Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Need info on turbines (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/need-info-on-turbines-6085.html)

91CavGT 09-15-2007 02:45 PM

Need info on turbines

I need some info on turbines. The ones that are powered by non-flameable gas that can have a pulley connected to it so as to power engine accessories.

I don't want to get too indpeth on this idea as I don't even know if it will work, but if it does then it would mean 10-15 hp gains on most cars and a substantial increase in gas mileage. In short, I need something that can turn a non-flameable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power.

I think I may have found a way to utilize some of the lost energy in a combustion engine!!

GasSavers_Red 09-15-2007 03:48 PM

a 0psi turbo?

trebuchet03 09-15-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91CavGT (Post 72437)
I need some info on turbines. The ones that are powered by non-flameable gas that can have a pulley connected to it so as to power engine accessories.

I don't want to get too indpeth on this idea as I don't even know if it will work, but if it does then it would mean 10-15 hp gains on most cars and a substantial increase in gas mileage. In short, I need something that can turn a non-flammable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power.

I think I may have found a way to utilize some of the lost energy in a combustion engine!!

So, I'm thinking you mean a centrifugal compressor --> turbo charger.

But the "In short, I need something that can turn a non-flammable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power." Is a bit hard to come by. Turbines typically take pressure and temperature --> generate work and out comes a delta pressure and delta temperature. From a car, you have exhaust gas, and a pressure build up.

So that said, for a turbine, you'll need a pressure build up of some sort. In large operations, it's usually pounds of steam delivered at a certain pressure.

A sterling engine, however, can take a temperature difference and make rotational work ;)

91CavGT 09-15-2007 06:14 PM

Maybe turbine was a bad choice of words.

I don't know how much flow this device will yield yet.

I had a brief thought to utilize a modified turbo, but I would have to find or fabricate some kind of gear setup to lower the rpm down to a more useable rpm band. Not to mention trying to find a way to keep everything balanced at 100,000+ rpm.

trebuchet03 09-15-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91CavGT (Post 72454)
Maybe turbine was a bad choice of words.

I don't know how much flow this device will yield yet.

I had a brief thought to utilize a modified turbo, but I would have to find or fabricate some kind of gear setup to lower the rpm down to a more useable rpm band. Not to mention trying to find a way to keep everything balanced at 100,000+ rpm.

I'm guessing here... but are you trying to recover waste heat -- and put it to the crank?

Like this?
turbocompound System

Is explaining your idea out of the question? I can understand if the answer is "no" - IP is a big deal these days :p

91CavGT 09-16-2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 72459)
I'm guessing here... but are you trying to recover waste heat -- and put it to the crank?

Like this?
turbocompound System

Is explaining your idea out of the question? I can understand if the answer is "no" - IP is a big deal these days :p

not quit, but similar. In a round about way, the exhaust would indirectly be powering a turbine which would then power the engine accessories.

I think I have found a different way of doing this system without a turbine.

As an fyi about myself, I have come up with several devices for the aftermarket world for the Dodge SRT-4m but each device that I made took me several months of research. This device will take me many months of research before I even think about trying to build it.

GasSavers_Glacial 09-16-2007 01:49 PM

Heh, how about driving an alternator off an exhaust turbine?

91CavGT 09-16-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 72485)
Heh, how about driving an alternator off an exhaust turbine?

The only problem with doing that is it still takes power to turn the alternator. You add exhaust backpressure with the turbine. My idea is similar but the exhaust does not directly spin the turbine so there should be no added backpressure accept for maybe at high rpms.

JanGeo 09-16-2007 06:51 PM

If there is no backpressure created then there is no energy captured - you need pressure to exert a force on the turbine blades to get it to produce energy output. Just having something spin at high speed with some hot gasses blowing on them will not produce any useful energy output - all you are doing is overcoming the bearing friction to spin the blades. Like a dremmel tool with lots of RPM but no torque - only good for light cutting and grinding.

trebuchet03 09-16-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 72503)
If there is no backpressure created then there is no energy captured - you need pressure to exert a force on the turbine blades to get it to produce energy output. Just having something spin at high speed with some hot gasses blowing on them will not produce any useful energy output - all you are doing is overcoming the bearing friction to spin the blades. Like a dremmel tool with lots of RPM but no torque - only good for light cutting and grinding.

Ditto

Kinda like those guys that proposed putting micro wind turbines on the sides of busy roads... That would have reduced all of our fuel economy while inefficiently generating less net energy :thumbdown: