Less Obvious MPG Underdogs - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Well the Hondas are 1/2 the weight to begine with, and have 1/2 the power! That's why.

So in light of that, doesn't the Lexus seem MORE efficient?

My point - The Lexus has MORE potential than the Honda in relation to where it starts. The Honda is already light, and designed for efficiency. The Lexus is designed for luxury and has over 1000 pounds of easily removable weight. It also has a decently agressive tune on the ECU wich could be fixed with some cleaver EPROM changes.

That's why it's an underdog, or less common FE vehicle project. It's extreme pig nature and image makes people assume it won't be a very FE vehicle, when in actually it's not bad for what it is already, and much can be done to imrpove it.

I was chatting with some friends last night who have more "well endowed" pocket books than me, and we're serious talking about building a LeMons racer, which rules say has to be under $500. We're thinking the SC400 would make a good candidate. If I can find one around $1500 or less (not TOO uncommon, but not easy to find) with good interior, we can sell all the nice inside bits to get the cost down to $500.

If we DO go that route for the car, I'll see what MPG I can achieve before the modifications get to the point of being illegal.

GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Gollum, I think we are looking at it from slightly different angles, but I see your point and good luck with your project.

Ross

djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Registered Member

Yea, it's hard to express why to do something like this, or get help on what other cars to choose from, but I'm hoping this would be a good starting point.

If I was going for pure high FE numbers, I think I'd follow your adice and buy something like a CRX HF or Civic VX.
GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
See also
http://gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7449
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Registered Member

Gollum: Yes honda makes some great FE cars. I should know iv'e owned four civics and currently have two now. Even though I love these cars I think you should seriously look into some VW's or Audi's.

Out of the box they might not do as good but, with some weight reduction, aero improvments, and some head work acheiving over 40mpg's should be easily achievable.

If I were you I would search for a scirrocco. They are still fairly easy to find and if your not satisfied with the gearing you can always change it. Plus CIS is easily tunable.

And don't forget the tdi or idi or idi with turbo. They all easily achieve high 40's and if you try a little your in the low 50's with no car mods.

Either way good luck and keep searching ,
Chris
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post

If I were you I would search for a scirrocco.
Chris

I remember in the rescue squad we used one for extrication class years ago. (At least I think that's what this car was - I remember it was a VW, and it wasn't a Rabbit.)

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
Registered Member

To really improve your mileage you need a manual transmission.

regards
gary
Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

Jay- Wow that looks pretty nasty.

Looks like midwest 1992ish

GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote