put low profile tires on it. He replied that he was 50 years old and his bones can't take riding in a Hummer with low profile tires on it.

He didn't say "Why would I put low profile tires on it?" I mean, seriously, that's entirely the opposite reason to get a hummer. A hummer with low-profile tires is like asking your voluptuous wife to get breast-reduction surgery. If you wanted a sportscar, you should have gotten a sportscar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 117857)
average joe doesn't need a wing at all and to put one on a van. someone probably told him it was cool just to see if he would do it. AND HE DID!!!!

someone laughs daily at that poor guy.

It's possible that he did it sarcastically...I've often thought of doing that but I expect that most people won't get the joke.

Dalez0r 09-08-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 117859)
(I won't single out any race or nationality in the public forum, but those in the DC area know what I'm talking about.)

Politicians?

:D

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 10:04 AM

I remember the little wheels now. most of the guys that did that around my area used wire rims and rather thick tires but that is because they had hydraulics. you wanna talk about a rough ride. hydraulics will beat you to death.

I think the wheels sticking out is actually against some laws. I have heard that if you have oversized tires, you have to put on fender flares that at least cover the tread so you don't sling mud up everywhere. I dont know all the details of that one but that is what I have heard. it never applied to me so I don't know.

as far as the "doing it for a joke" I have two LARGE flowmaster bumper stickers on the back of my car. that too is a joke that few get. I am thinking of taking them off.

Cruzedriver 09-08-2008 10:33 AM

Haha i get the joke... thats pretty funny cause you have a small cavilier

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 10:45 AM

yea but ricers want to race me because they think I care.

by the way I saw in another thread that you are in school for engineering. what kind. double E is a good one. you can never have too many electrical engineers. I am an E tech. engineering tech. same principle ony two years instead of 4 (oh and that whole less pay thing too)

Jay2TheRescue 09-08-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 117862)
He didn't say "Why would I put low profile tires on it?" I mean, seriously, that's entirely the opposite reason to get a hummer. A hummer with low-profile tires is like asking your voluptuous wife to get breast-reduction surgery. If you wanted a sportscar, you should have gotten a sportscar.

Here in the DC area it is not uncommon to see a Hummer or an Escalade blinged out with low profile tires and spinners. They ride like total crap when setup like that though. My primary concern when setting up a vehicle is that it rides nice. If it doesn't ride nice I won't feel comfortable driving it.

My vendor does have other stuff on his hummer though. He has in dash navigation, and a LCD monitor that slides out of the dash. When he shifts into reverse the monitor switches to a rearview camera.

theholycow 09-08-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 117879)
My primary concern when setting up a vehicle is that it rides nice. If it doesn't ride nice I won't feel comfortable driving it.

For me, it's a balance between comfortable (read: soft) ride, functionality, and price. Aesthetics is pretty low on the list, but not entirely absent -- I want it to look nice when I'm looking at it, and blend in when I'm driving it. Low-profile tires on a huge SUV are counterproductive...not rated for heavy loads, can't go off-road, and it's not like the thing is going to fly around turns just because you put silly tires on it. Putting such tires on effectively manages to make the vehicle even more pointless, wasteful, and ruined.

Quote:

My vendor does have other stuff on his hummer though. He has in dash navigation, and a LCD monitor that slides out of the dash. When he shifts into reverse the monitor switches to a rearview camera.
That may be "bling" to some people, but at least it does stuff...

Jay2TheRescue 09-08-2008 01:11 PM

If the only comfortable cars on the road got 8 MPG I would own one and hypermile it to 12... :) I love driving, but I need my comfort. That means a nice, soft, comfortable, and quiet ride. My truck fits the bill. Before I started hypermiling it I only got 13 MPG in it. I now have my average over 15 in city driving, and I hope to do closer to 30 on the highway if I go on a roadtrip.

-Jay

GasSavers_BEEF 09-08-2008 01:22 PM

I have comfort in other places. I chose to live out in the country where the air is fresh and the neighbors don't care.

that makes my commute about 30 minutes (one way) this was the reason for the commuter car. I guess I can't say too much. I have cruise control and power everything. not too shabby for a 2k dollar car.

Jay2TheRescue 09-08-2008 01:29 PM

I grew up in the country, and that's where the Buick came into my life. I was regularly driving on gravel and unpaved roads. I needed something that could take the potholes in stride. Nothing was better on unpaved roads than my old 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon. That was such a big, heavy car on a long wheelbase that the car just absorbed most potholes like they weren't even there. Gas was under $1/gallon so as long as I got 20 MPG highway I really didn't care.

-Jay

swng 09-08-2008 07:09 PM

I love a comfortable ride too, very much so. I also like saving fuel and that is why I often come here to see how others save fuel. Fortunately, others do not discriminate against me for not being a hypermiler. This place is quite friendly, to state the obvious:D.

101mpg 09-08-2008 07:10 PM

You are CERTAINLY welcome here - we all enjoy fun - and if you don't mind your threads degenerating at times it's a bonus!

Welcome!

Cruzedriver 09-09-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 117872)
yea but ricers want to race me because they think I care.

by the way I saw in another thread that you are in school for engineering. what kind. double E is a good one. you can never have too many electrical engineers. I am an E tech. engineering tech. same principle ony two years instead of 4 (oh and that whole less pay thing too)

I am an Industrial Engineer... I think it is the best option for me plus i think with industrial if i get on the right track i can get up to a really good position.
Im working a Co-op right now and it is really cool. I get to work with engines i mean who wouldn't want to do that!!!

GasSavers_BEEF 09-09-2008 06:38 AM

industrial? does that mean you would design industrial systems? production lines? maybe work on processees to better material flow and increase productivity and quality?

I have always wondered what some positions do. civil engineers are interesting creatures too. some build bridges and other push paper. good luck in school.

back to comfort. and I don't look down upon people that have large vehicles that use more gas than some. I used to have a pick up that got around 15MPG and would do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I would still have it if I didn't have a child on the way. I just view comfort differently than most. I am biased because my first car was a geo metro so space was never that important to me and the fact that I am 5'7" which is below the norm so leg room is relatively unimportant (to me that is). I also love a stick shift (even though I have an auto right now). I do like to have a nice vehicle for my wife thus the element. that way I know she is safe and will reach her destination regardless of weather (for the most part). I chose my vehicle because at the time when I got it, I was driving almost 100 miles per day. that will really eat into your wallet. my fuel cost per month is hovering around $400 which makes me very consious of FE.

I say this just to let people know where I come from. there is a guy that I work with that just bought a jeep rubicon unlimited which gets 18MPG on a good day. he drives 2 miles to work. he doesn't care about FE and had stated that he spends less in gas than I do (which is true) it is all about perspective to me. if my situation were different, i would probably be driving something different myself.

Cruzedriver 09-09-2008 08:10 AM

Yeah to sum up industrial your pretty much right. I mean right now i am working with a manufacturing plant mainly just setting up systems, making sure things are working and are up to spec and just in general making the plants run. Yeah i have a buddy in civil but i mean it fits him perfect he loves to draw. He is going to work for disney though designing rides which is pretty cool

On the comfort issue i agree with you. My family has a few mercedes which are awesome for comfort but then are really big and heavy. They are bad on fuel mileage to but we got all diesels so its not to bad. But i have an 1987 300E and i swear it is the most comfortable car. And what i really like is the huge windshield so i can see pretty much everything. Usually when you get big cars it can be hard to see so i really liked that.