Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Electric and Solar powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f18/electric-conversion-project-forkenswiift-1605.html)

MetroMPG 09-07-2007 12:09 PM

OK, so directly flattening / soldering / flattening the cable end

GasSavers_BigMouse 09-07-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 71282)
OK, so directly flattening / soldering / flattening the cable end itself is the ticket. Weekend project - I'll have the FS operational again shortly (pun not intended).

Those cables look used. Where'd you get them? 20ft of 2/0 AWG welding cable is expensive :-(

GasSavers_BigMouse 09-07-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 71339)
Do you know offhand how people generally route cables from one end of the vehicle to the other? I'm assuming underneath the car, in the exhaust/transmission tunnel. I was thinking we could get some plastic conduit and run it inside that for protection from the elements.

I'm not sure what the common method is, but I was thinking of doing the conduit method as well. Seems to be a safe way to pull it off. Safer than running through the car at least. I look forward to seeing the pics of your lug-less cable ends.

MetroMPG 09-08-2007 10:01 AM

Rear flattened/soldered/flattened batt interconnects turned out well and are installed. Picked up 2 lengths of plastic 1 inch ID conduit as well. Continuing to plug away this afternoon...

trebuchet03 09-08-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 71397)
Rear flattened/soldered/flattened batt interconnects turned out well and are installed. Picked up 2 lengths of plastic 1 inch ID conduit as well. Continuing to plug away this afternoon...

Conduit is probably better than what I was going to suggest :p

Large garden hose :thumbup: It's flexible and you know it's water tight :thumbup:

MetroMPG 09-09-2007 05:32 PM

Ooooh. Garden hose is a good idea if you're using 2/0 gauge. It would be a little more saggy than the conduit, but you could work around that.

skewbe 09-09-2007 05:39 PM

Duh, I was worried about the exhaust pipe when you mentioned conduit under the car. LOL :)

Cool Cables, lets hope they don't melt :)

MetroMPG 09-09-2007 05:48 PM

I know... I kept firing up the torches at the back of the car this afternoon, and every time I did I thought, "wait! gas fumes!" :)

I don't think the cables will melt. Unless I really misunderstand what's going on, the 4/0 is WAAY overkill. The internal wiring inside the motor itself is more like 2/0 size. That's what I'm more concerned about melting...

In further "misunderstanding what's going on" news, today was the first time since the start of the project I mistakenly shorted out pack voltage. Freshly charged, too. !!!ZORCH!!! I vapourized the end of a 2/0 lug. :O

lemmiwinks 09-09-2007 09:59 PM

That soldered cable end that turns into a lug is fantastic! Really, really good. Could you post up a tutorial so we don't all have to go through the learning curve please? :)

GasSavers_BigMouse 09-10-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmiwinks (Post 71623)
(...) Could you post up a tutorial so we don't all have to go through the learning curve please? :)

I second this request!