Vegetable Oil Candle - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Vegetable Oil Candle

Well, I have been doing so much research on SVO, WVO, and blends, that I bought a bottle of Walmart vegtable oil. As usual it's taking forever to get this VW diesel I have been trying to buy, so I sat around experimenting. I took one of my wife's burned out candles, votive or whatever they call them and took a piece of twine and inserted it into the wick holder and put in one table spoon of SVO and lit it. It burns beautifully, no french fry smell, a little yellow hue to the flame, but it works! So now of course I want to fuel up the old miners lantern and see if that will work too.

Also just thinking, this is a natural non petroleum candle, essentially an oil lantern. The package it came out of said they are 5 hour candles, so I'm timing it, it seems to burn at the same rate, it's been an hour now and the fuel level is the same, so we'll see when it burns out.

Here is a simple example of the potential of cooking oil, you can fry things with it, put it on a salad, or run your car on it. This little experiment turned out to be so much fun. I hope this is an inspiration. I also hope that my attachment worked, took a picture of it, if the picture didn't turn out, I may need help. I sat there stairing at this thing burn, like I never saw fire before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06-May-08.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1081  
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote