It happened again! - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
It happened again!

I asked a simple question about the Japanese version of the Honda Fit/Jazz engine and the viability of swapping it into my fit (someday, not right away).

Well, the usual response occured, asking me why I'd even consider such a swap, and that I'd never make the money back.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8714

ARGH... no one EVER tells racers that they'll never make the money back for a $300 intake or a $2000 body kit.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
BEN_EJ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 44
Country: United States
Theyd probably be all for it if you spent well over 5k on a k20 swap
__________________

__________________
BEN_EJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sites are run by special interest groups who want to see certain products promoted. It's pretty easy to pay someone, or a couple someone's, $7/hour to browse the site every hour and post "encouragement". You'll probably be able to do it, but it'll take a while before the cost is reasonable, and you'll probably need a half-cut, maybe even from canada since iirc the epa is cracking down on engine imports?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sites are run by special interest groups who want to see certain products promoted. It's pretty easy to pay someone, or a couple someone's, $7/hour to browse the site every hour and post "encouragement". You'll probably be able to do it, but it'll take a while before the cost is reasonable, and you'll probably need a half-cut, maybe even from canada since iirc the epa is cracking down on engine imports?
I emailed an importer today to ask about the viability of doing it. Waiting for their reply. Did the Jazz come out in Canada too?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
Not according to wikipedia, just came out in north america at the same time? I think a lot of engines are coming from Japan via Canada to circumvent importing issues.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
kickflipjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 933
Country: United States
swap for LESS horsepower?!!??! you must be some sort of wacko
__________________
2008 EPA adjusted:


Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
AlexK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Country: United States
Hi Matt,
I can't find the fuel log for your Fit. I am interested in its efficiency. When I bought my Yaris I was seriously considering the Fit. The main reasons I didn't buy one were availability and a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong.
I am happy with the Yaris and from the tests I've read the Yaris gets better mpg than the Fit. Do you think it's true?
I'll be in Japan next month. Want me to take a picture of the engine compartment of a Japanese Fit? Not sure how I would be able to do that but I could try.
__________________
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 541
Country: United States
HI AlexK -¨a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong. ¨

You listen to car sales men ??? O dear
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
Hi Matt,
I can't find the fuel log for your Fit. I am interested in its efficiency. When I bought my Yaris I was seriously considering the Fit. The main reasons I didn't buy one were availability and a Honda salesman told me the Fit uses a timing belt and not a chain. I later learned he was wrong.
I am happy with the Yaris and from the tests I've read the Yaris gets better mpg than the Fit. Do you think it's true?
I'll be in Japan next month. Want me to take a picture of the engine compartment of a Japanese Fit? Not sure how I would be able to do that but I could try.
The Fit is on a boat between Japan and the USA right now. The Fit itself is using zero gasoline for this trip, so I guess it's getting infinite mpg right now.

FIT FTW!

seriously though, it'll be here in like 3 weeks.

I do have to agree with onegammyleg though... car salesmen usually don't know anything about cars. It's rather sad actually. they know a lot about fiancing though...

This is the first I've heard about the Fit having a timing chain. I'd be happy either way though, as my civic and my wife's CRX both had timing belts and we have never had a problem. Now that I know how to actually replace them, it isn't too scary.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
my xB has a chain
__________________

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile Site Extremely Slow TheStealth Fuelly Web Support and Community News 0 09-05-2013 08:07 AM
Mobile site - MPG reading incorrect Cyberprog Fuelly Web Support and Community News 3 05-30-2011 12:27 PM
Unbelievably high MPG in Recent Activity piscataway Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 06-29-2010 05:04 AM
Current TV spot merckrx General Fuel Topics 1 08-14-2008 07:36 AM
any Fifth Gear/Top Gear fans? MetroMPG General Discussion (Off-Topic) 9 02-23-2006 12:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.