1994 civic vx speedometer not working? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

1994 civic vx speedometer not working?

Hi All,

Today I bought a stock 1994 civic vx with relatively miles on it. There are 3 things that I would like to fix on the car.

1. The speedometer works intermittently any ideas on what the problem is?

2. There is no belt on the ac compressor which spins freely. What is the common problems with the ac?

3. I would also like to install cruse control and wonder how hard it would be to add it from another Honda?

The reason I ask is usually certain problems are common with specific types of car. Any advice would be welcome?

Sorry if my post is a bit scattered its late,

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Mpls, Mn

GasSavers_swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 95 vx.
1. I would check the VSS which is on top of your transmission. If you do a search, you'll find a thread about it.
2. Regarding the A/C I dont know of any known problems since A/C wasn't standard on our VXs. I have A/C too. If when you put a belt and it doesn't work, on one scale it might just need to be charged. On the other end, the compressor probably needs to be replaced.
3. I'm on a number of civic forums and I've seen where people go to juck yards abd raid a cruise control equipped civic and put them on theirs so I know it can be done. There are however a few parts to get. Join some of the other forums like civic-eg.com, clubeg.com, and clubcivic.com. There are a few other forums I'm part of but those should get you going. When I have issues, I post on here (which I'm about to do) and the others to get a bunch of suggestions.

Sam

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Sam.

I will have a look at the VSS, I assume it is the speed sensor like other cars?

On the AC issue, on the Honda accords I have owned they had a problem with the rubber seals drying and leaking were the coolant lines connected to the block on the condenser. I though maybe these things had the same problem??

I will hook up a belt today and jump the compresser and see if it works and go from there. I will look at the other civic forums you mention.

Thanks again,

Bill
Mpls, MN
Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
If its not the VSS its the circuit board inbehind the speedometer, happen to me, but i found a whole cluster from a junk yard online 40$ shipped and instead of trying to roll back the speedometer i just swapped the circuit boards very easy to do.
vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
replacing your VSS won't fix the speedo but replacing your Cluster will. This is a very common problem with this car, and yet people keep erroneously suggesting to replace the VSS. I'd be very surprised if its the VSS.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks Guys!

Which gauge clusters will work in this 94 civic vx?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Mpls, MN
Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Make sure the hub of the compressor will turn, not the part the belt attaches to. If the compressor is locked up the hub will not rotate but the outer portion where the belt rides will still rotate. If that is the case you will just burn up the belt.

Might also help to just try one of the valves to see if there is any freon in the system. Just a quick push to see if there is any pressure in the system.

regards
gary
Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi All,

OK just checked the ac compressor and the clutch and the belt pulley spin. The belt pulley spins very free so thats good. I check the idler pulley and the bearing is frozen which was why the guy never replaced the belt. I also checked the high pressure line and it has pressure in it which means freon, yeah!!

Were can these idler bearings be bought? Any auto parts store?

If I wanted to add a clock were in the dash does the stock clock go? Can some one show me a picture?

Thanks and talk soon,

Bill
Mpls, MN
Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

Dont know about Honda but in the earlier Nissans you could just replace the bearing. Held in with a snap ring. When you take the pully off put the nut, and washers back on the shaft exactly like they came off.

regards
gary