Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a motorcycle (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/thinking-about-getting-a-motorcycle-12529.html)

Jay2TheRescue 04-09-2010 06:45 AM

Great looking bike at a nice price...

https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/1666413349.html

cat0020 04-10-2010 07:09 AM

You should change the title of this thread to: thinking about getting a "Cruiser".

Jay2TheRescue 04-10-2010 12:21 PM

Yeh, sport bikes don't do anything for me. I like the cruisers & touring bikes.

Jim T. 04-10-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 150130)
You should change the title of this thread to: thinking about getting a "Cruiser".

Why?
Last I checked a cruiser was still a motorcycle.:rolleyes:

Jim

cat0020 04-11-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 150138)
Why?
Last I checked a cruiser was still a motorcycle.:rolleyes:

Jim

Because that's the type of motorcycle that the OP is interested in getting, not all motorcycles are cruisers; seems like you can't read well when you :rolleyes: .

Jay2TheRescue 04-11-2010 06:34 AM

Well, although I am drawn to the cruisers, I may end up with a touring bike. The only thing is certain is that I absolutely do not like sport bikes, and of course, they're all motorcycles.

fowljesse 04-11-2010 08:59 AM

I've had many motorcycles, and the closest I had to a Harley was a Suzuki Savage (Single 650cc Cylinder). It rumled, and sounded like a Harley, and was reliable for the year that I had it. I know that nothing is exactly like a Harley, and if your friends ride American bikes, I understand your hesitation to get anything else. I never heard the term "Rice burner" until the M/C community. I've had everything from 250cc to 1000cc, cruisers to crotch rockets, and the most comfortable bike[s] I had was Suzuki Katanas (New in '93, and new in '02). I put 15,000 miles a year on them. I loved road trips, and would lay on my tank bag. I could have easily fallen asleep if it were stationary. I was below the windstream, so it was relatively quiet, and I could accelrate, and cruise about as fast as I wanted.
I don'y know how the new Sport Touring bikes feel, but I'd highly recommend checking that style out.

Jim T. 04-11-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 150152)
Because that's the type of motorcycle that the OP is interested in getting, not all motorcycles are cruisers; seems like you can't read well when you :rolleyes: .

Still a tool I see. :rolleyes:
Maybe he should specify color, CC's, acceptable amount of miles, air or liquid cooled, one two three or four cylinder, wire wheels or spokes, hell even two wheels or three. Makes for a long title doesn't it?

Probably easier for really dense people not to read the post. :p

Jim

cat0020 04-11-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim T. (Post 150180)
Still a tool I see. :rolleyes:
Maybe he should specify color, CC's, acceptable amount of miles, air or liquid cooled, one two three or four cylinder, wire wheels or spokes, hell even two wheels or three. Makes for a long title doesn't it?

Probably easier for really dense people not to read the post. :p

Jim

At least I didn't start with the name calling, that's just rude. Stop rolling your eyes and read.

Who said everything you mentioned had to be in the title? why can't the specification be given in the post??

If OP is specifically looking for a cruiser type motorcycle, it's easier for suggestions to be made when it is specified in the title? that's just common sense.

theholycow 04-11-2010 01:44 PM

I don't think the direction of this thread is helping the OP or anybody. I also don't think anybody is going to convince anyone of anything, nor will anyone seem to have "won" if it continues.

Maybe somebody has something informative or insightful to say about the FE of a Kawasaki Vulcan?

Jay2TheRescue 04-11-2010 02:58 PM

We don't need to get into a fight over this. I think the thread title is fine.

On a brighter note, my brother in law actualy trusted his Harley 1200C Sportster in my hands. He showed me the basics today. You can't tell in the pic, but I'm actually moving, and my feet aren't touching the ground. Result: Didn't damage the bike, or myself. I consider it a success.

https://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs437...._1989855_n.jpg

Jim T. 04-11-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 150184)
I don't think the direction of this thread is helping the OP or anybody. I also don't think anybody is going to convince anyone of anything, nor will anyone seem to have "won" if it continues.

Maybe somebody has something informative or insightful to say about the FE of a Kawasaki Vulcan?

I had a carbed 1991 A model and it averaged 48 mpg.

Jim

Jay2TheRescue 04-15-2010 10:31 AM

Well, I signed up for the motorcycle rider course. I'm scheduled for June 17 & 18. I'll probably get a motorcycle learner's permit next week so I can practice before the class with my brother in law.

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-15-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150308)
Well, I signed up for the motorcycle rider course. I'm scheduled for June 17 & 18. I'll probably get a motorcycle learner's permit next week so I can practice before the class with my brother in law.

That's probably your best move. Also, I don't know about your state, but in California the DMV tests you on your low speed riding ability...go out a ways in the parking lot and back between two lines, around a circle between two lines without putting down your feet, and weaving back and forth between painted dots or cones. So practice low speed maneuvering until you have it down cold.

Jay2TheRescue 04-16-2010 03:03 AM

If I pass the state approved motorcycle course the DMV will waive the knowledge and road tests. The state approved class includes 5 hours classroom instruction and 10 hours on the driving range.

Jay2TheRescue 04-16-2010 10:35 AM

I found a really good deal on an Indian Spirit on Craigs list in a nearby state. I may go on a mini roadtrip next week to check it out if its still for sale by then.

Jay2TheRescue 04-22-2010 11:54 AM

Status update: I just got back from the DMV. I passed the knowledge test and I now have a motorcycle learner's permit.

GasSavers_BEEF 04-22-2010 12:26 PM

I don't ride a bike but one thing that someone told me once when I was thinking about one is gloves. I thought it was for looks but he said that if something does happen, your hands are the first thing to go down. protect them.

it was sound advice though I opted out of a bike. I was looking at a 300 though. it was cheap and 70mpg to boot. the kids dad decided to keep it after he went back to college. he was an intern where I work.

Philip1 04-22-2010 02:45 PM

I will tell you from the standpoint of having laid down a bike... gear is your lifeline. I had to lay down the Ascot at 50mph and because I was wearing proper gear I came out with almost no injury. My advice is as follows in order of importance : Helmet,gloves, jacket boots and pants. the first three should probably be bought together and the rest as you feel the need or can afford it.

Jay2TheRescue 04-22-2010 05:24 PM

I was going to buy all of the gear, so if I did drop a bike I wouldn't end up a bloody smear on the road.

Jay2TheRescue 04-24-2010 08:57 PM

Well, today I ordered a helmet, bought a jacket boots, and gloves. I'[m now searching for pants to match the jacket (if possible) I found one pair of pants that matched perfectly, but they were only available in a 32 inch length.

I was also offered a fantastic deal by one of the Harley dealers we visited today on a used bike. I just don't think I'm ready to drop $12K on a bike 2 months before my rider class.

Ford Man 04-26-2010 03:30 PM

I've been riding bikes since I was about 10-12 years old and I'm now 50. I can't say anything about the newer Harley Sportsters, but I had a '77 Sportster and if they were all like it was I'd probably have never bought another bike. You couldn't even look in the rear view mirrors and tell if there was anything behind you or not for the vibration. I'm still riding an '82 Yamaha 1100 that I bought new and have ridden it over 500 miles in one day before. My bike wouldn't suit you, because of the seating position and the length of your legs if you are 6'4". Leg position and back position are two important factors to consider whenever you look at a bike especially if you plan to do any long distance riding. You don't want your legs cramped up and you don't want to be riding in a slumped over position all the time. If you're sure you are going to go with a larger bike 1000cc+ I'd recommend looking at the Yamaha full dresser touring bikes, but a bike of 750cc or smaller would be much easier to manuver especially by a new rider. I've never ridden one of the Yamaha full dressers, but have sat on one and seems to have a really comfortable sitting position. Lots of bikes just have the seat and the pegs too close together and cramp your legs. I also experienced a motorcycle accident about 25 years ago where a tractor turned left in front of me causing me to have to lay the bike down in order to avoid hitting him or going under the tractor. The main thing to remember is you'll have to watch for others because most people WILL NOT watch for you. The guy on the tractor that caused my accident told me that was the second time that had happened to him that day. When he told me that my first thought was didn't you learn anything the first time!! I really can't make any recommendations on the newer bikes other than thinking the full dresser Yamaha would be a comfortable bike as far as sitting position and enough weight to take the bumps in the road.

Jay2TheRescue 04-26-2010 04:05 PM

This is the bike I was looking at:

https://www.waughhd.com/cgi-upload/ec.../39027.540.jpg

https://www.waughhd.com/php-bin/ecomm...7&next_id=4952

With the forward controls this was a very comfortable bike to sit on. I liked the riding position. As a new rider I was concerned about the safety because it did not have the "highway" engine guard bars. The dealer offered to install the bars, and offered me the bike for $12K out the door (tax, tags, & title included) The original price was $12,495.

Jay2TheRescue 05-04-2010 12:53 PM

Anyone have any experience with these pants? I'm kinda limited because I need a tall size. Seems like most of the pants I like are not available in tall.

https://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...ventureairpant

https://www.helmetcity.com/mm5/graphi...-4Front_lg.jpg

Jim T. 05-05-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 150880)
Anyone have any experience with these pants? I'm kinda limited because I need a tall size. Seems like most of the pants I like are not available in tall.

https://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...ventureairpant

https://www.helmetcity.com/mm5/graphi...-4Front_lg.jpg

LOL I have the opposite problem, on most riding pants the knee armour is over my shin! (28/29 inseam) Try Frank Thomas pants at Cycle Gear.

Jim

Jay2TheRescue 05-05-2010 11:25 AM

My brother in law found some reviews of the pants pictured below online, and after reading about 20 reviews I decided to buy them. One of the reviewers said he had actually wrecked at highway speed in the pants, and they saved his butt, literally. All reviewers said that they performed well in the heat (Of which the DC area has more than its fair share of hot air, both literally and figuratively.) The main drawback that was constantly listed was that they looked bulky, but that's so the pants can accommodate the 2 liners (one water/windproof, the other thermal) I'll sacrifice looks if it will save my butt in an accident any day. On reviewer stated he wore a size 36, and the pants were tight over jeans, so being a 36 myself I opted to go up one size to the 2XLT.

Project84 05-06-2010 03:30 AM

All this conversation and I never noticed where you said you've owned a bike before.

I'm curious, if you haven't, why you think it's a good idea to spend so much money on your first one?

The Ninja 250 I just bought as my first bike (never riden anything, not even a dirt bike) was previously wrecked. I wanted it that way to be honest. It's an '04 w/ 5,500 miles and I paid $1,200 for it. Clean title, but a dented tank and aftermarket front turn signals. I used "QuickSteel" and repaired a leak in the fuel tank and some $3 nail polish touched up the paint dings on the bike to make it a nice 20 footer. Rides great, tracks straight, engine purrs (at 14k RPM redline :) )

I'm 6'1" and 200lbs, it's comfortable for me. Knees got fatigued last Friday, but I was on the bike for 5 hours and put 140 miles on it of urban riding, just out killing time and learning the bike.

I highly suggest picking up a Ninja 500 (because the 250's suspension is weak for me at 200lbs, but the 500 has stiffer shocks, I'm going to upgrade to them) for $1,500-2,000. It doesn't seem like pulling the trigger on $12k is scaring you much, so why not spend a lot less dough, ride a Ninja 500 for a few months and not fear dropping it, and mid/end of summer pick up the bike you really want and sell the Ninja for the exact price you paid.

That's my plan in a nutshell. I'll probably upgrade to a GS500, R6, or zx6 before summer's end.

I suggest starting on something you don't have too much money tied up in. What if you realize it's not for you. What if you drop it the first day you have it out. What if someone rams you while you're leaving the DMV after registering it?

Jay2TheRescue 05-06-2010 05:18 AM

Actually now, I am looking at a different bike, $9,000. I really do not like the look of the sport bikes at all. I will get the engine guards before I ride, not just to protect the bike, but I consider them a safety item as well. I have looked at the Japanese cruisers, but have yet to find one that really fits me well. Also, looking at the used values, the Harleys don't seem to get much cheaper than about $7,000, even when looking at 80's & 90's models. Yes, I can buy a new Japanese bike for the same money, but a year later I will have a $5,000 bike.

The bike I'm currently looking at is a 2006 Harley Dyna Super Glide with forward controls. A local dealer has one with 15,000 miles on it for just under $9,000. Its in immaculate condition, and has fuel injection and the smoother shifting 6 speed transmission as well. I had toyed with the idea of getting a cheap Jap bike to learn on, but I do not want to mess with buying a bike that I really don't want, and then buy another 6 months later.

The Dyna with forward controls fits me well, and is a little smaller than the Soft Tail bikes which I feel are probably too big for me to learn on.

Project84 05-06-2010 08:16 AM

What about a Savage, Virago, or Vulcan?

They're all cruisers and can be had very cheap.

I'd just HATE myself forever if I spent +/-$10k on something and ditched it a few weeks/months later. Ditching my $1,200 Ninja would only make me part it out and make $600-700 and then buy another one for that price, just older and more used. I'm not really out any money at all.

It's your decision really. I just went into this with the mindset that "sh!t happens" especially to beginners and if/when it does, I don't want to be financially burdened by a payment for something that isn't even roadworthy.

It's just like a teen who first gets their license. You wouldn't want to see them in a new Mercedes because it's inevitable that they'll make a mistake and bang it up. You put them in a Chevy Citation for a few years and if they can manage, then they get something nicer. We are adults, but being new to bikes is just like being new to driving a car IMHO. Start on something cheap, get the basics down, then upgrade. If you do so within a few months, you'll really be out little/no money at all unless you do drop it/wreck it, at which point, you can smile knowing you made the right decision in getting a cheap starter bike rather than dropping your $12k Harley.

Jay2TheRescue 05-06-2010 11:14 AM

I did look at Vulcans, boulevards, Triumph Bonneville, and the Shadow Aero when shopping. They're nice looking bikes, but you still can't touch one new enough to be fuel injected for a decent price. I have scaled back though. Considering ultimately I'd like an Indian Chief Roadmaster, but I feel that's too much bike to learn on. As far as the Harleys go, I really like the Heritage Soft Tail Classic ($15,000 & up used) but felt that was probably too much bike to start with too. I looked at Harley Sportsters, but even with forward controls they're really too small for me. It was suggested to me that I try the Harley Dyna models. They are a good fit for me when forward controls are installed. The price is cheaper than the Soft Tails, and they are really easy to balance.

Of course, I have not made a final decision yet, and I probably won't buy a bike for at least 2 more months, but right now I'm leaning towards a Harley Dyna Super Glide. Its a nice looking bike at an affordable price, and I won't grow out of it in 2 months.

Project84 05-06-2010 06:55 PM

Not sure why you're so worried about fuel injected models over carbs. New ninjas are still built with carbs, even after the complete redesign of the outside and some engine mods to smooth out the power band.

What's you're beef w/ carbs? As long as you don't touch them, they're fine....???

Jay2TheRescue 05-06-2010 08:50 PM

The main reason I don't want a carbed bike is that I would like to not spend a lot of time starting it if I don't ride for 2 weeks. I also think from an economy standpoint it would be easier to squeeze extra mileage out of a fuel injected model. There is no significant price difference between older carbed models, and the newer fuel injected ones. Even comparing 80's and 90's models the used bikes are going for at least $5,000. Harley started fuel injecting their entire product line in 2004. I would consider a carbed model if it was significantly cheaper, but looking at used values this is not the case. Trying to get a cheap bike to learn on I even looked at salvage title bikes with some road rash on them, and even those were $7,000 - $8,000. The 2006 HD Dyna Super Glide with Fuel Injection and the revised, smoother shifting transmission at $9,000 seems like a good deal to me. I of course will talk them down on the price when I go to buy.

Another point about fuel injection is that I want a trouble free bike to ride. I don't want to be working on it with any amount of regular frequency. Even my brother in law's carbed Harley which he has kept maintained very well is a PITA to start if he doesn't ride for 2 weeks, and it runs rough cold. I want something to ride, not work on.

GasSavers_Erik 05-07-2010 06:33 PM

I've owned 5 carbed street bikes (three that were 2 cylinder and two that were 4 cylinder).

The only issue I had with them is if they sit a couple of years without running, then you have to remove the carb bowls and spray cleaner up into the idle and main jets.

All my carb bikes started fine first thing in the spring- maybe an extra 5 seconds of cranking.

Maybe Harleys have a poor carb design that makes them troublesome, but I wouldn't judge all carbs by your BIL's bad experiences.

IMHO carbs will be more easily modified for economy (change the jets) than a FI bike (maybe flash the ECU?)

Jay2TheRescue 05-07-2010 06:54 PM

I guess I've been soured on carbs by Rusty and The Big White Hooptie. Both have carb issues that can't be remedied cheaply, while the fuel injected Beast keeps pushing on with absolutely no fuel system issues. I am actually thinking about eventually converting the Hooptie to fuel injection at some point in the future.

It seems that the depreciation on a Harley seems to level off after about 5 years. With the 5 year old bikes being roughly the same price as the 15 year old bikes, I'd rather take the newer, fuel injected model. Harley also introduced a smoother shifting 6 speed transmission in 2006. For this reason I would like to focus on trying to get a deal on a 2006 model (to get fuel injection and the 6 speed transmission), but really don't want a bike older than a 2004.