Adding A/C to a non A/C VX?! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Adding A/C to a non A/C VX?!

What would it take and would it be worth it to add A/C to a non A/C Civic VX? I live in Georgia and it gets hot down here.

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have a non-working AC on my VX which I'm trying to get working again.
The prev owner said the compressor sparks. I'm looking for a compressor - anyone have one here for sale?
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I have a non-working AC on my VX which I'm trying to get working again.
The prev owner said the compressor sparks. I'm looking for a compressor - anyone have one here for sale?
Gary
You have A/C already in from the factory, but I'm wondering if its possible for a non A/C civic VX.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Yes, it is possible. If you go all new parts from Honda, it'd be about $800 for all the wiring harnesses, compressor, evaporator, condensor, fan, button, etc.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Yes, it is possible. If you go all new parts from Honda, it'd be about $800 for all the wiring harnesses, compressor, evaporator, condensor, fan, button, etc.
Since you are the King of VXs, would you happen to have a write up on doing this? What parts could I get from a junkyard and which ones would be better to get new?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

If the VX has never had A/C, it will take a lot of work installing all the A/C lines, condenser, compressor and evaporator. My current 92 VX had A/C but the compressor was taken out well before I bought it in 2005 (probably because it didn't work any more). I bought a used compressor and installed it myself. It was still difficult because all the o-rings needed to be replaced for the conversion from R-12 to R-134a and I needed to buy tools I didn't have - a vacuum pump for $100 and manifold gauge for $30. You can do it if you have the time and $$$$ but be sure to inspect the liquid lines (they're the thin aluminum pipes) carefully for leaks before charging with R-134a. I had a liquid line that had a tiny pin hole in it from corrosion that I didn't spot because it was underneath the insulation that covers the line. I needed to replace it after I had already worked on the A/C in April 2006. The repair was done later in August 2006 and that was really difficult to do in the 90+ heat.

If you can, get an A/C system out of a 94 or 95 civic. The condensor and compressor are not interchangeable for the R-12 (92 & 93 Civic) and R-134a (94 & 95 Civic) systems BTW.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

You can do it. I would suggest you hook up with someone who is maybe already removing one, because of weight.

What I did was to go the pick a part yard, when they had a 50% off sale. Then I found a Honda of the years I was looking for and pulled all of my parts off of that car. When you install it, I would recommend putting in new o-rings and new oil, for R134. You can use R134 in an R12 system, but you would be better served if you got the parts off of a car that has R134 on it.

When you find a car, check to see if the system still has a little gas. If it does, then you should be good to pull them off and put them in your car. When your done, you will need something to either pull a vacume on the system, or take it to a shop to have done.

The 87 Honda I added A/C to works great. The 89 is still waiting for me to get to putting it in.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok, its great to know it can be done. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #9

I did my 92 civic SI.. Honda makes it plug and play. Make sure you have all the parts!
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

I bought a vacuum pump at Harbor Freight to evac the system. I wonder how it works....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3952

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote