Hello and correct procedure? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello and correct procedure?

Hey all

Look forward to fuell-ing

Anyway, I'm a bit confused - lets say I go and fill up, 46.7 litres. Put onto fuelly.

Now I have to put mileage, i have done no miles on this fuel as..well its new.

So does fuelly work best if I somehow remember/note down somewhere how much I put in, then I put the mileage down once its empty - does fuelly have like a "draft" mode or somewhere I can say here is the amount i have put in...now wait till its empty

another example, I did a 7 litre partial fill today, not to full just to get me where i need to go. i tick partial fill, 7 litres...and it wants to know how many miles - I have done 7 miles to where I am sat now, the tank isn't empty and if I put 7 miles in it gives me the wrong mpg for the tank - is this still ok then I go back and update when needed?

cheers

mrapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

You don't need to put an entry for your first fill with a new vehicle. I wouldn't because there is no way of knowing how much gas, if any, has been added during those miles, and the Fuelly log is to record my fuel economy with the vehicle. I would first fill the tank up to start with a topped off one, and reset the trip odometer. The second fill will be the first one I put into Fuelly with miles entered from the trip display.

I use trip for recording miles. As long as you reset it at each fill, I think it is the easier method. If you prefer the odometer, or the car simply doesn't have a trip one, you need to account for those previous owner miles. With a brand new car, I would just leave the few hundred miles tallied up moving the car on and off transports and such in the first Fuelly entry. They will skew the data for it because they weren't on that gas. They will soon be averaged out over the thousands of miles you hopefully have the car. With a used car, make a note of the odometer miles during your first fill, and subtract it from the number for each Fuelly fill.

With partial fills on Fuelly just put in the gas added and miles driven to that point. Just like a total fill. It will not generate a data point for it. So you won't see any off numbers it might generate. Once a full fill is entered, the partial fill(s) will be calculated into the car's averages (mpg, fill cost, tank distance, etc.)

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrapoc View Post
Anyway, I'm a bit confused - lets say I go and fill up, 46.7 litres. Put onto fuelly.

Now I have to put mileage, i have done no miles on this fuel as..well its new.
The amount of fuel that you've put in the tank now is the amount of fuel you already used in the last tank. You only need to know how many miles since the last fill.

Once you've filled up you're resetting your fill level to the known-full level and starting a new tank.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ok so the only real way to use fuelly is full to empty to full to empty etc.

I was confused by the partial refill I think

So the first ever fill up...I put in 50 litres...do i then wait till its empty before I fill it in, or what do I put in mileage?
mrapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'm new here (transferred when Fuelly swallowed Gassavers) but I think Fuelly automatically ignores the first tank for you. If not, I would just not log the first tank.

When you fill the tank, the miles that you previously put on are what goes in the log.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

Start with a full tank. Fuelly does not give you a vehicle average until you have 3 tanks to even things out when starting a new log.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote