More Advanced Search or Sort options - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #1

More Advanced Search or Sort options

Searching through tags, or another type of sort view possible?

I am interested in putting a supercharger in my truck and want to see the difference in MPG I may get. I tried going through a list, but there is too much to go through. I also could not find a way to search through other peoples fill up tags.

In addition to engine type and body style, can a supercharged/turbo filter be added? Some cars have a factory option of a supercharger or turbo.

jdtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
pb

We frequently get requests to add more sorting criteria. And when the main thing you want to do is search and sort, then the more criteria you have the better. But in addition to presenting data, we're collecting data. And the more criteria people have to enter to get started, the less people we'll have entering data. That's our feeling, anyway, and that's why we try to keep things as simple as possible for both entering data and creating vehicles.

Now if you want to look through your tags, that's fairly easy. Just go to the list of all of your fuel-ups and click on a tag. You can do the same thing at other people's list of fuel-ups.

We don't have a way to search through all tags to see what people are tagging things with. That's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure what that would tell you, exactly. What are you hoping to find if you were able to search through other people's tags?

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

"What are you hoping to find if you were able to search through other people's tags?"

Just about anything outside there normal maintenance. For instance, if someone changes to an aftermarket Air intake, and they note the brand like K&N or AFE. If someone switches oil brands or to synthetic oil. Even exhaust systems can have an affect on mileage.

If you could search for a tag on synthetic and then study the trends, it would give a real world idea if there is a benefit in mileage, not just claims on a bottle.

In my case I would want to search for supercharger through out Tacoma's, and then I can look at the mileage trends after it was installed.

Even searching the "description" field of the car would be a big help. I have lots of notes about my truck in the description that may be interesting to other people.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
pb

yeah, I see what you're getting at with tags. I don't think we're set up for that kind of thing right now. I just did a quick search through the database and no one has used the tag 'supercharger', two users have used the tag 'afe' 3 times, and it's the same for 'k&n'. I just don't think we're at critical mass for niche tags like that to be much help--and we don't have any tools that show mileage trends for specific tags. You have to eyeball it now with your own data.

I think a Google search limited to Fuelly might work for some discovery of similar vehicles. Try a search at google like this:

site:fuelly.com Tacoma supercharger

Here it is. Looks like there are three people with Tacomas at the site that mention supercharger somewhere. All data at Fuelly is public, so Google should have most of it in their system.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

I always forget about the google search options, and that seems to work for what I want to find out. Perhaps you guys could add a link, or FAQ for other data searches.

Thanks for taking the time to look into the request.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

You could always add a second car, and record another set of recordings with the turbo/supercharger.

once you remove the thing, I suppose you could continue adding fuel-up results on your old car (the same one, without the turbo).

ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote