92 Civic VX 5 wire Oxygen sensor question - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd O
Got the sensor and it fixed my Check engine light.

Thanks for the help
How much did you end up having to pay for the sensor?

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Registered Member

I payed $197 on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1422077&rd=1,1

Todd O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Not a bad price. I only wish I have bought more of those sensors 4 years ago. I bought 4 of them at $107 a piece. And to think, they were used for tuning turbo cars with the DIY WB kits, lol. the good thing was I still had one left when I finally got my VX and needed a new O2 for it.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Reviving the thread

Hi, I currently own a 96 civic HX and believe my oxygen sensor is giving out wrong readings. Not sure how I can check this, but after I've seafoamed the car through the pcv valve and the gas tank, I had my mechanic change the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil change, coolant flush.

Problem is that I smell unburnt gasoline during start up. The car also feels as if it might have lost power. Does this mean my car is running in rich mode? How would I be able to check?

I've connected the OBD II reader to my vehicle and it doesn't give out any codes. Would this issue be related to the oxygen sensor? Does seafoam affect the oxygen sensor in any way? My car is getting about 35mpg mixed driving with 96,000 miles.

I have also found the universal 5-wire wideband sensors on ebay for about $56, however, from what I've read so far, it looks like it won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...176557807&rd=1

http://wbo2.com/cable/lsuconns.htm

^ Shows the legend for each connector, however, the honda service manual only shows trouble shoots for it.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
96vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
Registered Member

Even if your sensor isn't good, you really shouldnt smell unburnt gas. I would suspect a gas leak somewhere.

If your mileage is 35 MPG mixed, and the car has no check engine lights, sounds to me like your sensor is fine.

When the car goes into lean-burn, it actually feels slower, so that might be what you are feeling. WHen it goes out of lean-burn, you will feel a small push of extra power.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks for that info. I've just contacted another party, and as it turns out, the NTK and BOSCH oxygen sensors operate on different technologies although both are 5-wire wideband. Those from BOSCH offered at $56 are designed for Volkswagen.

I don't quite feel any power pushes so I don't think it's in lean-mode. Well, I smell the unburnt gas when turning my car on for a minute and backing it into my driveway. Am I the only one who smells that rich gasoline smell when turning on my car in a compact area?

Living in a small and busy city (San Francisco), traffic is pretty much everywhere. I'll try driving more conservatively and see how the mpg turns out.
96vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

arose from the dead help my VX please

I didnt want to start a new topic on one that has been covered. I have the problem with the smell of unburnt gas (running rich) & mid 30's mpg. I am in the process of running it down now. first is going to be setting the ignition timing then new tps (already ordered figured couldnt hurt) then I would like some answers. She has had a full tune up. There is a new 5 wire o2 not put on by me & they tied in a 6th wire on to an existing 5 wire harness. the extra wire is a yellow with black stripe. Thanks
GasSavers_jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96vtec View Post
Hi, I currently own a 96 civic HX and believe my oxygen sensor is giving out wrong readings. Not sure how I can check this, but after I've seafoamed the car through the pcv valve and the gas tank, I had my mechanic change the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil change, coolant flush.

Problem is that I smell unburnt gasoline during start up. The car also feels as if it might have lost power. Does this mean my car is running in rich mode? How would I be able to check?

I've connected the OBD II reader to my vehicle and it doesn't give out any codes. Would this issue be related to the oxygen sensor? Does seafoam affect the oxygen sensor in any way? My car is getting about 35mpg mixed driving with 96,000 miles.

I have also found the universal 5-wire wideband sensors on ebay for about $56, however, from what I've read so far, it looks like it won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...176557807&rd=1

http://wbo2.com/cable/lsuconns.htm

^ Shows the legend for each connector, however, the honda service manual only shows trouble shoots for it.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
Hi I have a 97 HX with 318,200miles avg mpg is 45-50 ,5sp,full syn. valvoline.had to replace both 02 sensors header one was a killer on the wallet but the cat one i used a bosch .got ck eng lights for both.one thing u could check is the EGR ports ,their located under a cover beneath the fuel injector rail,you have to pull the injectors and rail then remove 6@ bolts on the cover pull it off and the ports are on the intake manifold,i clean mine every 100,000 ,caused a misfire one time all ports were pluged except cyl#3 gas milage really sucked,i do all the maintenance myself,car runs great. msweatherhead@gmail.com (if u have any more ? on a HX)

msweatherhead is offline   Reply With Quote