Spark Plug Comparison Test - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I thought about that but I don't have a die grinder and I'm not sure I could do it very well with a hacksaw. Later this spring I may try comparing my Halo plugs to my Splitfires. That is if I don't lose my Splitfires by then.
You can get one for about $20.00 at Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight is your friend!

katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
*shrug*

Yeah, I need to get a dremel or something when I do my spark plug testing to speed up the grinding.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

It seems to me that this might result in shorter plug life. By side gapping the plugs, a great deal of electrode material has been removed. The spark will now jump the gap to the corner of what's left of the electrode. As that material is eroded, the gap will get wider much faster since there is no other electrode material in proximity, as there was before the modification. I guess this won't matter much to those of us who change our plugs often. I'm the type that's like to "install 'em and forget 'em," though.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy61
I'd be interested to see your results with "side Gapped" plugs. You can find more information at this site about how to modify your stock plugs to get more complete combustion:

http://performanceunlimited.com/docu...degapping.html

I haven't tried this on my car yet but will soon. I'm currently experimenting with Acetone in the fuel. So far so good. I'm seeing better acceleration but haven't burned through my first tank yet so I can't comment on MPG yet.
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
vegasjetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
a great site on spark plug technology
http://www.perma-tune.com/white-paper.html

predominant power comes from initial charge
all power after that moment follows the same path and is redundant with no affect on molecules in the chamber...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The only thing I can add is that by making the gap smaller it sparks sooner by a fraction of a second since the rising voltage spike jumps the gap a little easier thus at a lower voltage thus sooner. Also since the energy content of the coil is fixed and you reduced the voltage then it probably will spark for a longer period of time and not at a higher current.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman
You can get one for about $20.00 at Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight is your friend!
I bought a little Dremel type tool with a bunch of bits and so forth for $10...works fine. Even has some spare brushes.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
GOD that thing was a piece of junk compaired to a real dremel tool - most of the stones were out of balance and not centered on the shaft . Yeah it spins but jeeszzz stop it with your fingers.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
lol...my friend ported his b18 head with one of those....lol
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

(EDIT : I assume your test was with a Saturn S-Series)

I was looking at the E3 spark plug website today, and that led me to your spark plug test thread. Here is something I found on saturnfans regarding Saturn spark plug systems. It seems that Saturns have "waste spark" ignition systems :

Happy Bosch Platinum +4 Users ? (Or any Platinum Plugs)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=8
Quote:
NOTICE: Saturn fans; be advised about a potential problem using platnum type spark plugs installed in engines using the "waste spark" type of ignition system. Please be advised that any engine that uses the waste spark system will run BETTER on the STANDARD type of spark plug, NOT the platinum type. (this includes most (all?) Saturns and both my '98 and '99 SL-2 have this type) There is a scientific reason for this. It is because in a waste spark system, one half of all the spark plugs fire in REVERSE POLARITY. That is, the spark jumps FROM the SIDE electrode to the center electrode. (Normal polarity is when the spark jumps from the center electrode to the side electrode. That is one reason why spark plugs with high milage will develop a "dish" on the underside of the side electrode, where the spark, when it jumps from the center electrode will strike the bottom side of the side electrode and erode the metal and form a slight "dish" shape. This is one of the methods a spark plug will wear in a normal manner.) However, in a waste spark system one-half of the spark plugs are always firing in reverse polarity. This is because the high voltage ignition coil is connected in series with two spark plugs and the two plugs always fire simultaneously but are 360 degrees out of phase, i.e. one wire from an ignition coil is connected to the number one cylinder and the other wire from the same coil is connected to the number four cylinder. The same is true for the other coil except the other coil wires are connected to the number two and three cylinders. The number one and four and number two and three cylinders are always 360 degrees out of phase with each other. (This is the origin of the term "waste spark" because when one coil fires, only one spark plug ignites the fuel-air mixture and the other spark plug "wastes" its spark.) Now, the problem with the platinums is that the center electrode is very small and it is more difficult for the spark to to try to jump onto its "target" with a very small center electrode . The reason the standard design spark plugs will run better is that they have a much larger center electrode for the spark from the side electrode to discharge onto. This is why standard, i.e. Bosch "Super" or equivalent type plugs will run better in any engine using the waste spark ignition system. Engines with the coil over plug (COP) ignition system, (i.e. a seperate and dedicated coil for each cylinder) always run in normal polarity; so platinum spark plugs will work fine in these type ignition systems. Also, be aware that in order to use a waste spark ignition system, the engine must have an even number of cylinders. Five cylinder engines will always use a coil over plug (COP) system or a similar method with a dedicated ignition coil for each spark plug. - Sherrill
Right now I am using the Denso Iridiums with the tiny center electrodes, and I haven't had any real issues.

My question is, would your testing have been hampered by the Saturn's waste spark system? If yes, then the results wouldn't be comparable to cars with normal(?) COP (Coil Over Plug) spark ignition systems.

This might mean that for Saturns, the stock spark plugs are the best :

NGK 6953 V-Power Spark Plug
(Recommended for S series DOHC 1.9L, slightly cooler than the NGK5155)
Part Number: NGK6953

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
The logic doesn't make sense, that one plug fires normally while the corresponding plug fires in reverse? Whats the point?

The Jeep uses a "waste spark" ignition as well with the coils wired in parallel not in series like that thread seems to suggest and I've noticed no difference in wear or drivability when I switched from copper plugs to double platinums.