Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Crazy whacked-out FE ideas? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/crazy-whacked-out-fe-ideas-4331.html)

theclencher 04-19-2007 08:53 PM

Crazy whacked-out FE ideas?

:cool:

trebuchet03 04-19-2007 09:17 PM

On the subject of the spring loaded starter - regen braking system and what have you...

Large engines... I mean LARGE engines use compressed air to start... Lets have a regen compressor charge a tank and have a compressed air motor start the engine or at least put some power to the wheels :thumbup: :thumbup:

------
For long haul applications... convert to a turbine engine.

------
Waste exhaust heat? Install an ammonia refrigeration system on your exhaust manifold... Recycled heat into air conditioning... Actually, I've always wanted to try this - by converting a continuous cycle propane fridge :D

------
Air Brake turbines for regen braking... seems rather inefficient, but hilarious.

------
Electric powered 5th (or even 6th) wheel... A hybrid conversion :P

----
It's late... and I'm fried :P

Sludgy 04-20-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 48296)

2. "Collapsable" bodies that "squish" way down at speed and "stand up" at low speed/stops. Aiming for ultimate minimal aero drag at speed via extreme frontal area reduction (think Opel Eco-Speedster or 1L) yet in that configuration much comfort, visibility (outward and by others towards the vehicle), and ability to move around inside is compromised, so when you need to move around a bit, or have more stuff in the car, or are going slowly, or are in town, or are stopped, or want to ingress/egress, you "stand up" the bodywork and have "normal" ergos. Small people would be able to squish down more than big people.

3. Multiple active cylinder arrangements- yes just now we are getting "DOD"; an extreme example of what I'm thinking of is, say, (20) 5HP 1cyl engines that can be run independently and coupled/decoupled from the drivetrain by computer control as HP requirements demand. No pistons going up and down that aren't "working".

7. Opposed piston engine configuration seems like it would reject less heat thus be more efficient. It's an old and proven layout... would it work in the automotive world?

#2 Has already been done. Citroens used air bladder suspensions that could raise and lower the body. I think Firestone-Bridgestone still makes air springs that would make it possible.

#3 should be easy. All it would take is a clutch between the cylinders. It would be expensive, though. Maybe just a single clutch between two boxer twins would be cost effective.

#4 is one of my favorites. A twin cylinder opposed piston two stroke engine would be as smooth as any four, but it would be much lighter and more fuel efficient (due zero heat tranfer to cylinder heads).

zpiloto 04-20-2007 07:28 AM

Not wacked ideas probably not new but I would like to see more gears in transmisions for super low cruising rpms. Also gears made from better and less friction material. ( I think there could huge gains in drive train losses)

Auto shutoff. Let off the gas the engine dies. Push on the gas it starts back up.

Higher compression engines that can still run 87 octane.

Preheated everything from oil to coolant to cat. Have fluids maintain 160 degrees, or better, for up to 8 hours.

Economy mode on cruise control so that it would hold load.

Easily programable ECU and TCU for economy. Or even modes you can select.

Peakster 04-20-2007 08:11 AM

I'm still toying with the idea of sails on top of my car's roof on those really windy days. Yesterday, winds were gusting up to 50mph from the SE and ruined my highway FE.

I love that spring-loaded starter idea! It would probably be more durable too.

GasSavers_Brock 04-20-2007 09:13 AM

I have forever thought of having a 2 engine vehicle. One that just gets you going and one that runs at peak output at 65mph on the highway. For me 95% of the time I would never need the "pusher" motor but even with a small 90 hp 1.9L diesel it is more then I need 80% of the time. Maybe a diesel electric hybrid with a 25 hp diesel engine and 80 hp electric motor and just enough battery to go 5-10 miles?

BeeUU 04-20-2007 09:25 AM

Mintr change

As the weather has warmed up the past few days I thought of this:

solar powered engine block heater. Using the heat in the passenger compartment as it sits during the day to warm the engine over ambient temp.

Not too crazy, but I think I will try......

Opps should say "Minor" in the title.

Bill in Houston 04-20-2007 12:03 PM

Automatically inflating and deflating tailcone and nosecone.

Sludgy 04-20-2007 12:32 PM

A non-overdrive tranny.

Every gear set in the driveline sucks up about 5% of the net power due to friction. So, you lose ~10% using both an overdrive gearset and a final drive gear set.

Direct drive top gear to the final gear would only lose 5%. This would make the engine scream at highway speeds, so a tall final gear is needed. To compensate, add shorter gears for first, second third, fourth and reverse.

cfg83 04-20-2007 12:56 PM

Hello -

Using the "Solar hot water heater" concept to heat up the coolant. Coolant pipework would have to be modified to have logical "in" and "out" point that would be optimum for recirculation. Electric pump needed would also be external. Only works at home on a sunny day because the black piping would be installed on the roof of the house.

CarloSW2

JanGeo 04-20-2007 01:20 PM

Paint the hood flat black and put the aluminum tubing under it connected to rubber hoses to the heating hoses. Hood gets hot and heats the water in the block. Plus you can run it as an additional radiator in the summer and snow melting system in the winter.

BeeUU 04-20-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 48373)
Hello -

Using the "Solar hot water heater" concept to heat up the coolant. Coolant pipework would have to be modified to have logical "in" and "out" point that would be optimum for recirculation. Electric pump needed would also be external. Only works at home on a sunny day because the black piping would be installed on the roof of the house.

CarloSW2

Ah but my craziness is, I was thinking this would be a mobile system that travels with the car taking advantage of the 150 degree interior temps that tend to build in a closed car. A solar panel powered electric pump it part of the system too. One of those coolant canisters would be a good addition too.

The drawback is it would only work on sunny days. But it is always sunny in LA is it not? :D

rh77 04-20-2007 01:23 PM

The List

• To expand on the 5th-wheel idea: use it to make your own hybrid. Could be engaged and disengaged against an existing tire or onto pavement: acts as an electric motor pusher or generator
  • More EOC items than run off of momentum: vacuum for brakes, alternator, etc (related to 5th wheel)
  • Grid powered CAT heater for emissions
  • Traffic-light remote (like the Fire Department) :D Calm down, JK
  • In-car command center to include weather conditions (wind speed, direction, ambient temp) + access to the Metro Area's traffic cameras (can be done with a wireles broadband internet connection) Newer luxo cars have built-in system much similar, but no real-time traffic views
  • access to wind-tunnel testing
  • custom IAT system to detect and distribute air (warm or ambient) for a final, target air-temp
  • Have access to a program that captures and analyzes all OBD-II sensor outputs, and helps make recommendations on tuning for FE.
  • And the craziest whacked out FE idea: a mechanic in your area that understands hypermiling!

trebuchet03 04-20-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 48378)
  • Traffic-light remote (like the Fire Department) :D Calm down, JK

Seriously.... A system for the same goal exists! Place digital signs between traffic lights that say how fast you need to go in order to get a green light... Obviously, they need to be linked up to the traffic timer and they will by dynamic, changing frequently but never going above the speed limits.

OR even better -- have the traffic lights broadcast when they will change... Receiver in the car linked with a GPS. The speed you need can be easily calculated (knowing distance from light, time till red). And display that to the driver. No more useless idling and acceleration :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote:

To expand on the 5th-wheel idea: use it to make your own hybrid. Could be engaged and disengaged against an existing tire or onto pavement: acts as an electric motor pusher or generator
That's what I was thinking.... Make it rotate on a 90 degree angle while raising the rear end and now you've got an auto parallel parking system that's much faster than the Lexus design :P <-- some college engineers actually did that :thumbup:

Quote:

Automatically inflating and deflating tail cone and nosecone.
Holy Crap - brilliant!.... I'm thinking inflatable power kites now.... The tricky part (but easily resolved) -- having it roll back up.

zpiloto 04-20-2007 02:04 PM

Brock: I too really like the cruise engine idea. I'd like to see the two engines share a cooling system somehow, so that the first one running warms up the second and vice versa, so they don't suffer cold engine operation as much.

Quote:

This is brilliant. I've often though about just sticking a DC motor in the trunk with a chain and sprocket attached to one wheel some how and use that to power up to 20-25 mph and then use the ICE. The ICE could recharge also.

cfg83 04-20-2007 02:29 PM

BeeUU -

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeUU (Post 48377)
Ah but my craziness is, I was thinking this would be a mobile system that travels with the car taking advantage of the 150 degree interior temps that tend to build in a closed car. A solar panel powered electric pump it part of the system too. One of those coolant canisters would be a good addition too.

I think you and JanGeo are almost speaking the same language.

Quote:

The drawback is it would only work on sunny days. But it is always sunny in LA is it not? :D
Funny you should say that ... but yes, almost always. This summer, something like that would probably work really well. The black hood that JanGeo is talking about might make even make my station-wagonette look "cool".

CarloSW2

cfg83 04-20-2007 02:37 PM

Hello -

Some kind of pedal/crank system to enable adding more juice to the electrical system. Every little bit counts and it's good for your health, right? Something to do when your driving other than talk on the cellphone and eat sloppy-joes.

Of course, you'd probably end up with disproportionately sized arms and legs.

If that's against the law in your jurisdiction, then make it for the passenger(s) only.

Question : How many hamsters does it take to start a Scion?

CarloSW2

MorningGaser 04-20-2007 02:41 PM

Here's a wacked out way to improve one's MPG...Divorce! Yes, divorce....if you're mate is say 120lbs, then leaving her will remove 120lbs from your car!

BeeUU 04-20-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorningGaser (Post 48395)
Here's a wacked out way to improve one's MPG...Divorce! Yes, divorce....if you're mate is say 120lbs, then leaving her will remove 120lbs from your car!

Too expensive. But it will free up time to mod your car!!!! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFG83
I think you and JanGeo are almost speaking the same language.

I think my post was a bit late, I guess I held it open too long, work interfering again. :) I like his idea better, less coolant in the passenger compartment is good. Plus you can use your newly modified electric water pump to move the fluid. Neat.

atomicradish 04-20-2007 10:24 PM

I know this is far from an outrageous FE idea, but perhaps it's one that is so simply it's overlooked?

Don't fill you gas tank over 1/2 a tank, or even lower than that if you have a large tank. You'll save the extra weight of all the gasoline.

Has this been suggested? It's just something that popped into my head earlier today. I can't do it unfortunately because I have to fill up to get readings, but some with a scan gauge would do well to use it.

zpiloto 04-21-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 48435)
I know this is far from an outrageous FE idea, but perhaps it's one that is so simply it's overlooked?

Don't fill you gas tank over 1/2 a tank, or even lower than that if you have a large tank. You'll save the extra weight of all the gasoline.

Has this been suggested? It's just something that popped into my head earlier today. I can't do it unfortunately because I have to fill up to get readings, but some with a scan gauge would do well to use it.

Here's a thread on it. It did not make a noticable difference for me running 5 gallons opposed to 15.

Welcome to the site.