Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a motorcycle (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/thinking-about-getting-a-motorcycle-12529.html)

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 11:07 AM

Thinking about getting a motorcycle

A couple of friends are really pushing me to get a bike so I can go riding with them. I could also extend the useful life of my Sierra by shifting some mileage off of it when the weather is nice.

Only problem is I don't seem to like cheap bikes. There is an Indian on Craig's List right now that I just love.

i-DSi 04-06-2010 01:53 PM

If I may advise something: buy a Japanese bike.
They are by far the most reliable and in general very easy to handle.
You live in the States, so maybe you're mind's set on big homemade V-twins?

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 02:01 PM

I don't like the look of most of the Japanese bikes. I really love the Indians, but they are hard to find, and prohibitively expensive new (A new Indian will set me back at least $35,000) I do like the looks of the Harley Davidson Heritage Soft Tail Classic though.

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 02:06 PM

How can a Japanese bike even begin to compare with this?

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...97ec72cf08.jpg

i-DSi 04-06-2010 02:06 PM

I see...
We have a completely different taste as well for motorcycles as cars.
But it would be a boring world if we all drove those perfect Japanese machines, wouldn't it;) ?

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 02:14 PM

Most of the Japanese bikes are sport bikes. The only Japanese bikes I'm even remotely interested in are the Honda Gold Wing, and the Suzuki Boulevard. I'd like either a touring bike or a cruiser.

theholycow 04-06-2010 02:24 PM

I think the photo that was posted is horribly ugly. However, if I were choosing a bike, how it looks would be my lowest priority (unlike cars where it's a medium priority; I have minimum requirements that must be met, while I have no interest in turning heads or looking great). Comfort, repair/maintenance/parts costs/difficulty, and price would be my top priorities, with fuel economy a medium priority.

The Gold Wing is kinda ugly to me too, but it seems like it would be extremely comfortable and pleasant.

Beyond the Gold Wing (and possibly similar models from other manufacturers), I prefer the look of sport bikes; and I bet with adjusted gearing they would be the most efficient, with their smooth plastic cladding covering everything instead of having lots of bulging stuff.

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 02:25 PM

I should also add, I like the Triumph Bonneville, and 09 models & up are fuel injected, so they should be pretty reliable. I have been told that since I'm tall, a Bonneville is probably too small for me.

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 02:28 PM

I'm looking at cruisers & touring bikes because if I'm not comfortable I won't ride it.

R.I.D.E. 04-06-2010 05:00 PM

Harley V-Rod

regards
Gary

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 06:02 PM

I'm sure its a fine bike, its just a bit too modern looking for my taste.

theholycow 04-06-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 149988)
Harley V-Rod

regards
Gary

https://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...rod_fr_lge.jpg

Hey, that's not too bad.

R.I.D.E. 04-06-2010 07:22 PM

One in Williamsburg for $8500.

regards
Gary

Jay2TheRescue 04-06-2010 07:30 PM

If I go Harley, I'd like to get a Heritage Soft tail, similar to the following bike, but new enough to have fuel injection, because I don't want something that will be hard to start if I didn't ride it for a week.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/ub/me.../gallery_3.jpg

cat0020 04-07-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 149982)
I'm looking at cruisers & touring bikes because if I'm not comfortable I won't ride it.

Have you ever ridden a cruiser for extended amount of time to know for sure that they are comforble for you?

Personally, I find cruiers rather uncomfortable for extended riding, too heavy to be nimble in traffic or parking lot speed, poor fuel economy compare to most other type of motos and the dated styling to complete the package.

The closes thing to cruiser that I've ridden for over 12,000 mile:

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...8a62d511e7.jpg

R.I.D.E. 04-07-2010 03:27 AM

A motorcycle is a bulls eye target for morons. The last thing I want is a sluggish, heavy tank of a bulls eye so the morons can kill me, or even worse just cripple me up for the rest of my life.

Of all people Jay, I would think you have seen enough of that to know how dangerous they are. Not because of the motorcycle driver, but because of the lack of attention of others on the road.

I have been on Harleys, Kawasaki 900, Suzuki Savage, and even an old Honda 350 Chopper in a storm with 75 MPH winds. My biggest fear is always the other driver. Some of them even have the courtesy to apologise after they pull right over into you when they didn't see you.

Personally, if I was going to get a bike, it would be something like a 250 Ninja, but I would get some handlebars that let me sit more vertical. At 59 and almost dying in a car wreck on the 13th (Friday) Dec 1987, I still like a bike, but I definitely do not like the other drivers when they get near me, and I know they will not see me and just run over me without even knowing it.

One of my good friend's brother was riding a 900 Kawa and a lady ran over him and drove 4 miles home, leaving a trail of body parts and bike parts. The police followed the parts to her driveway. She told them she didn't even know she had hit him.

regards
Gary

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 150005)
and the dated styling to complete the package.

I kind of like the dated styling... I definitely do not like the "modern" styled bikes. Yes, I know the dangers.

Here's my take on all of it:

* I know that cruisers & touring bikes don't get as good mileage as other styles, however, the typical configuration I'm looking at will yield 25 - 30 MPG city, and 45 - 55 mpg highway. This is at least twice the mileage I can hope to get out of my truck under optimal conditions.

* I have been told by many people that because I'm as tall as I am (6'4") that the smaller bikes would quickly become uncomfortable for me.

*My taste in bikes is very similar to my taste in cars. Give me chrome, whitewall tires, and classic styling any day.

*The cruisers & touring bikes seem to hold their value a lot better than the sport bikes. Also, because of the economy there are a lot of extremely low mileage cruisers & touring bikes on the used market right now. Many of the bikes I'm looking at have less than 5,000 miles on them.

*Safety is a concern, that's why I'm going to be the dork wearing the day-glo orange reflective vest. I do not plan to ride in heavy traffic or bad weather. That's what my cars are for.

I've already been to a Japanese cycle dealer (Suzuki & Kawasaki) last week, and was not really impressed with what they had to offer. My brother in law (a Harley rider) wants to take me to a local HD dealer this weekend to look at Harleys. I really like the Indian, because the styling is straight from the 30's. Only problem is that there is no Indian dealer nearby, and they are kind of hard to come by on the used market.

theholycow 04-07-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150010)
*The cruisers & touring bikes seem to hold their value a lot better than the sport bikes. Also, because of the economy there are a lot of extremely low mileage cruisers & touring bikes on the used market right now. Many of the bikes I'm looking at have less than 5,000 miles on them.

Holding their value is a disadvantage for anyone buying used. That's only good if you're buying brand new. Brand new sport bikes are often cheaper than used cruisers. List price on a brand new Ninja 250R is $4300.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. You feel the way you do and this isn't about logic; it's about having something that inspires you to ride. I'm just exploring the logic.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 05:32 AM

Yeah, I looked at brand new Ninjas and you're right. I can get a new one cheaper than a used Harley or Indian. The bikes I'm looking at don't seem to come up on the used market for under $10,000, so if I spend $12K - $15K on a bike, it isn't going to depreciate much more over time, and it is easy to find them in this price range with under 5,000 miles, and lots of upgrades. The Japanese bikes seem to depreciate down to nothing. My brother in law has a Japanese sport bike that's in nice condition, but because its 10 years old he can't sell it for a decent amount. It sits in his basement because if he's not going to get a decent price for it, he'd rather just keep it. Looking around I even see salvage title Harleys selling for almost $10K. For me to get an Indian the way I want it would cost me $35k new, and a Harley equipped the way I want would be at least $25K new. My target budget is $10K - 15K.

theholycow 04-07-2010 05:52 AM

That's exactly my point about depreciation. If you're buying used anyway, you can buy a used sport bike for almost nothing. However, as I said...if it doesn't make you want to ride then any amount you spend on it is wasted.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 06:33 AM

The way I look at it is this. I can buy a like new used Harley or Indian for about $15K, and if i keep it garaged and well maintained 10 years later I will still have a bike that will be able to be sold for a decent amount. With a new Japanese sport bike I'm looking at almost 100% depreciation over 10 years, and have a bike that will not have the same desirability as the American touring & cruising bikes.

R.I.D.E. 04-07-2010 06:37 AM

Jay, why not drive your brother in laws bike for a while and see if it works for you. Not to buy it, unless you change your mind, but it would be nice to actually ride any bike for a while to see how it affects you as far as discomfort or other issues.

My take on it is a Ninja 250 could get you close to 100 MPG, which would mean you average for two vehicles could approach 50 MPG depending on how much you drive each one.

I am almost 6'1' and about 205 on a good day.

If you want a Harley type bike, consider the Japanese versions like the Yamaha Star, or the Honda and Suzuki versions.

Not trying to change your mind (just like you could not change mine) but from observing the posts on this thread you could get a nice Japanese bike for 1/3 rd of your budget or less.

Not knowing how much you have been on a bike, if its not much I would seriously consider sticking your toe in the pond, then if you decide you really like bikes then take the plunge at 10-15k.

regards
Gary

theholycow 04-07-2010 06:53 AM

That's a great idea. Your brother in law isn't using it, it's just rotting; might as well give it some use. At the same time, you get to ride for free, and refine your understanding of your own needs, also for free...and there's no commitment at all.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 08:15 AM

Right now I'm looking, and getting into the next cycle class available. Trying to figure out what I like. The brother in law that has the jap sport bike in the basement lives 200 miles away, and the bike hasn't been ridden in 5 years. I am toying with buying a more classic looking jap bike, but then I'd outgrow it quickly and be looking for another bike within a year. Talking to my friends & family that ride they all agree that because I'm tall I need a bigger bike. I initially wanted a smaller bike to learn on - I really liked the Triumph Bonneville, but everyone seems to agree that with me being 6'4" and 230 pounds, that was not a practical choice.

I'm still open to possibilities, but I constantly end up looking at the big American bikes.

GasSavers_Erik 04-07-2010 09:00 AM

Here are my 2 cents-

If you will be riding in the city- a small nimble bike will be safest and the least tiring to ride

If you will be riding on the highway- get a larger bike (you would be more likely to keep the bike up if you were to hit a small dog at 55mph than if you were on a small bike).

I am 37, 6'3" and was 220 lbs before the above knee amputation, and I was really comfortable on my little Kawasaki 305 twin cylinder. It was a great city bike (which was my main goal)- but it was way too light to ride on the highway and was pretty unstable around semi's at interstate speeds (wind would knock me around)

Factoring in insurance, registration and gas mileage (58-62mpg), it really was a wash in terms of saving me money over using the car. It was fun though.

I started riding dirt bikes on the family farm from when I was 12. Had several small to medium street bikes in college and I had been driving the 305 Kawasaki for about 4 years (driving 600-800 city miles per year). I would say that I was an advanced rider. That being said, even 25 years of experience didn't prevent my accident. I don't believe I could have done anything differently except what I did (brake hard and swerve)- when a car pulls directly into your path, something bad will likely happen.

I wish you well- and the orange vest will help with safety- but if someone is texting or having an in depth cell phone conversation (distracted/eyes not on the road) bad things do happen. I would love to ride on the street again- but only if everyone else was also driving a motorcycle.

Sometimes I do wonder if a crash bar that stuck out in front of my leg would have saved it. But many are just light gauge tubing and it may have just entrapped and crushed my leg...

Whichever bike you decide on- never ride it without a helmet.

Jim T. 04-07-2010 10:36 AM

Buy a bike to ride, not to resell. Harley axed Buell, Harley now (always actually) sucks. FUHD. Their resale is tanking due to market flooding now anyway.
Buy something you like or no matter how fast or economical, or pretty it is you won't ride it.
Guzzi's are cool as hell, so is the new Triumph Thunderbird.

Jim

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 10:43 AM

I plan to do a mix of urban & highway driving. i do not plan any extreme city riding like taking it into DC or anything like that. (I'm scared driving on 4 wheels in DC.) Most roads around here are 35 - 50 MPH, are between 4 and 6 lanes, and there's traffic lights every few hundred yards. Whatever I buy needs to be capable of interstate travel. If its a chore to keep on the road @ 70 MPH then I won't be able to meet up with my friends and ride with them. I do realize that I am sacrificing some ease of riding in town, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Here's a basic list of what I need/want:

* It needs to ride as smoothly and comfortably as possible. Ideally I want a Buick on 2 wheels.

* Needs to be able to carry a passenger.

* Needs fuel injection. I don't want a bike that will be hard to start if I don't ride it for a week.

* Needs to be stable on the highway.

* Needs saddlebags big enough to accommodate my laptop, and/or a rear luggage rack big/sturdy enough to secure my briefcase. My laptop goes everywhere I go. If I can't take the laptop, traveling with the bike (or going to work on it) is a no-go.

* Want: classic styling, chrome, leather, white wall tires. If I like the way it looks, and feel good riding it, I am more likely to ride it and leave a 4 wheeled vehicle at home.

i-DSi 04-07-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150037)
I don't want a bike that will be hard to start if I don't ride it for a week.

Hey, hey, hey, looks like you gonna end up anyhow with a Japanese bike!
My Honda was parked in my garage end October, just took it out last weekend without doing anything (no batterycharger): started like an already warmed up Harley (I believe a Harley has good starting capacities under these conditions?).

Serious: if you want a bike that starts after several weeks/months, buy
- a 4-cylinder or a very small twin (e.g. Ninja250).
- Japanese

Do I need to say I kind a like Honda's? Or is it becoming obvious?

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 12:41 PM

Yes, I admit that ease of starting is a big plus in favor of Japanese. The newer American bikes with fuel injection aren't bad though.

alvaro84 04-07-2010 02:22 PM

Well, I almost advised you to have a look at the German bikes (I mean BMWs here) too (an 1200GS or any RT/GT model should be big and comfortable enough for your kind, I'm much smaller, the little F650CS is for me :D), they've been fuel injected for at least a decade and usually have pretty good FE (compared to other MCs), but they totally lack that classic styling you mentioned :(

(Anyway, my girlfriend likes your taste at bikes, Ciliegia is hers, it's styled along these lines, only that it's different in size and strenght. A first bike for her, quite good at FE too, and light enough for a beginner with smaller dimensions than yours. It's Korean and starts like a charm when the battery is charged even though it's carbed. Its smaller weight somewhat makes up for its smaller engine, but I wouldn't easily recommend a 250cc for the weight of you and a passenger.)

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 02:32 PM

Yeah, while not as bad looking as the Japanese sport bikes, the BMW's are not to my liking.

Jay2TheRescue 04-07-2010 07:23 PM

I've read so many articles in the past week, I can't remember which bike it was. Apparently there's a Japanese bike out there that's a copy of the classic Indian design. Does anyone here know what make/model it is?

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-07-2010 09:34 PM

Guess I'll chime in here...

1. Take a class, or have a good mountain road to practice riding on early in the morning when there is no traffic. A mountain road will teach you a lot...it will teach you about how much you can push the bike, how to react to turns, and how nice it feels when the sun comes up.

2. Practice going around obstacles. What I mean is this: You see a car (or other large, immovable object) in front of you. Do you try to stop, or go around it? Practice, practice, practice going around. When you are riding on a deserted road (and do this a lot while you are learning), pick a spot close in front of you. Practice going around that spot. Could keep you out of the hospital. I can tell you that if you try to panic stop at 60 mph, you'll lock up the wheels. I did that, and have had a rod in my right leg since 1979 after it was caught between the handlebars and the gas tank. Can you say femur snap?

3. Biggest bike I rode was an '81 Goldwing. Nice, comfy, kinda like a Lincoln on two wheels. BUT...it was heavy, ponderous, and not at all nice to ride on dirt roads. Best bike I had for that was a '72 Triumph 650. I mention this because at that time I would often spend weekends out at a friend's place in Twentynine Palms, CA, a couple miles off of paved roads.

4. Most important: DON'T let ME, YOUR FRIENDS, or a MAGAZINE ARTICLE talk you into getting one bike if you really like something different! You are the one who has to ride it, ride what you like! (I kinda liked that Harley V-Rod, but that's just me).

https://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...rod_fr_lge.jpg

72 Triumph...found on the web, but very close to how mine looked...https://www.ozarkvma.com/Images/Denny1.JPG

Goldwing...not exactly mine (this is a GL1000, mine was a GL1100) but close...mine had no fairing or bags...https://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...2-goldwing.jpg

Jay2TheRescue 04-08-2010 05:42 AM

Yes, I am signing up for an official cycle class. The community college down the street holds motorcycle classes on weekends.

Jim T. 04-08-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150070)
I've read so many articles in the past week, I can't remember which bike it was. Apparently there's a Japanese bike out there that's a copy of the classic Indian design. Does anyone here know what make/model it is?

Jay,

Kawasaki made the "Drifter" version of the vulcan, both a 800cc and a 1500cc version.

Jim
Like this

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/1682846748.html

Jay2TheRescue 04-08-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks. my brother in law told me this afternoon.

Jay2TheRescue 04-08-2010 06:16 PM

Well, after some searching I found this drifter, @ 1/3 my budget...

https://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/1681544716.html

https://images.craigslist.org/3o63pf3...d2e9851ac6.jpg

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-08-2010 06:40 PM

Nice looking bike! It's making me want a bike again...

Jay2TheRescue 04-08-2010 07:45 PM

That model is certainly making me rethink Japanese...

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-08-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150095)
That model is certainly making me rethink Japanese...

Back when I did most of my riding (late '70s to mid '80s) you could buy a bumper sticker that read: "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a Jap bike".

Back at that time, Japanese bikes were much more reliable. I knew of Goldwings with over 100k on them, I sold my Honda 750 with about 60k miles, and my Triumph, which showed 20k on the odometer (but cable was broken, had been broken a couple years, and the owner said he rode between West Covina, CA and Santa Barbara, CA on a regular basis) looked like it could easily have had 100k on it.