Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   New "High Mileage" category? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/new-high-mileage-category-4913.html)

GasSavers_Kraig 06-10-2007 11:38 AM

New "High Mileage" category?

Being of a competitive nature, I'm discouraged to be hovering around the mid teens for placement on the mileage list. There's no way I can get the mileage that some of you get as I drive about 70 miles every day to work. There's no way I can coast for 35 miles to work and get there on time! You urban travelers seem to have the advantage for posting high numbers as you can spend a good deal of time coasting.

I still seem to be doing well as I have no instrumentation and have averaged about 53 mpg for my last 3 tanks! (Around 48 mpg for 13,000 miles)

I propose that there be a category for those that travel over a 1000 miles a month. It's easy to go out and hypermile a "few" miles and produce awesome numbers.....

(I realize this probably won't happen, but you can't blame me for trying!)

omgwtfbyobbq 06-10-2007 11:45 AM

Why not leave earlier?

rvanengen 06-10-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraig (Post 56412)
Being of a competitive nature, I'm discouraged to be hovering around the mid teens for placement on the mileage list. There's no way I can get the mileage that some of you get as I drive about 70 miles every day to work. There's no way I can coast for 35 miles to work and get there on time! You urban travelers seem to have the advantage for posting high numbers as you can spend a good deal of time coasting.

I still seem to be doing well as I have no instrumentation and have averaged about 53 mpg for my last 3 tanks! (Around 48 mpg for 13,000 miles)

I propose that there be a category for those that travel over a 1000 miles a month. It's easy to go out and hypermile a "few" miles and produce awesome numbers.....

(I realize this probably won't happen, but you can't blame me for trying!)

Also, how about a category focused on % above EPA for those of us starting with low MPG vehicles that realistically don't have a chance at 40mpg or higher? Also, maybe one for those who can't use a scangague or supermid? ;)

rvanengen 06-10-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 56414)
Why not leave earlier?

Sleep? :D

omgwtfbyobbq 06-10-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvanengen (Post 56415)
Also, how about a category focused on % above EPA for those of us starting with low MPG vehicles that realistically don't have a chance at 40mpg or higher?

Lower left hand corner. :thumbup:

rvanengen 06-10-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 56417)

Ahhh (looking stupid)... :) ;)

repete86 06-10-2007 12:38 PM

I drive well over 1k miles per month. I do alot of long distance driving for work and for demonstrations. I have no trouble getting great mileage.

I do think that it would be cool to have different ratings for how high above EPA one gets like they do on cleanmpg.com. Everyone over 20% is a hyermiler here while people like COZX2 are over 200% above EPA.

GasSavers_Kraig 06-10-2007 01:16 PM

As for leaving earlier, I already get up at 4:45 AM :eek:

I'm not complaining about my MPG, I just can't compete with the urban hypermilers.....

I think the general population would be more impressed/relate with those that travel long distance and get good mpg, than all those short distance fanatical hypermilers :D (I wish I had a short commute............)

landspeed 06-10-2007 01:17 PM

Note - everyone should put *all* the gas/petrol they use onto their gaslog - otherwise the results would be skewed (I would be at 80MPGus now for example) :)

SVOboy 06-10-2007 01:20 PM

I get much better mileage on the open road then I do in town, so I guess this would work out well for me, :)