Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Electric and Solar powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/electric-conversion-project-forkenswiift-1605.html)

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 01:01 PM

The motor shaft is about

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
You should seriously consider aeromods to this thing to increase top speed and extend range.

Don't forget this is only going to be a neighbourhood type vehicle. Average speed will probably be 30 km/h. :p

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
Also... that motor adapter plate looks thick enough to withstand a 700 hp big-block Chevy!!! https://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...es/shocked.gif

Which is exactly my plan when I get bored with the electric thing! Just saving on future machining costs...

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 01:25 PM

:D :D Lateral thinking. Gotta love it.

It'll cause lateral driving too.

Silveredwings 11-06-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
The forklift controller has an "acceleration ramp" built in, and I believe it's also adjustable via a pot. On the plus side (?) We're running relatively low voltage from a small pack, so we're not going to be putting out prodigous amps (relative to the Tesla roadster, for example).

I don't follow that volts-to-amps relationship.

Quote:

I thought the soft coupler was pretty clever too, until I talked to a commercial EV builder last week. He suggested we were going to wear out/chew up that urethane spacer in short order, and actually said a fixed connection between the motor & input shaft would have been fine.

If there's any play at all, I would expect it to get bigger, especially if you're planning on supporting regen brakes (alternating torque in either direction - I didn't say it that time :) ).

I anticipate great things from this project. :thumbup:

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 05:50 PM

This evening: axles out, exhaust removed, shift linkage disconnected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings
I don't follow that volts-to-amps relationship.

At what point did it become apparent that I'm completely winging this? :o

Quote:

If there's any play at all, I would expect it to get bigger, especially if you're planning on supporting regen brakes (alternating torque in either direction - I didn't say it that time :) ).
No regen - just "go!" So the wear is in one direction.

Quote:

I anticipate great things from this project. :thumbup:
I anticipate breaking things! All in good fun though.

kickflipjr 11-06-2006 07:12 PM

So how much more before you get that thing on the road?

MetroMPG 11-06-2006 07:47 PM

I don't want to predi

Silveredwings 11-07-2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Theoretically, inside 2 or 3 weeks we could have the electric drivetrain in, so we could hook jumper cables between a couple of batteries and the motor, and off we go! Does that count?

I think that does count. It's the current thing to do. :thumbup:

I don't think jumper cables have enough surface area in contact with the battery cables to handle the current you'd need (even in a test). The clips will probably heat up, and may even burn them at the contact points (you might be shocked to find the battery terminals burned as well), but I may be wrong. Don't let this impede your progress, just keep an eye on it. I read about many EV builders who regularly check and tighten their battery terminal connections because of the effects the high current has on them. One of the advantages of going with higher voltage is lower current:

Volts * Amps = Watts (Watts law)

But you may not be able to change the top voltage your motor/controller can take, so don't get too wired about it.

The other potential problem is the voltage drop across the jumper clips in proportion to the current:

Ohms * Amps = Volts (Ohms law)

So you want to minimize the ohms (unit of resistance) wherever you can: thick cable, heavy duty terminal connections, high surface area connections to your controller, fuse(s), motor, kill switch (eventually), etc. Try to have as little 'etc.' as possible. :)

MetroMPG 11-07-2006 08:34 AM

As a matter of fact, we a