92 VX failed smog too high HC - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Miser View Post
Good going, happy for you. One thing, you can see into your cat? Unless you're using some kind of optical or video equipment I don't think you're looking into your "cat". Perhaps your exhaust manifold? How likely is catalytic damage when running w/o an O2 sensor? (uh, yeah, guilty as charged)
On the vx the cat is directly attached to the exhaust manifold. Pretty sure it's the cat I'm looking into, it's honycomb patterned like I would expect.

thewizard182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Checked all vacuum lines and they look good.
With the fed ECU in it I am still getting 40-45mpg mixed driving, best is 51 all highway.
It appears the cat is original and might just be time to replace it.
Atleast I have a while before I need to worry about it again, but I definitely need to fix it before I try to smog again.

With 260k I'm thinking I may have valve problems.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
On the vx the cat is directly attached to the exhaust manifold. Pretty sure it's the cat I'm looking into, it's honycomb patterned like I would expect.
Is the o2 sensor oriented vertically atop the exhaust manifold on the '92? My
'94's is horizontal, on the down tube. Trying to see much of anything other than the opposing wall is difficult.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

Oh boy, either I'm getting old or I'm drinking too much. I'm under the hood of the wrong car! Please forgive me. Four kids, one wife, six cars (five Hondas), one shade tree mechanic (apparantly beginning to lose some mental acuity.)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

I had to replace my plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor button to overcome a HC failure. I was reading like 300-400 ranges. Everything else was fine, thankfully.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Registered Member

Re: 92 VX failed smog too high HC

So it's time to smog again, and I'm having issues again.
When it goes from the high rpm test to the low rpm test the HC maxes the machine at 2000 for several seconds. The number otherwise ranges from 40-250 HC.

I knew it would be difficult to pass this time so I already did these things before testing:
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Cap and rotor
Cleaned IACV
Air filter
Fuel filter
Seafoam through intake vacuum lines and fuel rail
Cleaned EGR
Checked for vacuum leaks
Oil change

I still need to do a new compression test and check vacuum.
Mileage is around 275k.

It has a misfire at around 1000rpm and that seems to be when it maxes out the HC. Trying to figure out what's causing it still.

My o2 sensor readings are hard to get. It moves all over the place, and reads open every few seconds before bouncing around more. Bad o2? I don't remember it ever reading open before.
I tried both the CA ecu and FED ecu with similar results.