civic model years for the VX swap ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2023, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

civic model years for the VX swap ?

Hello,

we are thinking of buying a d15z1 engine and swapping it into a civic hb.
I was wondering if anyone knew which civic model years/trims are compatible with the vx motor?
should I stick to 92-95?
cause I can't help thinking, the newer the chassis...the better condition it might be in.

thanks
jackyjoy

yuvsaha123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Can't say as to the question, but installing an old engine into a newer model year car may not pass your state's emissions inspection.

The VX also made use of lighter weight parts(wheels, brake rotors) than other Civics of the time. The transmission likely was geared differently too. It wasn't all the engine.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

The VX D15Z1 was an OBD 1 engine, and all Civics (and pretty much everything else) was OBD II starting in 1996. Therefore, I don't believe the ECU would work in a '96 and up. Also, the VX was 49-state compliant in 1992-1995. It wouldn't pass emissions from 1996 and up. That's why they switched strategies for the HX.

The VX also had lighter-weight wheels, the spoiler and front air dam, the aluminum alternator bracket, a clutched alternator, the CX transmission gearing, and a bunch of stuff missing. It had no power steering, power locks, power mirrors, cruise, A/C (added as a dealer option), rear wiper, or radio (again, a dealer option). When the radio was selected, the car had 2 door speakers only. The wipers were 2-speed wipers. There was less sound deadening material. As such, the car weighed 2,048 lbs, which is about 300 lbs less than a 1992-1995 Si hatchback. The whole car contributed to the mileage.

Something I did on my VX back in the day was lower it 2 inches. Getting it out of the wind increased my mileage by about 15%.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Reminds me of my uncle's LX sedan with vx d15z1 project back in the day. Great mpg and is very reliable. Too bad someone was texting and driving in an intersection and totaled it. Uncle might have some photos and info of that project. I'll ask when I help him mount the suspension and shocks from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler TJ.
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, the D15Z1 engine is compatible with a variety of Civic model years and trims. However, if you are looking for the newest chassis and best condition, you should stick to 1992-1995 Civics.

The D15Z1 engine was first introduced in the 1992 Civic DX and EX models. It was also used in the 1993-1995 Civic DX, EX, and Si models. The D15Z1 is a 1.5L, 16-valve, DOHC engine that produces 108 horsepower and 111 lb-ft of torque. It is a reliable and efficient engine that is well-suited for a Civic HB swap.
Here are some of the benefits of using a newer chassis for your Civic HB swap:

Newer chassis are generally in better condition. They have less wear and tear and are less likely to have rust or other problems.
Newer chassis are more fuel-efficient. This is because they have newer engine technology and are made with lighter materials.
Newer chassis have more features. This could include things like airbags, ABS, and power windows.
If you are considering a Civic HB swap, I recommend that you do your research and choose the right engine and chassis for your needs.
ThanogHamros is offline   Reply With Quote