Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Anyone here have a Integra GSR? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/anyone-here-have-a-integra-gsr-8264.html)

Three6Eight 05-05-2008 12:34 PM

Anyone here have a Integra GSR?

I'm thinking of getting a GSR to replace my Metro.

They seem like fun cars with that 8000 RPM redline.

When your not redlining it what kind of FE does it get? Can it pull off 30s on the freeway? Any input would be nice.

civic lover 05-05-2008 01:18 PM

30's is easily achievable in a GSR

civic94 05-05-2008 01:51 PM

I would stay away from it if your trying to get good FE. first things first, it uses premium, bigger displacement than a civic, insurance will be higher, and thieves want that car.

I had a friend in high school who had a VX, swapped it to a B16 si motor. he went from 50 mpg freeway to 25, + using premium, and living far from school. so right after the swap he didnt really hang out anymore, and never hit VTEC, while being super paranoid about someone trying to steal his swap.

so it was basically a 3,000 dollar swap (after labor) that was totally useless in every single way..

but to answer your question, yes a gsr can get 30 mpg with some good driving techniques, but a civic coupe would get even better, while the interior and trunk is bigger also.

the GSR is a fun car, its fast, but not that fast compared to other cars on the road.

mrmad 05-05-2008 03:36 PM

I have a 95 GSR and when I used to commute with it, which was probably 80% fwy at 80mph and the other 20% city driving I was averaging about 29mpg. Now that I'm commuting with my CRX, the Integra is mainly driven in the city with short trips where it barely warms up and has dropped to about 25.

Three6Eight 05-05-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 98133)
I would stay away from it if your trying to get good FE. first things first, it uses premium, bigger displacement than a civic, insurance will be higher, and thieves want that car.

I had a friend in high school who had a VX, swapped it to a B16 si motor. he went from 50 mpg freeway to 25, + using premium, and living far from school. so right after the swap he didnt really hang out anymore, and never hit VTEC, while being super paranoid about someone trying to steal his swap.

so it was basically a 3,000 dollar swap (after labor) that was totally useless in every single way..

but to answer your question, yes a gsr can get 30 mpg with some good driving techniques, but a civic coupe would get even better, while the interior and trunk is bigger also.

the GSR is a fun car, its fast, but not that fast compared to other cars on the road.

My Regal will eat up a GSR but as I've gotten older I do appreciate the technology of the GSR.

I use to be anti Import but I grew out of it. I think the 8000 RPM looks like a lot of fun and I'm going to test drive one on my day off to see If I really do like it.

Not a fan of Civics, I really like how Integras look. I know its not going to be the most fuel efficient car but if it can pull off 30 MPG if I baby it then thats good enough for me. I just want something a little more fun to drive then my Metro as a daily driver. The high theft rate of Integras does worry me a little though.

Hey MrMad you should make a Garage for your GSR.

GasSavers_Dust 05-06-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three6Eight (Post 98184)
My Regal will eat up a GSR but as I've gotten older I do appreciate the technology of the GSR.

I use to be anti Import but I grew out of it. I think the 8000 RPM looks like a lot of fun and I'm going to test drive one on my day off to see If I really do like it.

Not a fan of Civics, I really like how Integras look. I know its not going to be the most fuel efficient car but if it can pull off 30 MPG if I baby it then thats good enough for me. I just want something a little more fun to drive then my Metro as a daily driver. The high theft rate of Integras does worry me a little though.

Hey MrMad you should make a Garage for your GSR.

I think if I had to choose between the GSR and the Regal in your signature, I would go for the Regal GS. With all the weight, luxury, extra 2 cylinders and a SC still manage to get out 30 mpg on the highway.

StorminMatt 05-06-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic94 (Post 98133)

If this guy is not getting AT LEAST 30MPG on the freeway with an OBDI B16A swap in a lightweight Civic, then something is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wrong with his setup. After all, with my ITR CRX (which is 1.8 liter), I get around 32-34MPG on the freeway. And that's blasting down the road at 80MPH.

suspendedhatch 05-06-2008 08:44 PM

I agree. You should be able to approach 35mpg with a B16. But most ricers add a fpr and bigger injectors thinking it's going to give them more power on their relatively mild builds. Or they get some ebay chip.

Security is a big concern with a Civic or Integra. Check out the security site I made so that you never become a victim. https://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/

I have a 92 Integra LS. I love the car for it's trunk space especially. And cuz it's a twin cam. It's a good second car when you have a Civic hatchback. Unfortunately it has over 230k miles so it's leaking oil from the usual places. And the clutch is completely blown. It's very hard to drive. It's a swap candidate that's for sure. The interior is in great condition. It's never been in a wreck but it's seen it's share of combat. I can't wait to get some money together for it. I have to finish my Civic first though. But my dream for the Integra is a 94 GSR motor and a B16 cable tranny. Nothing too crazy.

GSRs are so much fun. I personally love the 93 GSR, but good luck finding one in any kind of decent condition. The 94+ are great but seemed to get docile when you get around 98+ with four doors. I don't know what happened but it just seems like someone sucked the life out of them. So if you want a 98+ go for a type R, but be prepared to pay $12k+.

There are some of us here who want a balance between performance and mileage.

Three6Eight 05-06-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 98232)
I think if I had to choose between the GSR and the Regal in your signature, I would go for the Regal GS. With all the weight, luxury, extra 2 cylinders and a SC still manage to get out 30 mpg on the highway.

The Regal isnt going anywhere, I love it and even if I hated it its an American car so its worth at most $2000 probably :(

It pulls off 30 MPG on the freeway but around town its more like 15 mpg so its mainly my dragstrip/Road Trip Car

I sure hope the GSR can pull off more then 15 mpg around town

Three6Eight 05-06-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspendedhatch (Post 98418)
I agree. You should be able to approach 35mpg with a B16. But most ricers add a fpr and bigger injectors thinking it's going to give them more power on their relatively mild builds. Or they get some ebay chip.

Security is a big concern with a Civic or Integra. Check out the security site I made so that you never become a victim. https://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/

I have a 92 Integra LS. I love the car for it's trunk space especially. And cuz it's a twin cam. It's a good second car when you have a Civic hatchback. Unfortunately it has over 230k miles so it's leaking oil from the usual places. And the clutch is completely blown. It's very hard to drive. It's a swap candidate that's for sure. The interior is in great condition. It's never been in a wreck but it's seen it's share of combat. I can't wait to get some money together for it. I have to finish my Civic first though. But my dream for the Integra is a 94 GSR motor and a B16 cable tranny. Nothing too crazy.

GSRs are so much fun. I personally love the 93 GSR, but good luck finding one in any kind of decent condition. The 94+ are great but seemed to get docile when you get around 98+ with four doors. I don't know what happened but it just seems like someone sucked the life out of them. So if you want a 98+ go for a type R, but be prepared to pay $12k+.

There are some of us here who want a balance between performance and mileage.

Type Rs are neat but they range between $14,000 and $20,000 in my area
for that kind of money I would get a C5 Corvette for $15,000-$22,000.

I'm looking to spend less then $7000 . I was thinking about getting a SVT Contour but I dont want another 4 door so I'm looking for a 2 door GSR

StorminMatt 05-07-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three6Eight (Post 98433)
I'm looking to spend less then $7000 . I was thinking about getting a SVT Contour but I dont want another 4 door so I'm looking for a 2 door GSR

Or, buy a lower trim Integra and do a swap. Not only would this likely be cheaper. But it would have the additional benefit of being lighter than a GSR. This would improve both mileage AND performance. It would also make the car less attractive to thieves. Of course, it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a GSR. But let's face it. Most of that stuff is really pretty worthless anyway.

Another possibility is a Type-R swap. Type-R changeovers only cost about $1000 more than GSR changeovers from most engine importers. So the way I see it, if you have to pay average market price for a GSR swap, go Type-R instead. On the other hand, you are MUCH more likely to find a GSR motor sold for significantly less than market price than a Type-R. I myself picked up a GSR longblock once for $1000. If you can get a GSR motor THIS cheap, then a build would most definitely be worthwhile.

suspendedhatch 05-07-2008 09:10 AM

Your comment of Type R vs a C5 made me laugh. But I wont be rude or appear to be a ricer... so I will hold my tongue.

*cough (Type R's spank the C5 (one of the worst sports cars ever))** cough cough

;)

Oh how I miss the Real Time Integras and NSX's on the Speed Channel.

mrmad 05-07-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three6Eight (Post 98432)
I sure hope the GSR can pull off more then 15 mpg around town

Considering when I drive my GSR I'm usually beating on it to make up for driving a CRX HF most of the time, and now the GSR is mainly driven in the city and I'm getting around 25mpg with it, you shouldn't have any problems getting better mileage then your Regal with one.

Three6Eight 05-07-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspendedhatch (Post 98503)
Your comment of Type R vs a C5 made me laugh. But I wont be rude or appear to be a ricer... so I will hold my tongue.

*cough (Type R's spank the C5 (one of the worst sports cars ever))** cough cough

;)

Oh how I miss the Real Time Integras and NSX's on the Speed Channel.

I didn't know 15 seconds in the quarter is faster then 13 in the quarter :p

You must be talking about the track huh? :p

I actually enjoy straight line acceleration more then the twisties. Twisties are fun and thats why Im considering a GSR right now. My friend has a Miata and we went autocrossing in it and it was fun. Wouldnt get a Miata though and I heard GSR's are good handlers for what they are. Like I said earlier I want a car thats fun and does pretty good on gas.

Anyway if you dont like the C5 great but Its my dream car and If I had 15-20G no doubt I would buy one over a type R. I dont care how much of a wet dream a type R is to the ricers Its not worth 15-20g's to me like a C5 isnt worth it to you :)

Three6Eight 05-07-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorminMatt (Post 98445)
Or, buy a lower trim Integra and do a swap. Not only would this likely be cheaper. But it would have the additional benefit of being lighter than a GSR. This would improve both mileage AND performance. It would also make the car less attractive to thieves. Of course, it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a GSR. But let's face it. Most of that stuff is really pretty worthless anyway.

Another possibility is a Type-R swap. Type-R changeovers only cost about $1000 more than GSR changeovers from most engine importers. So the way I see it, if you have to pay average market price for a GSR swap, go Type-R instead. On the other hand, you are MUCH more likely to find a GSR motor sold for significantly less than market price than a Type-R. I myself picked up a GSR longblock once for $1000. If you can get a GSR motor THIS cheap, then a build would most definitely be worthwhile.

One day I'll have the time for that but I work 60 hours a week.

Just installing an intercooler in my Regal has Taken 2 months chipping away at it when I happen to have a day off, so a Engine swap would probably take me 5 years and gas in the entire world will probably be used up by then :p

thehatchninja 05-07-2008 03:52 PM

I had a GSR swapped CX hatch, and could get 37mpg freeway. No matter how I drove it , revving the **** out of it, racing etc, I would average 28-32.

B16 swaps could get similar mileage, but the 5th gear puts you at a higher rpm on the freeway. Also there are soooooo many poorly running swapped civics it's unfair to judge mileage based on one of them.

Integras are nice, the car will get 30+ if you keep your foot out of it. That same engine in a civic will obviously get better mileage tho, and haul ***.

thehatchninja 05-07-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three6Eight (Post 98525)
I didn't know 15 seconds in the quarter is faster then 13 in the quarter :p

ITR's are in the 14's....still not worth comparing to a vette tho.

Three6Eight 05-07-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehatchninja (Post 98591)
ITR's are in the 14's....still not worth comparing to a vette tho.

Yeah your right a Vette in the 16G range VS a ITR in the 16G range is no comparison. The Vette is a icon ;)

Thats why Im thinking GSR I just want to spend 7Gs or less. If I wanted to spend 16G why think of a ITR :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehatchninja (Post 98591)
I had a GSR swapped CX hatch, and could get 37mpg freeway. No matter how I drove it , revving the **** out of it, racing etc, I would average 28-32..

Thats what I wanted to hear. A car you can have some fun with and still get good economy =) Excellent

GasSavers_Dust 05-07-2008 10:52 PM

If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.

Three6Eight 05-07-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 98647)
If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.

Is it ok to have bad sex if you have great instantaneous sex readily available? :p

fowljesse 05-08-2008 12:02 AM

Here's a biased opinion;
I have a Mazda MX-3 with a swapped 2.5 liter V6 that will out perform an Integra GSR in every way. It cost ALOT less than a GSR, with swap, and suspension, etc.. and no one knows what it is, so I don't have to worry about theft. I'm averaging about 27 MPG, because I drive fast, but it gets 33 MPG on a the freeway. I was just playing with a Teggy GSR 2 days ago, because he was giving me a hard look. He didn't look like he knew what left him behind.
If you're interested, check out mx-3.com.

Three6Eight 05-08-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowljesse (Post 98655)
Here's a biased opinion;
I have a Mazda MX-3 with a swapped 2.5 liter V6 that will out perform an Integra GSR in every way. It cost ALOT less than a GSR, with swap, and suspension, etc.. and no one knows what it is, so I don't have to worry about theft. I'm averaging about 27 MPG, because I drive fast, but it gets 33 MPG on a the freeway. I was just playing with a Teggy GSR 2 days ago, because he was giving me a hard look. He didn't look like he knew what left him behind.

I just did somereading on a MX3

Very interesting that the V6 in it is only a 1.8. I was interested in a SVT Contour because of its 2.5 V6. I'm a fan of engines that are unique. Like I said though I dont want another 4 door car since I already have one.

I'll definately do some more research on the MX3.

thisisntjared 05-08-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

oh yea your right. those other motors are direct bolt on operations without any cutting or welding of new mounts and finding custom axles....

it seems like a lot of people on here dont know or havent driven the performance types of hondas. you are either overweight or have not driven one of the performance vtec equiped cars by yourself on a track.

i am not going to touch the c5 vs itr topic, that is strictly a matter of opinion and since i havent driven a manual c5 i shouldnt comment.

regarding the regal, thats a matter of opinion if your comparing it to a gsr. i really doubt a gsr and a regal even compare stock for stock. but it seems like you already have your straightline performer, so if you want to get into something that handles and gets ok mpg a gsr might be a good option if you are not in an area with potential theft problems and you dont go to malls.

personally, i think you should make your regal handle better if thats what you are looking for and hold onto your metro and make it return better fuel savings for the daily commute.

as far as the mx3 is concerned, i have never seen any at the track. care to give cliff notes on what they compare to?

anyway, i believe this thread got a tad OT. yes you can get a gsr to 30+mpg highway.

thehatchninja 05-08-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

you're retarded. Honda builds some of the best engines in the world period. Plus an integra engine in a civic bolts in with all factory mounts, factory engine harness etc. It's so easy. However it is not something people do for FE, it's for performance. If you want mileage keep the stock engine.

With bolt ons in my GSR swapped CX I beat my friends GST with 16G. Smaller engine, no forced induction. 4g63's are just strong, that's the only thing good about them.

With a s/c or even a small turbo on the stock SOHC engine many people see an increase in FE, if they can keep their foot out of it. The engine just doesn't have to work as hard to move the vehicle.

thehatchninja 05-08-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Here's a biased opinion;

If you're comparing a swapped car, then compare a gsr swapped civic, not a GSR. I averaged more MPG's in hatch then in your mx3, and I'm sure it was faster. not hating, KLZE swapped MX3 is no joke, but I've read that those heads don't flow well at all, so if you want to start modding it your options are limited. If you want to mod a swapped civic there is no limit. Also there is maintenance, and availability of parts to consider. VTEC also allows for an economy cam profile and a performance cam profile.

I'm definitely biased, but for good reason. Hondas are great :)

EH3 05-08-2008 06:01 PM

for the OP
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7145

Quote:

Here's a biased opinion;

how about some performance numbers to support that claim.

you're insane if you think a KZLE swapped mx3 or probe is going to outperform a GSR in "every way". i have seen near stock GSRs run high 14. they are one of the finest handling stock FWD cars made and have a limitless aftermarket.

GasSavers_Dust 05-08-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehatchninja (Post 98753)
you're retarded.

Sip the kool-aid much? What I know, when I watch videos, or talk to Japanese people, or see modded cars, is this. Hondas are for rice boys. Convertible Civic with 18?s and 5 colors of paint, and a fart can. Saw it this weekend. Also the Ford Mustangs too. The subarus are the racer boy posers who just want to be put back in the seat. The drifters drop the silvias, with a big exhaust pipe, and a huge FMIC with an aftermarket lip. The Skylines and supras are mostly sleepers, with an exhaust, and an FMIC. The NSX?s are the weekend cruisers of those with money to spare, and the S2K is rarely seen.

Just because a Honda engine will last ?forever?, doesn?t mean that it is the best for the needs listed here. I enjoy watching Twin Ring Motegi videos (about 30 minutes away from me), where they compare the cars. My favorite was when they had the ?everyday? cars, and a crx hatch got beat by a Suzuki Cappucino(F6A-T), meaning 660ccs plus a VERY small turbo, in a light car obviously, but still. The Nissans and Mazdas battled up front while the ITR and the CTR fought for the middle, and the CRX and the Capp brought up the rear.

Yes, I know that the Honda engine bolts into a Honda, I was a ricer once. I know what a ?fast? VTAK powered car feels like. I almost bought a ?modded? Prelude VTEC with 220 hp. I was expecting to be put back in the seat, all I got was someone farting in the engine. I think the salad shooter on my Move was more impressive than the venerable DOHC VTEC high lobe kick. The comparable DSM comes with the same power, and an extra 30-50 are a 10 minute trip to Home Depot away. I remember racing a modded Civic in my GTP when all I had was a FWI. It was nice to see the look on the girls face. I had less in the car than she had in body kit and rims.

Thehatchninja In the same breath, you can say a turbo allows for a performance and an economy setting. I can get really good numbers in my Move when I stay in vacuum, but when I need it, as low as 3000 rpms (VTAK is 5500 right), the turbo sings and I scoot right along. Last I knew, VTEC was just a moving cam, with no real way to adjust for more power, I.E. low and high boost, etc. Slap a turbo on a swapped hatch, and yeah you're fast, but you have $6000 in a motor in a $2000 car. Don?t get in a wreck, or hope you have insurance to cover your mods. And it?s still a Honda, and the kid on the next block has the same thing. And the guy on the "other side of the tracks" thinks that he needs your B1337548c655354 more than you do.

Economy, sure I think that Honda has that down pretty well. When I watch TV here in Japan, I don't see ads for hp, I see ads for MPG, what they do best.

StorminMatt 05-09-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 98807)
Yes, I know that the Honda engine bolts into a Honda, I was a ricer once. I know what a ?fast? VTAK powered car feels like. I almost bought a ?modded? Prelude VTEC with 220 hp. I was expecting to be put back in the seat, all I got was someone farting in the engine. I think the salad shooter on my Move was more impressive than the venerable DOHC VTEC high lobe kick. The comparable DSM comes with the same power, and an extra 30-50 are a 10 minute trip to Home Depot away. I remember racing a modded Civic in my GTP when all I had was a FWI. It was nice to see the look on the girls face. I had less in the car than she had in body kit and rims.

The problem here is that a 220HP Prelude motor is just not going to be impressive in a 3000 pound Prelude. Swap that same motor into a CRX, and you are dealing with a completely different beast. With my scrappy 1988 CRX with a B18C5 under the hood (internally bone stock, NO TURBO), I EASILY beat GT Mustangs, yet get over 30MPG on the freeway. And the car just takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Add to that the fun factor of having all this in a small, highly maneuverable car and you can see that it is a combination of traits that is going to be hard to match with pretty much ANYTHING out there. Yes, there are going to be faster cars out there. But in all likelyhood, they are going to get FAR worse mileage and be some big, gigantic tank of a car. I don't know about you. But I just don't like big cars. If I wanted a V8, then an LS1 or Q45 swap in a Nissan 240SX is about all I could tolerate size-wise.

EH3 05-09-2008 03:48 AM

i do believe this thread is officially now completely jacked.

to the OP, an integra is quite aerodynamic. as posted above in my link, my last tank was 38mpg. i'm working on another 38-39mpg tank this week as well, so it's not a fluke. there are probably even other things that can be done to hit the magic 40 with a GSR. during the winter, while beating on the car regularly and driving 70-75mph i was averaging 31-33mpg. also i've found that having A/C on has a minimal affect on FE.

i love my car. with the b16/ITR gearing it's extremely fun to drive yet it still gets great FE at 70mph on the highway. yes, it's revving at over 4k rpm at that speed.

Bbasso 05-10-2008 12:25 PM

Did I Hear TYPE R ? :p

I have an 01 ITR with exhaust and a CAI, with those mods on the stock ECU I have seen 37.2 mpg with easy driving on the HWY. I would think a GSR could get into the 30s w/o any problems.

thisisntjared 05-11-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 98807)
I enjoy watching Twin Ring Motegi videos (about 30 minutes away from me), where they compare the cars.

let me know when you start doing.:thumbdown: :thumbdown: your analysis of all japanese cars is just a generalization about the character of the driver.

its not accurate. ive got some generalizations for you, you must be 17, dont actually race(non drag) legally, and you also probably dont work on cars either. nobody i know that actually does satisfy that criteria hates on honda like you do.

GasSavers_Dust 05-11-2008 07:35 PM

Wow you know me so well. Personal attack on the internet. Wow! Real E-thug. How does “me” invalidate comments about vehicles? When I turn on the TV, I see ads for the new GTR, and the New Fit. The Fit advertises 26 kmpl, and the GTR talks about suspension power, blah blah blah. No real offering in the power department from Honda lately unless you consider the S2K. Would you like to argue this point? I don’t think that commercials tell anything about the driver, but rather the kind of driver the company is trying to attract to the vehicle.
Even though it doesn’t matter, I am older than you, and I have spent many an hour under the hood of all of the cars I have owned. Ford, Ford, Honda, Ford, Honda, Pontiac, Ford, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Mazda, and Daihatsu. No, I don’t race for money. I just like to drag boot on 1431. I don’t have the urge to compete. IF I wanted to race on Motegi, I guess I could. Would take a lot of licenses though. I don’t hate on the car, just people who sip too much kool-aid. I just tell you what a car is good for. You put a normally powered engine H22 (220 hp) in a light vehicle, and yes you will have a faster car. The fact that neither of the cars can stand as "fast" by themselves tells not of the greatness of Honda. Like the guy who wanted to swap an H22 in his GST. 4 grand for 30 less hp, plus much less easy potential. If you want to compare, look into a Ford Mustang SVO, or a Dodge Colt with a 4g63 swap. Still a 2.something, put with more power, and more potential.

Be nice if the US got the Nissan Pulsar and the Starlet. That would be a nice mix of power and economy. To get it in the US you have to swap big engine into Econoboxes.

fowljesse 05-11-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EH3 (Post 98796)
for the OP
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7145

how about some performance numbers to support that claim.

you're insane if you think a KZLE swapped mx3 or probe is going to outperform a GSR in "every way". i have seen near stock GSRs run high 14. they are one of the finest handling stock FWD cars made and have a limitless aftermarket.

Yeah, that was a blanket statement without support. It was a moment of passion. My car runs mid 14s, and with complete suspension upgrade, including tuning the all wheel steering, gets about 1G on the skidpad. I can't prove it, though. It's true that the aftermarket for the GSR is HUGE. My only point is: for the money, a ZE MX-3 is a better value, and very unique. For the $$ you'd spend buying a stock GSR, you could build an MX-3 that would run circles around it (if you did the work yourself, like me).
I just got 33 MPG in it by the way.
I don't know, but I think it's a better value than a swapped civic.
I have about $3,000 into my car.

fowljesse 05-11-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three6Eight (Post 98658)
I just did somereading on a MX3

Very interesting that the V6 in it is only a 1.8. I was interested in a SVT Contour because of its 2.5 V6. I'm a fan of engines that are unique. Like I said though I dont want another 4 door car since I already have one.

I'll definately do some more research on the MX3.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

GasSavers_Dust 05-11-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowljesse (Post 99256)
Yeah, that was a blanket statement without support. It was a moment of passion. My car runs mid 14s, and with complete suspension upgrade, including tuning the all wheel steering, gets about 1G on the skidpad. I can't prove it, though. It's true that the aftermarket for the GSR is HUGE. My only point is: for the money, a ZE MX-3 is a better value, and very unique. For the $$ you'd spend buying a stock GSR, you could build an MX-3 that would run circles around it (if you did the work yourself, like me).
I just got 33 MPG in it by the way.
I don't know, but I think it's a better value than a swapped civic.
I have about $3,000 into my car.

last I checked it was about $3-4K to drop a H22 in a civic/del sol.

fowljesse 05-12-2008 10:23 AM

Is that the total for the car and engine? If so, that may be better, since you can get aftermarket suspension, etc.. for cheap.

THREE6EIGHT You can buy an MX-3 for $800 or less with a bad motor, and a KLZE engine, ECU, etc.. for about $800- $900, or a KLDE 2.5L (slighly less HP) engine for $200 - $300, and turbo it for 400 WHP. Or you can get one completely finished (with KLZE, and race suspension) for $2500 - $3500 on MX-3.com. Or, you can get a turbo 4 cyl. one for about the same price, and tune it up to more HP than mine.

By the way, these engines are built to last 600,000 miles, and are extremely smooth,. Many guys tried to blow up their 1.8L engines, before doing the swap. They did 100 shot NO2, revved them over 10,000, generally beat them up, but couldn't get them to die. You can find that in the forums, too.

thisisntjared 05-12-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 99227)
Wow you know me so well. Personal attack on the internet. Wow! Real E-thug. How does ?me? invalidate comments about vehicles? When I turn on the TV, I see ads for the new GTR, and the New Fit. The Fit advertises 26 kmpl, and the GTR talks about suspension power, blah blah blah. No real offering in the power department from Honda lately unless you consider the S2K. Would you like to argue this point? I don?t think that commercials tell anything about the driver, but rather the kind of driver the company is trying to attract to the vehicle.
Even though it doesn?t matter, I am older than you, and I have spent many an hour under the hood of all of the cars I have owned. Ford, Ford, Honda, Ford, Honda, Pontiac, Ford, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Mazda, and Daihatsu. No, I don?t race for money. I just like to drag boot on 1431. I don?t have the urge to compete. IF I wanted to race on Motegi, I guess I could. Would take a lot of licenses though. I don?t hate on the car, just people who sip too much kool-aid. I just tell you what a car is good for. You put a normally powered engine H22 (220 hp) in a light vehicle, and yes you will have a faster car. The fact that neither of the cars can stand as "fast" by themselves tells not of the greatness of Honda. Like the guy who wanted to swap an H22 in his GST. 4 grand for 30 less hp, plus much less easy potential. If you want to compare, look into a Ford Mustang SVO, or a Dodge Colt with a 4g63 swap. Still a 2.something, put with more power, and more potential.

Be nice if the US got the Nissan Pulsar and the Starlet. That would be a nice mix of power and economy. To get it in the US you have to swap big engine into Econoboxes.

way to read my post and refute my points. how could you really think that your age was part of my point? who the hell cares if you are older than i am?

man, the "personal attack" was to show that its not fair to make generalizations. i dont care how old you are. i dont care what you watch on tv. i dont care about your lack of experience. my point is that your opinion is based of lack of experience with the subject. you probably forgot. the subject is if 368 should replace his metro with a gsr. why would he swap a 4g63 or vw engine???

GasSavers_Dust 05-12-2008 04:10 PM

Maybe you should read the whole thread. My reply to the kool-aid sipping was for StorminMatt

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorminMatt (Post 98832)
The problem here is that a 220HP Prelude motor is just not going to be impressive in a 3000 pound Prelude. Swap that same motor into a CRX, and you are dealing with a completely different beast. With my scrappy 1988 CRX with a B18C5 under the hood (internally bone stock, NO TURBO), I EASILY beat GT Mustangs, yet get over 30MPG on the freeway.

You are the one who was trying to discredit me by calling me a 17 year-old internet racer(AKA a personal attack).

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 99204)
let me know when you start doing.:thumbdown: :thumbdown: you must be 17, dont actually race(non drag) legally, and you also probably dont work on cars either. nobody i know that actually does satisfy that criteria hates on honda like you do.

I hate on Fords too. I loved my dad's honda civic. It was a great A to B car, and lasted 220K miles before he sold it. My next Honda, the prelude, was slow, and still only got 28 mpg on a good day. For the same price, I bought a LOADED Grand Prix that was MUCH faster, bigger, comfortable, and got MUCH better gas mileage, especially considering it was a boat with a v-6 and SC. 30-32 was normal, even with a quick boost jaunt on the highway. The Prelude died every two weeks because of some short in the wiring, and left me stranded at Sonic, school, work, and random other places. The fix cost about $600, and when I sold it, my father said don’t take the car back, even if he wants to give it back. For a beater A to B vehicle, go for it. I think the number of Civic on this board is a testament to that. But when people got on saying you can be really fast and get good MPG, I threw in the Regal from another poster, because it would be faster, and still get low 30s on the highway.

thisisntjared 05-12-2008 06:09 PM

dust you just took the quote out of context to make it what you heard. THAT IS NOT ACCURATE!
read it again!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 99204)
let me know when you start doing.:thumbdown: :thumbdown: your analysis of all japanese cars is just a generalization about the character of the driver.

its not accurate. ive got some generalizations for you, you must be 17, dont actually race(non drag) legally, and you also probably dont work on cars either. nobody i know that actually does satisfy that criteria hates on honda like you do.

i was trying to show you that making generalizations doesnt always work. how the hell could you screw up the quote that bad?

you just ramble about crap. you arent even responding to what i am saying. are you drunk? do people just walk away from you in person because you cant hold a conversation and answer questions?

want to take the thread to a state of remotely being back on topic?? if not then somebody should lock it.:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: