Why is AT less efficient? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

With the 4T65E-HD (4-sp automatic) I can control shift point, TC lock-up, and other parameters with my tuner.
I am sure there are ways to adjust settings on most electronically controller automatics.
For the older automatics (example: 92-95 Civics) has anyone tried changing gears to lower the highway cruising RPMs?

GasSavers_Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
I'm REALLY glad I have a manual.
My brain just ain't working right. I thought you meant manual as in Haynes or Chilton or something.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Speaking of Manual

I located the shop manual and noted that I can override the TC engagement through manually engaging 1 or both of the 2 TC lockup sensors via 5V power. Judging by the schematics, it may bypass the VSS and TPS to make the final decision to lock up through the switch override -- I'd just have to be mindful of speeds and coolant temps to prevent further damage to the trans. Of the 3 settings of full, partial, or zero lockup, one sensor allows partial, and the other engages full and uses the Hill/Fuzzy-Logic adaptive computer for shifting (argh). So, during the colder months, perhaps 2 toggles could manually engage these at lower TPS settings once the speed allows. Purely theory.

I'll tell ya, that 50-page section on the automatic transmission looks more complicated than open-heart surgery. Sheesh.

If you're stuck with an auto, I reccommend finding a shop manual that describes exactly what parameters the transmission requires. Further inspection could perhaps find a way to take control of that vicious dictator: the Transmission Control Module.

RH77

RH77
Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Registered Member

Wow thanks for all the responces! I could swap in a Camero 6 speed transmission. I've had two 5 speed manual cars before. On both, I notice if I short shift, I can get better than the EPA highway milage, in the city. I have a 700r4 transmission in my caprice, I would have trade in the newer electrically controlled one and program differnt shift points.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
Wow thanks for all the responces! I could swap in a Camero 6 speed transmission. I've had two 5 speed manual cars before. On both, I notice if I short shift, I can get better than the EPA highway milage, in the city. I have a 700r4 transmission in my caprice, I would have trade in the newer electrically controlled one and program differnt shift points.
A camaro 6 speed will cost you more than a metro
Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
Supporting Member

caprice -

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
I googled "camaro 6th speed manual gear ratios" and found this :

1996 CHEVROLET CAMARO
http://www.media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/pro...996Camaro.html
Quote:
(Paraphrased from URL)
TRANSMISSION : 6-speed manual w/overdrive
Gear Ratios:
1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.30
4th 1.00
5th 0.74
6th 0.50
Reverse 2.90
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #17
Registered Member

and with my gear ratio and tire size, at 75 MPH the engine would be turning 1500 RPM 50 MPH is 1000 RPM. With the low end torque of a 5.7 liter engine, I'd have no problem If I want a little passing power, I could just down shift.
http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 AM   #18
Registered Member

It would be cool driving a huge car with a manual short throw shifter. Like the one in Underworld.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
Registered Member

synthetic tranny fluid?

How about synthetic transmission fluid?
I've seen some posts elsewhere saying that's definitely the way to go.

Any benefits to FE, or just that it lasts longer and probably protects the tranny better?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
Registered Member

From a FE perspective, the main benefit of synthetics is their cold performance (viscosity). They don't thicken as much as mineral fluids as temps drop.

People who live in a year-round warm climate would probably see no FE benefit from synthetic use.

Note that no major synthetic brand claims fuel economy improvements with their use.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote