Tip: Quick lug nut work without air tools - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Lightbulb Tip: Quick lug nut work without air tools

Didn't we have a Tips & Tricks thread somewhere? I can't find it now. Anyway...

I hate tediously spinning lug nuts with my fingers, having to return to the wrench when they hit a dirty spot on the threads, etc...so I don't.

I use my cordless drill, a socket that fits the lug nut, and an adapter like these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42191

All I have to do is loosen the lug nuts 1/2 turn with the lug wrench (I like to use a pipe for leverage for loosening only), then the drill zips them off quickly regardless of if the threads are difficult or easy. Installation is the reverse of removal, obviously.

The same trick works for the manually cranked stabilizer jacks on my camper, which require even more tedious cranking. The job becomes trivially quick and easy with the drill.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

I second this suggestion- I got a set of these a few years ago and they are a great time saver.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

I burned out a cordless drill after the fifth time of jacking my car with one of those. They work great, though.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Did you have a scissor jack that can be turned by a setup like that, and that's how you jacked your car with it?

I may be spoiled by my 24v drills. They've got enough torque that when the nut gets tight they can break a wrist, or if your head is nearby they could knock you out. I've had both almost happen but I was quick enough to just get a black eye. Now I don't use low gear for that stuff without setting the clutch to let go before it's too tight...

Anyway, I guess the lesson is that if too much torque is required you shouldn't do it or you might burn out your drill.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

It was the scissor jack that came with my ex's Hyundai Elantra. Had a hex on one end of the screw. This was a while ago and I can't recall what voltage the drill was. Definitely not 24! Now I have a hydraulic jack; cheaply made, but it was free.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

A pneumatic impact driver is usually under $30 at Harbor Freight. If you have an air compressor, no sense not having one. Had to get one when I bought a car on which Herakles himself must have tightened the lug nuts.

Otherwise, an el cheapo crossbar works really good...makes it easy to spin off the lug nuts.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Those choices don't work for me. I have a pneumatic impact wrench, what I lack is a compressor that can run it...and a compressor like that is no minor purchase.

I have crossbars but it's just so tedious standing there spinning a crossbar, having it catch on some crappy thread and then having to crank it, followed by spinning it some more.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

This is what I have, and I absolutely love it...

Milwaukee 2601-22 18-Volt Li-ion Compact Drill Kit ? The Milwaukee 2601-22 18V Li-ion Compact Drill Kit features a 1/2-inch ratcheting chuck with a plastic sleeve for reduced weight. The Milwaukee 2601-22 has a compact length of 7-3/4-inches to allow it to fit in tight areas. The compact motor on the 2601-22 delivers 400 inch-pounds of maximum torque. The heavy-duty 2-speed metal gear box is not only durable, but allows speeds of 0-350 rpm is low and 0-1,400 in high. Other features include a built-in LED light to illuminate work surfaces, a belt hook to free up both hands for work positioning before fastening. All of these features are packed into a lightweight, 4-pound form factor. Standard equipment includes the drill tool, (2) 18-volt Li-ion batteries (48-11-1815), 30-minute charger (48-59-1801), and carrying case (48-55-0960).

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Those choices don't work for me. I have a pneumatic impact wrench, what I lack is a compressor that can run it...and a compressor like that is no minor purchase.
IMO- you don't have to have an expensive compressor.

I have a pretty good 1/2 inch impact wrench- and a small cheap 110volt compressor with only a 5 gallon air storage tank (it is only rated at 3gph at 90psi). The only problem with my setup is that I can only do 15-20 second bursts with the impact before the compressor kicks on. Which is fine with me- 15 seconds will even get most axle nuts- especially if I preheat them with the propane torch. 10 seconds will get all the lug nuts on 1 wheel. So much of the time, a bigger compressor wouldn't do me any good.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Registered Member

I guess I could try my little compressor, with the expansion tank I've rigged for extra capacity. It takes forever to fill the two tanks but it might knock off my lug nuts and refill fast enough to put them back on when I'm ready. By then it's too much work for just doing 4 wheels if I can just use the drill.

I don't think a compressor less than $150 will do a reasonable job with an impact wrench, will it?