AVG MPG seems too high - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

AVG MPG seems too high

I just started using fuelly and imported all my previous fuel info from a CSV I made using data from an app I had used prior. Once all that info was imported it calculated my AVG MPG to be ~27MPG, however it states my highest MPG ever is 26MPG.

I know my car does not average ~27MPG, my app I used before had me around 23MPG, which is about right if you just eyeball my data.

Maybe I imported something wrong, but everything looks ok to me. Just curious what may be causing this error.

How does Fuelly calculate the AVG, does it total you fill up MPG and divide by total fill ups, or take total fuel divided by total mileage?

Thanks!

vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
pb

Looks like you had some problems on import. Take a look at all your fuel-ups here. Several had zero miles calculated as the distance.

I just took a look at your import file and several of your odometer readings were at zero. We should have stopped the import at that point--we shouldn't allow a zero odometer reading. So I'll put that on our to-do list to fix.

In the meantime, you might go through your import file and remove any entries that have 0 as the odometer reading. Create a new car and try your import again.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Initially, I had those spots empty, because they are times that I forgot to log mileage, but did log the actual fill up.

When they were empty it did stop the import and told me I must use a numerical value, hence the zero. That's why I added those as partial fill ups and the fill up immediatially following were listed as missed fuel ups.

I can understand the complications of allowing zero fillups, but it would be nice to be able to add a fuelup without mileage for those times we forget to record the mileage at fuel up. Perhaps allow it to take your distance for the two trips and add the fuel for both trips then take the distance between those two?

I will edit the file to remove the zeros in the meantime and see how that helps.

thanks for the quick answer!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
pb

For the spaces where there are gaps, be sure to mark them as missed or you'll get some wildly inaccurate MPG ratings for some tanks. You'll need to add the missed_fuelup column to your CSV file, and include a 0 for most fuel-ups,Â*and a 1 for the fuel-up immediately after a missed fuel-up.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

I edited the CVS and uploaded without the fillups that did not have an odometer reading. Once I corrected the ones that needed marked as "missed fillup" my AVG is at ~24 which seems inline.

Would it be possible to add an option for "missed mileage" so that I can still track my spending via Fuelly, even if it is not included as a mileage statistic?

I thought choosing the fillups with no mileage data as "partial fillup" would do this, but it doesn't appear to.

Thanks for the help. This site really is great!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
pb

No, we don't want to complicate the process of adding fuel-ups by allowing them without an odometer or tripometer reading. That would lead to bad data as well as people would simply forget to include that part and we wouldn't show an error.

Oh, and I updated imports so that you'll get an error with a zero odometer value.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

I can understand the complication.

Thanks for the help and quick replies!

I do like the comment feature so I can track my oil changes alot better now!

Keep up the great work!!