fixing the AC in my VX - a question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Supporting Member

fixing the AC in my VX - a question

Obviously not exactly a gassaving thread, but the summer temperatures here are sometimes just a bit too much so I am looking to get the AC in my VX going.

I stopped by a mechanica today who was so nice to look at it at no cost at all. He noticed that the compressor had seized and that I needed that new. As you are doing that you usually also replace the dryer he said. Condensor and fan looked newr and good so he said.

So the total cost would come to new compressor from Honda $512, Dryer, estaimted $100 and new pulley around $50, plus labor and recharging the system. All in all it was going in the direction of $900.

Now even though I do believe that it is worth investing an amount like that in a car if you plan to have it for years, I wondered if there were options to make this cheaper, so I looked on Craigslist and found someone who just took a working AC system of his '93 Civic and I can get his compressor/clutch and dryer for $50 plus shipping.

So if I were to use these used parts I would end up more in the neighborhood of maybe $350 or so which sounds a whole lot friendlier.

Now finally my question: are there any drawbacks in using a used compressor/clutch and dryer knowing that these worked fine untill the moment they were (recently) taken off?
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote