Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   MID/VSS issue (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mid-vss-issue-2093.html)

SVOboy 05-12-2006 04:18 PM

MID/VSS issue

Quote:

So I'm trying to hook up something electronic that runs off the VSS. My friend has done so successfully on his Del Sol, but I can't get the VSS portion to work.

What I'm wondering is if this needs to have an electronic signal, where can I get that signal in my 91 CRX? I am told it gets converted to digital somewhere, but I dunno where.

I have an OBD1 ecu swap if that matters.

Thanks.
Damn h-t post right there. Anyone here got any ideas?

GasSavers_DaX 05-12-2006 06:19 PM

I think it gets converted to

I think it gets converted to an electrical signal at the back of the speedometer, but I have never found exactly where this is. I have taken apart many gauge clusters and I do know that cable VSS's clusters have electronic connections at the back of the gauge, but I don't know which wire to tell you to use.

This is something I need to think about before I do an OBD-1 conversion, because the OBD-1 ECU's need a VSS signal.

n0rt0npr0 05-14-2006 10:40 AM

'

Theres only two wires. It does get converted at the back of the speedo, or in some cases you will just have to follow the mechanical cable to the VSS drum.

You can find out which wire by just using the voltmeter while the motor is running, and a sprinkle of common sense and patience :D Experimentation is needed in just about every case.

I hook up navigational systems and run into this problem.

SVOboy 05-14-2006 10:48 AM

I think I am needed the

I think I am needed the electronic model, which happens to be broken on the transmission I got, :(

n0rt0npr0 05-14-2006 05:16 PM

'

wish I knew more to help, I just always thought they were same...I didn't think the conversion whether made in the tranny or behind the speedo would give any different a signal. On my 89 Chevy, the vss signal goes right into the ECU. And it gets converted where the maechanical line ends behind the Speedo...

I just figure if your car has a speedo that works, then you have a signal you can splice into and use. :?

SVOboy 05-14-2006 05:18 PM

That's what I had though,

That's what I had though, I'll have to test it, I guess.

****ing **** is all I can say.

n0rt0npr0 05-14-2006 05:30 PM

'

cool yah just give it a whirl :)

SVOboy 05-14-2006 05:33 PM

I'm just a little clueless

I'm just a little clueless why it wouldn't work on the wire going to the ecu, and it doesn't look like I can shove this electronic vss in my auto tranny, I guess I just need to get the swap over with, though that's very scary.

n0rt0npr0 05-14-2006 08:02 PM

'

"wire?"

Mine has two, a purple and a yellow lead.

SVOboy 05-14-2006 08:22 PM

Mine has a big piece of shit

Mine has a big piece of **** centimeter thick cable to the cluster, then one wire going to the ecu. The electronic one has three wires, 5v, ground, and wire to the cluster/ecu.