Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Adding A/C to a non A/C VX?! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/adding-a-c-to-a-non-a-c-vx-6461.html)

smccall 10-22-2007 05:38 PM

Adding A/C to a non A/C VX?!

What would it take and would it be worth it to add A/C to a non A/C Civic VX? I live in Georgia and it gets hot down here.

garyhgaryh 10-22-2007 05:47 PM

I have a non-working AC on my VX which I'm trying to get working again.
The prev owner said the compressor sparks. I'm looking for a compressor - anyone have one here for sale?
Gary

smccall 10-22-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyhgaryh (Post 77923)
I have a non-working AC on my VX which I'm trying to get working again.
The prev owner said the compressor sparks. I'm looking for a compressor - anyone have one here for sale?
Gary

You have A/C already in from the factory, but I'm wondering if its possible for a non A/C civic VX.

GasSavers_TomO 10-22-2007 07:13 PM

Yes, it is possible. If you go all new parts from Honda, it'd be about $800 for all the wiring harnesses, compressor, evaporator, condensor, fan, button, etc.

smccall 10-22-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 77940)
Yes, it is possible. If you go all new parts from Honda, it'd be about $800 for all the wiring harnesses, compressor, evaporator, condensor, fan, button, etc.

Since you are the King of VXs, would you happen to have a write up on doing this? What parts could I get from a junkyard and which ones would be better to get new?

jadziasman 10-23-2007 01:16 PM

If the VX has never had A/C, it will take a lot of work installing all the A/C lines, condenser, compressor and evaporator. My current 92 VX had A/C but the compressor was taken out well before I bought it in 2005 (probably because it didn't work any more). I bought a used compressor and installed it myself. It was still difficult because all the o-rings needed to be replaced for the conversion from R-12 to R-134a and I needed to buy tools I didn't have - a vacuum pump for $100 and manifold gauge for $30. You can do it if you have the time and $$$$ but be sure to inspect the liquid lines (they're the thin aluminum pipes) carefully for leaks before charging with R-134a. I had a liquid line that had a tiny pin hole in it from corrosion that I didn't spot because it was underneath the insulation that covers the line. I needed to replace it after I had already worked on the A/C in April 2006. The repair was done later in August 2006 and that was really difficult to do in the 90+ heat.

If you can, get an A/C system out of a 94 or 95 civic. The condensor and compressor are not interchangeable for the R-12 (92 & 93 Civic) and R-134a (94 & 95 Civic) systems BTW.

Gary Palmer 10-23-2007 03:23 PM

You can do it. I would suggest you hook up with someone who is maybe already removing one, because of weight.

What I did was to go the pick a part yard, when they had a 50% off sale. Then I found a Honda of the years I was looking for and pulled all of my parts off of that car. When you install it, I would recommend putting in new o-rings and new oil, for R134. You can use R134 in an R12 system, but you would be better served if you got the parts off of a car that has R134 on it.

When you find a car, check to see if the system still has a little gas. If it does, then you should be good to pull them off and put them in your car. When your done, you will need something to either pull a vacume on the system, or take it to a shop to have done.

The 87 Honda I added A/C to works great. The 89 is still waiting for me to get to putting it in.

smccall 10-23-2007 07:15 PM

ok, its great to know it can be done. Thanks for the input.

78si 10-23-2007 09:12 PM

I did my 92 civic SI.. Honda makes it plug and play. Make sure you have all the parts!

garyhgaryh 10-23-2007 09:21 PM

I bought a vacuum pump at Harbor Freight to evac the system. I wonder how it works....

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3952