Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   It happened again! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/it-happened-again-2980.html)

Matt Timion 09-20-2006 11:26 AM

It happened again!

I asked a simple question about the Japanese version of the Honda Fit/Jazz engine and the viability of swapping it into my fit (someday, not right away).

Well, the usual response occured, asking me why I'd even consider such a swap, and that I'd never make the money back.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8714

ARGH... no one EVER tells racers that they'll never make the money back for a $300 intake or a $2000 body kit.

BEN_EJ8 09-20-2006 11:31 AM

Theyd probably be all for it if you spent well over 5k on a k20 swap :p

omgwtfbyobbq 09-20-2006 11:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sites are run by special interest groups who want to see certain products promoted. It's pretty easy to pay someone, or a couple someone's, $7/hour to browse the site every hour and post "encouragement". You'll probably be able to do it, but it'll take a while before the cost is reasonable, and you'll probably need a half-cut, maybe even from canada since iirc the epa is cracking down on engine imports?

Matt Timion 09-20-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sites are run by special interest groups who want to see certain products promoted. It's pretty easy to pay someone, or a couple someone's, $7/hour to browse the site every hour and post "encouragement". You'll probably be able to do it, but it'll take a while before the cost is reasonable, and you'll probably need a half-cut, maybe even from canada since iirc the epa is cracking down on engine imports?

I emailed an importer today to ask about the viability of doing it. Waiting for their reply. Did the Jazz come out in Canada too?

omgwtfbyobbq 09-20-2006 12:17 PM

Not according to wikipedia, just came out in north america at the same time? I think a lot of engines are coming from Japan via Canada to circumvent importing issues.

kickflipjr 09-20-2006 05:10 PM

swap for LESS horsepower?!!??! you must be some sort of wacko :D

AlexK 09-20-2006 10:57 PM

Hi Matt,
I can't find the fuel log for your Fit. I am interested in its efficiency. When I bought my Yaris I was seriously considering the Fit. The main reasons I didn't buy one were availability and a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong.
I am happy with the Yaris and from the tests I've read the Yaris gets better mpg than the Fit. Do you think it's true?
I'll be in Japan next month. Want me to take a picture of the engine compartment of a Japanese Fit? Not sure how I would be able to do that but I could try.

onegammyleg 09-20-2006 11:18 PM

HI AlexK -¨a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong. ¨

You listen to car sales men ??? O dear

Matt Timion 09-20-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK
Hi Matt,
I can't find the fuel log for your Fit. I am interested in its efficiency. When I bought my Yaris I was seriously considering the Fit. The main reasons I didn't buy one were availability and a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong.
I am happy with the Yaris and from the tests I've read the Yaris gets better mpg than the Fit. Do you think it's true?
I'll be in Japan next month. Want me to take a picture of the engine compartment of a Japanese Fit? Not sure how I would be able to do that but I could try.

The Fit is on a boat between Japan and the USA right now. The Fit itself is using zero gasoline for this trip, so I guess it's getting infinite mpg right now.

FIT FTW!

seriously though, it'll be here in like 3 weeks.

I do have to agree with onegammyleg though... car salesmen usually don't know anything about cars. It's rather sad actually. they know a lot about fiancing though...

This is the first I've heard about the Fit having a timing chain. I'd be happy either way though, as my civic and my wife's CRX both had timing belts and we have never had a problem. Now that I know how to actually replace them, it isn't too scary.

JanGeo 09-21-2006 01:58 AM

my xB has a chain