Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Injector kill switch for Autos (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/injector-kill-switch-for-autos-6856.html)

cwa 11-23-2007 06:05 PM

Injector kill switch for Autos

Dear All,

Has anyone tried Injector Kill switch for Automatics? How it works after EOC. Can someone shares the experience?

I know it is well suited to Manuals where bump start will start after EOC. WIth Autos, we may have to start the engine. Also EOC is not recommeded for mast of Automatics.

I thought that Injector Kill can not only be used in EOC, but also to avoid Traffic light Idleing as well.
:rolleyes:

CWA

kamesama980 12-30-2007 06:52 PM

same as EOC in autos...the engine'll stop, the trans will stop pumping and die. the other problem with that idea is that there already is one...it's called the ignition switch.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 02-25-2008 10:15 AM

It can sort of work at engine speeds above around 2000rpm, because the tranny will still be driving the engine, below that it won't. So if you can rig it in a set/reset kind of fashion where it kicks the fuel back on if the engine revs drop too far, then it might work. It works like that in some manufacturers ECU programming. I've heard that some Saturn autos have rear pumps meaning that they might be able to cope with lower rev holds and still pick up again.

petty 07-30-2008 06:41 PM

I would like to install a switch to prevent my car from starting. I have done it in the past through the wiring of the starter. But just can't have any other options. Any idea?

theholycow 07-31-2008 05:08 AM

There's lots of ways to install a switch to prevent the car from starting. You could find an existing anti-theft wire coming from the steering shaft and interrupt it with a switch. You could interrupt the fuel pump fuse or relay. Or, as you've done before, you could find the starter wiring...

GasSavers_mikemoss 01-12-2009 05:43 PM

From my understanding if the motor stops spinning the transmission fluid pump the transmission will fry.

Dr. Jerryrigger 10-08-2009 09:08 AM

Some newer auto cars have this built in to their computers. When you are slowing they stop feeding it gas and let the wheels turn the engine until it is in danger of staling. I think my 99 subaru (auto) dose this. I only know this because I attached some wires to my O2 sensor so I can see the readout on the Fluk DMM in my cup holder. The signal jump way out of normal range when I'm coasting to a stop (in gear) or down shift to slow down.

I want to set up a switch to do this as well. I can predict when it should go on better than my computer.
The thing that makes this complicated is that the computer will think something is serously rong when you flip the switch. The way around this that I see is to make a voltage supply for all your sensors that will tell your computer that everything is working as normal. This supply would need to be hooked up to the same dash switch.

This seems like a good idea, as you get better mileage using no fuel then idling in N. (though you don't role as far w/engine braking effect)

GasSavers_BEEF 10-08-2009 09:17 AM

are you talking about DFCO deceleration fuel cut off?

all newer cars do this and I think it goes way back as to when it is done. If I had to guess, I would say that your car already does it.

on my wife's car, it shows about a 1 second lag time from when she takes her foot off of the gas to when she goes into DFCO. I don't think you can do better than this though if you could, I don't think it would be worth the effort

Dr. Jerryrigger 10-08-2009 09:46 AM

well there is one way to find out....
Maybe there are other ways..
I've got to go get some cat food. About a 5 min drive (each way) with lots of lights. I'm going to see when my car dose this based on O2 readouts, and with a stop watch see how much more time it could be off if I were controlling it. This would be a safer test with an assistant... oh well...
this will not be the most accurate test, and will very greatly from car to car, but it may give some idea if this is a complete waist of time...
I'll report back in 20 min or so.

GasSavers_BEEF 10-08-2009 09:59 AM

remember also that DFCO cuts off around 1000rpms or so. the engine goes into normal condition around that time.

how are you monitoring your 02 sensor?