adding a resistor to the o2 input wire - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

adding a resistor to the o2 input wire

I've seen many threads and post on adding a resistor to the IAT input wire, or whatever, or IAT mods, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't the o2 sensor then end all, final adjustment to the fuel. which makes sense cause why the hell is it even there.

I can't take the entire credit for this, but it sounds like it would work. I have an older one wire o2 sensor on my car so that's what I'll be talking about. but if I were to add a resistor to that wire, which size is the question, it would lower the voltage to the ecu and it would lean out the mixture.

I actually have a wbo2 sensor, so I could throw a random resistor in there and get a good idea of how lean it is and vary the resistor accordingly.

It makes way more sense then attempting to adjust the fuel maps, because when the o2 is work its uniform and steady, or consistant as hell, way better then any attempt to lean out the fuel maps so far.

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

maybe this wouldn't work. cause the o2 sends a voltage of 0-1 to the ecu. is 0 or 1 rich cause if 1 was rich it would lower its actual output and add more fuel.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
right. It wouldnt' work. goto http://www.eagle-research.com/ to buy a device that will adjust your o2 sensors output
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

ok...... what the hell is that???

ok, then is the an electical device that would increase voltage?

I'm correct about the iat mod though right? cause if the computer is reading load and rpm, then getting fuel maps from the computers memory. then that duty cycle or fuel value is modified by the iat. at this point fuel is in the motor. it would take the next cycle of the engine for the o2's input to be a variable.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
yes, the IAT sensor mod is just a resister and works because the IAT is a thermister... temperature varied resister.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
not sure which idea I like better; Lying to the o2 sensor or burning water.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

yeah, but the question is how does the o2 actually work.

the engine would have to go throw one cycle for it to even get a reading and send the input to the ecu. so, the iat would affect the a/f ratio the first time. then on the next cycle does the ecu throw the input from the o2 into the calcualation, ONLY if your still in the same rpm/load on the fuel map. if the load/rpm changes its not going to correct it again the first time.

but I'm guess that the computer saves this info and use it next time, which would very!!!!! quickly make the iat resistor mod not do anything. and for only one trip.

the only way to do this without actually adjusting the fuel maps w/ the o2 disabled is to modify the o2 input some how. if 0 voltage from the o2 is lean and .9 is rich. you would need a device that increases voltage by .1 increments.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
yes, the o2 sensor is used to adjust the whole fuel map over time, NOT for instantaneous response.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

The O2 sensor puts out a DC voltage based on the amount of O2 in the exhaust stream. The CPU monitors this in real time at ??? cycles per second. You can watch the readings change on an advanced scan tool.

If you really want to %^&$ with your air fuel ratio, get your CPU chipped so that you can adjust the maps.

Placing ohms in the O2 circuit will just screw things up. Too lean can also result in less FE and fubard engine.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

I do have a chipped ecu. I've been adjusting my fuel maps but it kinda complicated to get it really dialed in. adjusting something that's more precise would make it way more linear. adjust the maps, it really hard to get it to a a/f across the whole driving range.

I have a wbo2 and with the o2 connected the a/f is money. the stock o2 and computer do a great job of keeping the a/f really close to 14.7 . I figure take that same accuracy and slightly modify it or trick it. hell the majority of aftermarket fuel controller do the same thing tricking the computer.