Is there any way to make my gaslog L/100 KM instead of MPG? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
Yes it would sure help if we were able to use metric units directly in the gaslog.

While waiting for that feature to materialize, is anyone interested in having canadian dollars / litre added to the garage calculator?

I currently only support Euro per litre as that's what I'm paying in but I could add some other currency if there is interest.

Simon
I am in BC. It will certainly help me if Canadian dollars and liters can be used in the input. It will help even more if the calculator can automatically post the results on to the gas log by a click of a button, like an automatic form filler. I am a computer illiterate. May be I am asking for too much .

swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member

Done!

Now you can select either EUR or CAD as your currency. Any other currency wanted? It's easy to add more now that the multi currency functionality works.

Also someone from Canada might want to test that I got the calculation right

Having the data go automatically into the gaslog would be handy but it's not really that easy to do. You would need to select your username, select which one of your vehicles your are updating the gaslog for etz.

It's probably as easy to just cut and paste...

Anyway you can test the CAD conversion here:

http://www.milesgallon.com/gas-saver...calculator.php

Simon

Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

milesgallon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Alright I just sent in a message to the site admin offering my services. I've been here a lot lately and would love to help add some nicety features.

Converting litre, imperial or kilometers is obvious, but what would users prefer to be done with the currency? I mean it's easy to just allow input of a different currency and it's most accurate to say that you spent 1.40 Euro/litre and store that as the main information. But I'm thinking how should I convert this so people can compare priceing if they wanted to?

I can either store 1.40 Euro/litre forever and when people view it'll convert to equivalent USD/Gal based on that days Euro-USD value or I could get the current, converted USD/Gal at time of user input and store that on the backend too.

Either way a display like 1.40 Euro/litre ($8.12/gallon) or something would look pretty cool. Just curious if you'd want to see the $ update as the $ value changes or be static. Or if it's a feature not needed at all.

EDIT: Simon, what do you use to capture current exchange rate info? I've never tried to embed something like that before.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
FWIW, another site that can automatically calculate the conversion for you is the standard google search. Just enter an equation in the search box and Google will return the calculation.

Examples:
50 mpg to l/100km
http://www.google.com/search?q=50+mpg+to+l/100km

5 l/100km to mpg:
http://www.google.com/search?q=5+l/100km+to+mpg
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #15

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

www.fuelly.com
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
Registered Member

itjstagame: I have a fixed conversion ratio that I change from time to time. I haven't found a place that would provide free currency conversion that I can get into my own formula.

I think the the input currency should be converted to the other display currencies at the time the price is entered, then those values should be stored in the database.

If looking at historical data several years old this will give the most accurate picture of the price in other currencies as the ratio between currencies can swing 100% over a couple of years time.

Ok, I'm not sure I understand myself what I wrota above but lets say that one person enter the price in dollars and another one in Euro. If the euro value is converted to dollars and stored then the prices in dollars can be compared to each other after ten years even if the ratio between euro and dollar have changed 40% and you would still see how much more expencive the fuel was in Europe than in the US at that time.

in the other scenario where the euro value is converted to dollars at the time it is viewed (ten years after entry) the price in Europe might seem to be lower than the price in the US even though at the time of entry the price was actually higher.

Ok, enough...

78si: I added a link to the tdiclub calculator from milesgallon.com

The think what's usefule with the garage calculator on milesgallon is that you can enter the values from your euro receipt as they are written (without having the think) and you get as output the values that should be entered into the gaslog (still withouth having to think too much)

I would just love to be able to be able to teleport the values over to the gaslog too but the fact that you have to be logged in to post the form makes it difficult.

Simon
Handy gas mileage and automotive calculators at MilesGallon.com lets you find out the real mpg of your vehicle, calculate the fuel consumption and cost for a trip and how about a tool that gives you the total cost per mile for a specifice vehicle over its lifetime.

milesgallon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
I would just love to be able to be able to teleport the values over to the gaslog too but the fact that you have to be logged in to post the form makes it difficult.

Simon
Actually I tried playing with that and they have limited access to the server for posting, so you'd have to spoof the domain you're posting from too. It'd be too much of a pain.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote