Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   VX upshift light (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/vx-upshift-light-6621.html)

Matt Timion 11-06-2007 10:31 AM

VX upshift light

Is there anything that would cause the VX upshift light to not work other than the light being burned out?

78si 11-06-2007 10:44 AM

Its a simple ground signal from your ecu. So it could be wiring, or (less likely) the ecu. When I did my ef swap, I ran a wire from ecu pin d18 to the hatch light.

GasSavers_TomO 11-06-2007 10:51 AM

If the CEL is on, the shift light won't function either.

Has it suddenly stopped working?

Matt Timion 11-06-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 80384)
If the CEL is on, the shift light won't function either.

Has it suddenly stopped working?

The CEL isn't on... but it works (it turns on when I start the car). The upshift light just doesn't work for me at all.

I wonder if a previous owner cut the wire b/c it was annoying or something.

GasSavers_TomO 11-06-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 80385)
The CEL isn't on... but it works (it turns on when I start the car). The upshift light just doesn't work for me at all.

I wonder if a previous owner cut the wire b/c it was annoying or something.

So the upshift light does not come on when the instrument cluster goes through it's bulb check?

Then yes, it's either a burnt out bulb or cut/broken wire. :thumbup: :D

Danronian 11-06-2007 11:17 AM

Just today I was wondering the same thing regarding my non-working shift light, so I took out the bezel, and looked at the back of the cluster. Not much to my surprise, one of the wire-clips wasn't plugged into the back of the cluster. I plugged it in, and now the shift-light works! Yay! Never had it work before, so hopefully using some guidance from it will improve my shifting for better MPG.

My guess is the previous owner got annoyed of it.

Matt Timion 11-06-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 80390)
Just today I was wondering the same thing regarding my non-working shift light, so I took out the bezel, and looked at the back of the cluster. Not much to my surprise, one of the wire-clips wasn't plugged into the back of the cluster. I plugged it in, and now the shift-light works! Yay! Never had it work before, so hopefully using some guidance from it will improve my shifting for better MPG.

My guess is the previous owner got annoyed of it.

guess what I'm doing in a few minutes?

GasSavers_TomO 11-06-2007 11:34 AM

My predictions:
  • You will check the light during the bulb check
  • You will check out the bulb itself
  • You will check the back of the cluster
  • You will check the wiring to the ECU
  • You will get your shift light to work

Lolz

Matt Timion 11-06-2007 12:11 PM

well, it wasn't the connectors behind the cluster. Guess I'll be checking the ECU later.

I did manage to replace the o2 sensor though. It actually responds a lot better already.

GasSavers_TomO 11-06-2007 12:36 PM

Did you happen to check the light bulb itself with an ohm meter when you had the cluster off?