Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   HHR - Doesn't always start-up on first attempt (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/hhr-doesnt-always-start-up-on-first-attempt-9425.html)

trollbait 07-17-2008 06:26 AM

HHR - Doesn't always start-up on first attempt

I'm now driving an HHR, a 2.2L auto with remote start. It is unique from other cars I've driven in starting up. You don't have to hold the key in the ignition position. Just turning it briefly seems to engage a crank cycle from the remote start.
So it's turn the key, starter cranks for a few seconds on its own, engine starts. Usually. Sometimes on cold starts the engine doesn't catch. It'll start on the second attempt. Which is like a regular processwhere the key needs to be held in ignitition.

Any ideas on what is going on?
The battery was replaced not too long ago under warranty. The car just wouldn't start at all with the old one.
On the off chance there's water in the tank, I just put in 16oz of 91% isopropanol.
I'd like to replace the fuel filter, but it appears to be dealer only service. The filter catalogue in the store sadi N/S for fuel filters.
It is possible this is just a quirk of the car.

Ford Man 07-17-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 111386)
I'm now driving an HHR, a 2.2L auto with remote start. It is unique from other cars I've driven in starting up. You don't have to hold the key in the ignition position. Just turning it briefly seems to engage a crank cycle from the remote start.
So it's turn the key, starter cranks for a few seconds on its own, engine starts. Usually. Sometimes on cold starts the engine doesn't catch. It'll start on the second attempt. Which is like a regular processwhere the key needs to be held in ignitition.

Any ideas on what is going on?
The battery was replaced not too long ago under warranty. The car just wouldn't start at all with the old one.
On the off chance there's water in the tank, I just put in 16oz of 91% isopropanol.
I'd like to replace the fuel filter, but it appears to be dealer only service. The filter catalogue in the store sadi N/S for fuel filters.
It is possible this is just a quirk of the car.

If the car is still under warranty I would suggest taking it back to the dealer for diagnosis. Have you checked the new battery to make sure it is fully charged? It could be a little low not sending enough amps to turn the strarter fast enough. Lots of time if battery's have been sitting around on the shelf for a long period of time they will lose part of their charge and need a little charging before putting them in the vehicle.

R.I.D.E. 07-17-2008 11:58 AM

Check the fuel pressure.

regards
gary

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-17-2008 02:30 PM

Or reinstall stock plugs if replaced with Bosch Platinum etc.

kamesama980 07-17-2008 05:55 PM

AFAIK: all GM products since the early 2000s have that one-touch-start thing with the ignition and all of them I've used are about 70% accurate (and I used to work in a GM dealer so thats a fair cross section). It's all dependant on the computer recognizing that the engine is running beyond the starters input and turning off the starter. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-17-2008 06:11 PM

[sarcasm]Heh, remind me to rush out and buy a light hybrid GM when they start offering it on more models.[/sarcasm]

Meaning of course that they will be frigging annoying of they only start the engine right 70% of the time when you're stopped in traffic.

theholycow 07-18-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 111500)
AFAIK: all GM products since the early 2000s have that one-touch-start thing with the ignition

I haven't noticed it on my 2002... :confused:

kamesama980 07-18-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 111643)
I haven't noticed it on my 2002... :confused:

the sierra? check the manual to be sure. maybe the early 2000s was just the 'nicer' brands (buick, cadillac, pontiac). I know everything since 04 or 05 has it.

My moms 02 Buick does and I've started noticing in the last month that every once in a while it doesn't catch on the first try. but it's also got about the lowest amount of service done to it of any of the cars I saw at the dealership (I filed the repair hard copies so I'd know) the only non wear-item (brakes, shocks, filters) that it's had was the intake manifold gasket which ALL the 3x00 series engines have done.