Need some validation for logging entries - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Need some validation for logging entries

There apparently isn't any validation currently for logging entries since it allows 133 MPG to be entered for a vehicle which is absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/mdx/2003/moshez/176549

C'mon, this can't be that hard, put a check on entries that doesn't allow > 40 MPG or if you can find anyone there that has a brain at all, you could even use the AVG MPG For the vehicle and not allow an entry greater than 50% higher than the avg mpg for the year and model they are logging an entry for. If you need me to explain that to you, if the aVG MPG for the vehicle is 20 MPG, then a max of 30 is the highest entry allowed since nobody is going to get more than 50% higher than the AVG MPG for a vehicle no matter how carefully they drive and it WOULD NOT ALLOW AN ENTRY OF 133 MPG WHICH IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I report these pages every time I used Fuelly so there is at least one error pretty much for every vehicle I look at. PLEASE ADD SOME VALIDATION FOR THE ENTRIES PEOPLE ARE MAKING TO KEEP THESE CRAZY ENTRIES FROM BEING MADE AND SCREWING UP THE AVG MPG FOR THE VEHICLES WHEN THEY ARE!!!!

openupyoureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

133 MPG is not that ridiculous, look here:

http://www.arbury.co.uk/about-us/arc...ot-308hdi.aspx

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Honestly, that's your response? That there is at least one vehicle somewhere under extraordinary conditions that can get 133 MPG???

Whether or not there are a few vehicles that can get 50 or 60 or 100 mpg isn't the point!!!

133 MPG FOR AN ACURA MDX OR ANY NORMAL MASS MANUFACTURED VEHICLE UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS AND OBVIOUSLY AN ERROR WHEN THE DATA WAS ENTERED!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Wow, think you need a drink buddy...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Apparently you have had several bottles considering your assinine response.

How about this data for your example vehicle? Think that it's anywhere near correct, and helping the site at all having this kind of garbage data on it?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/peugeot/30...pgt308F/168249
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'm sure these people who were getting around 40 MPG average in their 308 just happened to drive down hill with a hurricane force wind behind them for nearly 1000 miles to get 75 MPG just one time. It couldn't be that they forgot to log an entry and the 967 miles they say they went on 12.88 gallons was really half that, and around the same as their previous average amounts.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/peugeot/30.../Lazarus/41040
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

My initial comment was meant as tongue in cheek sarcasm, but you appear to have taken it to heart. I admit that this data is annoying, and some of it is genuine mistakes, but with so many millions of vehicles out there, you can't really cap the amount they can acheive because literally anything is possible! Im sure the users inputting this data will soon reconize thier mistakes and rectify it.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

openupyoureyes,

Thanks for reporting the pages as it brings it to the attention of our Staff so we can reach out to the Fuelly driver and ask for them to make the necessary corrections. We don't always get a response back, or like in the examples you posted in this thread, they have come and gone (last fuel up from 2010, 2012, etc). Before, unfortunately, with Old Fuelly, we had to literally jump through hoops in the Matrix to make the necessary corrections. Since the update to the site, we've been granted tools that will allow us to "fix" the erroneous data. However, we've been working on a way to 'catch' the errors before they even get posted in a way you've already hinted at.

The Fuelly Team has their hands full with smoothing out the recent transition, but I can assure you that implementing a limit to prevent bad data is very high on the To-Do list.

I'll keep an eye on progress, and either I or one of the Developers can chime in here when a fix has been set.

Thanks for your feedback!
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Wow! So let me get this straight. If I hypermile, and get gas mileage higher than "normal", someone might have a problem with it? They better not check my motor scooter mileage, where I got 136 MPG. or where I can go 138 miles on 2 gallons in my Prius. Yes it is down hill. Some drivers do live in the mountains.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Best not look at some of the best Euro diesels either because some of them are pulling close to 100 MPG now with clever driving!