Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Stats and Standings: Beginning July 2, 2007 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/stats-and-standings-beginning-july-2-2007-a-5472.html)

rh77 07-19-2007 02:27 PM

Stats and Standings: Beginning July 2, 2007

Hey FETC Challengers...

Here's the new spot to report weekly accomplishments or tank updates. As soon as I get off my lazy bum, Cycle 3 updates will be posted. Good luck!

Commish

diamondlarry 07-19-2007 02:43 PM

I filled up last night. I travelled 388.0 miles and used 4.78 gallons for 81.17 mpg. I'm going to Hybrid Fest 2007 and I'm leaving about 6:30 pm Friday and coming home Sunday. This highway trip will pull the numbers down a bit but I'm hoping for 75 mpg on the tank by the time I get back.

jwxr7 07-24-2007 05:07 AM

filled this morning. 606.3 miles on 8.713 gallons = 69.59 mpg. I fell below 70 :( , I blame the 200 miles of highway driving I don't normally do that was on this tank :) (55-60 mph min with no EOC ops + some wot to 60 mph merging with semis). Yeah, excuses excuses.

s2man 07-25-2007 12:22 PM

Commish, does this mean we don't need to report to our team captians anymore, just post it here? Here's my latest:

Porthos, Team OPEC Busters. 07/23/2007, 445.116m on 13.11g for 33.93 US mpg.

Not as good as last week, but still better than my pre-mod PB. Mods this tank: 40psi in tires, partial grill block, shaved passenger mirror.

rh77 07-25-2007 03:23 PM

Updates

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2man (Post 65374)
Commish, does this mean we don't need to report to our team captians anymore, just post it here?

That's right -- with several teams, updates are based on actual GasLog data (easier and more accurate). Which reminds me, current stats/standings should be updated in the next day or so...

Keep up those great tanks...

Commish

brucepick 07-26-2007 12:35 PM

Commish,

Since you're getting the data from the Gaslogs, I have to ask -
Per each car, are all miles equally weighted? That is, are you totalling up all the miles and all the gallons then dividing? That method weights all miles and gallons equally for that car.

Or the alternative would be to grab the mpg values directly off the gaslogs, and average them. That method weights each tank equally - so a short tank of only 4-6 gallons and maybe 100-200 miles would have as much "weight" (significance) as a long tank of 10-20 gallons and many more miles for that same car. If the short tank was unusually high or low mpg for whatever reason, then the short tank skews the results.

I had to ask....

rh77 07-26-2007 04:57 PM

Cumulative vs. Tank Averages

Oddly, no -- it doesn't. The tanks are averaged regardless of cumulative distance/consumption.

Manual calcs of the baseline use the same technique.

As I think about it, this is an excellent point. With the data extraction that I receive, it would be simple enough to implement the cumulative procedure.

If everyone is cool with the new plan, it will take another week to get an approximate stats/standings published.

Standby for a poll...

Commish

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 65595)
Commish,

Since you're getting the data from the Gaslogs, I have to ask -
Per each car, are all miles equally weighted? That is, are you totalling up all the miles and all the gallons then dividing? That method weights all miles and gallons equally for that car.

Or the alternative would be to grab the mpg values directly off the gaslogs, and average them. That method weights each tank equally - so a short tank of only 4-6 gallons and maybe 100-200 miles would have as much "weight" (significance) as a long tank of 10-20 gallons and many more miles for that same car. If the short tank was unusually high or low mpg for whatever reason, then the short tank skews the results.

I had to ask....

Jim Dunlop 07-28-2007 05:37 AM

I agree. The only way to do it and be objective is to do it per total miles...otherwise some joker with really good MPG could fill up 3 gallons at a time to increase his/her team's stats.

I myself am considering 1) "calilbrating" the lower end of my gas gauge (i.e. when needle was at 1/8 it took 9 gallons to fill), then 2) making a drop down in fill up volume by waiting until the needle hits 1/8 and only put in 4-5 gallons of gas (the same amt every time). This will lower my vehicle's average weight by 20 lbs. or so and potentially increase FE.

LxMike 07-29-2007 08:47 AM

Sg ws showing 37.x and when i refueled i made sure top click it at least 2 times to stay consistent and recorded 318 mile- 7.70 gallons of gas. 41.28.

CO: what do i ned to get a cd??

CO ZX2 07-29-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LxMike (Post 65974)
Sg ws showing 37.x and when i refueled i made sure top click it at least 2 times to stay consistent and recorded 318 mile- 7.70 gallons of gas. 41.28.

CO: what do i ned to get a cd??

You just did it. Congrats. PM me.:thumbup:

rh77 08-05-2007 07:56 PM

Mid-Cycle Results: Up to 7/30

4 Attachment(s)
Hey competitors...

Cycle 3 is almost over -- so here's the "mid-cycle" report :o

Sooo...

Sorry about the delay in the report. With the new cumulative percentage, the 90-day averages had to be manually calc'd and that takes some time.

Without delay, here we are, as of July 30th:

1. Team OPEC Busters: 6.4%
2. The Right Lane Rollers: 5.5%
3. Team "Leftover Bananas" 4.0%
4. The GasMisers5: 3.9%
5. Team Slow Burn: 2.4%
6. Team Feast & Famine: -3.2%

The spreadsheets are attached...

For the Cycle, this is the last week folks. TCs: ensure your team has 5 members, all of which have a 3 gallon fill reported by this Sunday Aug 12 at Midnight Central Time.

The new calculation method takes the total miles per total gallons.

Best FE!

Commish

OdieTurbo 08-06-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 67039)
Without delay, here we are, as of July 30th:

1. Team OPEC Busters: 6.4%
2. The Right Lane Rollers: 5.5%
3. Team "Leftover Bananas" 4.0%
4. The GasMisers5: 3.9%
5. Team Slow Burn: 2.4%
6. Team Feast & Famine: -3.2%

Bananas are 3rd! Go Bananas! Must get in 2nd place!

landspeed 08-06-2007 09:01 AM

Go GasMisers5!!!!!!!!

bbgobie 08-07-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 67039)
Hey competitors...

Cycle 3 is almost over -- so here's the "mid-cycle" report :o

Sooo...

Sorry about the delay in the report. With the new cumulative percentage, the 90-day averages had to be manually calc'd and that takes some time.

Commish

Let me know if you need help with writing a script to "automatically" calculate the information. It seems like you shouldn't have a problem as everything needed is stored in your gaslog DB.

brucepick 08-07-2007 06:03 AM

New shortie Kamm back!

Been getting between 31-32.4 mpg steadily for about a week now. I have a couple new tires coming in, should be going on the car Thurs or Fri a.m. They will allow another 4-5 psi so that should be a good thing.

This a.m. when I got close to work I realized that the spare piece of coroplast in my car would probably be perfect for a short version of jwxr7's Kamm back (see https://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/272 ).

So I built it. Sorry, no pics yet. It's short, only 6" from the roof's rear edge but hey, better than nothing. Maybe it will help pull Team Leftover Bananas up into second place!

It took an hour + ten mintes, including time to duck into Home Depot to buy a coroplast sign to get a bit more material. I always have duct tape in the car nowadays! There's a Home Depot and two thrifty gas stations right outside my work entrance, very convenient.

Go Bananas!
Ya gotta watch out for us, we're a slippery bunch!

s2man 08-07-2007 06:47 AM

Hey OPEC Busters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 67224)
Go Bananas!
Ya gotta watch out for us, we're a slippery bunch!

OPEC Busters, I think this guy is talkin' some smack on this competition. And I ain't gonna take it sittin' down. This weekend I'm puttin' in the new ignition system and wheel bearing, for sure. And the LRR tires will be right behind that.

Bust 'em up, OPEC Busters!

GasSavers_DaX 08-07-2007 10:55 AM

Let's go Slow Burn! Way to go on the best % jump so far James. We are missing Driver #4? ...so we get a zero calculated into our average?

brucepick 08-07-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2man (Post 67232)
OPEC Busters, I think this guy is talkin' some smack on this competition. And I ain't gonna take it sittin' down. This weekend I'm puttin' in the new ignition system and wheel bearing, for sure. And the LRR tires will be right behind that.

Bust 'em up, OPEC Busters!

Ya best be quick with that work. Per the Commish's post #11 above, this round ends "Sunday Aug 12 at Midnight Central Time."

Anyway, nothing improper was intended when I said we're a slippery bunch. I just can't resist a pun, ya know? I hope we'll just s - l - i - d - e into the 2nd place slot.

bbgobie 08-07-2007 11:36 AM

Dang... Dragging down the bannana's. Gonna have to drive around in circles for no reason! Just like burning off the extra turkey you know you shouldn't have eaten after thanksgiving!

jwxr7 08-08-2007 03:53 AM

new fill this morning, 528.45 miles on 7.410 gal = 71.316 mpg.

Bill in Houston 08-08-2007 04:55 AM

Two tanks in a row over 28 mpg! Okay, for most of you that's nothing, but for me, it's a first...
https://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/365
Maybe not worth a CD of cowboy songs, but I'm happy. :-)

CO ZX2 08-08-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 67353)
Two tanks in a row over 28 mpg! Okay, for most of you that's nothing, but for me, it's a first...
https://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/365
Maybe not worth a CD of cowboy songs, but I'm happy. :-)

Bill, that is good. I've wanted to ask if you are using your air dam now?

Sounds like maybe you are driving quite differently now?

PM address. All members, especially from Texas, need Cowboy Songs.

Bill in Houston 08-08-2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 67363)
Bill, that is good. I've wanted to ask if you are using your air dam now?

Sounds like maybe you are driving quite differently now?

PM address. All members, especially from Texas, need Cowboy Songs.

Thanks! I am not using the air dam right now. With the belly pan on, it seemed that maybe the air dam would be doing more harm than good. I have an interstate trip coming up that will be a good test of my aero properties, and I will make a judgement on the dam after that. That test will be 70 mph, A/C blasting. No technique allowed when the family is on board. If I end up putting the air dam back on, I hope to motivate myself to A-B test it with the belly pan in place.

With my family having been out of town, I am able to coast a little longer/slower, P&G a little more, time lights a little better, etc. So, I think part of the gain is attributable to technique improvements.

I'll PM my address. I'm looking forward to the CD. Thanks!

s2man 08-08-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 67265)
Ya best be quick with that work. Per the Commish's post #11 above, this round ends "Sunday Aug 12 at Midnight Central Time."

Aggh! So soon? It seems like this cycle just started...

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 67265)
Anyway, nothing improper was intended when I said we're a slippery bunch. I just can't resist a pun, ya know? I hope we'll just s - l - i - d - e into the 2nd place slot.

Nothing improper taken, Bruce. I was just trying to stir the teams up ;-) Good luck with your mods.

LxMike 08-08-2007 02:32 PM

arggg! battery died on me last week. Then brake light was staying on and had to disconenct battery at work till i could get home and found it was a lil rubber piece that is on the brake pedal. now my scangague is all messed up so i'm not sure how good i am doing. currently at 110 mile with needle just under 3/4 tank left. going on a trip to the drag strip friday if weather cooperates.

s2man 08-09-2007 05:35 PM

New PB

I've just entered a new Personal Best in the garage. 473 miles on 12.6 gallons for 37.47 mpg. Mods on this tank were XcelPlus Lubrilon engine treatment, and lower oil level in engine.

Oh yeah, Go Team OPEC Busters!

rh77 08-09-2007 05:50 PM

Congrats

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2man (Post 67535)
I've just entered a new Personal Best in the garage. 473 miles on 12.6 gallons for 37.47 mpg. Mods on this tank were XcelPlus Lubrilon engine treatment, and lower oil level in engine.

Oh yeah, Go Team OPEC Busters!

Good work, Man -- hail Porthos!

How is it going with the heat? Today, something melted on the hatch latch and it's busted :( . I mean, it's not any hotter here than many parts of the Country, but lately it's been noticeable...

-Rick

bbgobie 08-10-2007 11:47 AM

Stupid question. But 12 Midnight means Sunday night right?

Might have to make a trip to Hamilton Sunday morning to go check out a used road bike, which means 1hr hwy each way. Last ditch bannana tactic!

landspeed 08-10-2007 03:30 PM

Latest tank - 567.5 miles 10.346 gallons 54.84 MPG(US)! (for 149% over EPA). This is my best ever tank, and the last 3 tanks have each been my best ever tank :D

Go GasMisers 5!!

brucepick 08-10-2007 05:29 PM

Arrrghghghgh! Several short trips needed to repair broken side glass on wagon - slid on wet road. The rainy days also took their toll, tank was 29.04 mpg. Last tank for this FE Challenge for me; wife and I are off for the weekend in a rental car with a/c; ours have no a/c.

I still say - Go Leftover Bananas!!!

rh77 08-10-2007 08:50 PM

Competition

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgobie (Post 67600)
Stupid question. But 12 Midnight means Sunday night right?

Might have to make a trip to Hamilton Sunday morning to go check out a used road bike, which means 1hr hwy each way. Last ditch bannana tactic!

Actually a common question :thumbup: -- 12-Midnight Central time, Sunday night / Monday Morning. Not that I'll be up then to verify all the timestamps -- I'll be somewhere in Iowa for work. :o

Basically "Honor System" kinda stuff for the time...

It'll be a long work/travel week, so it may take a bit of time to crunch the stats.

Just remember, the next Cycle immediately begins Monday. :)

Best of FE to all teams! :thumbup:

Commish

LxMike 08-12-2007 03:28 PM

wondering how many will wait till last minute to post there tanks.

diamondlarry 08-12-2007 03:44 PM

I haven't had a fill since July 22 and I keep forgetting to report anything.:o My Prius is reading 84.6 mpg after 837.2 miles. The last two fills I had, the FCD was reading less than .1 over calculated.

usedgeo 08-12-2007 08:04 PM

I filled yesterday. 69.5 mpg. It is in the log. I have decided to resume using my Saturn for those short errand trips in traffic. They really take the mileage down. I just can't avoid using the brakes in heavy traffic. I expect to drop quite a bit, maybe about 10 mpg. I am in to this next tank about 90 miles at 54 mpg. I hope to pull that up a bit when I get back into my routine.

rh77 08-14-2007 09:08 PM

Redirect to Latest Discussion...

Redirect for August 13th forward...