More VX Info, Factory Dyno Plot, and calculation request - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Exclamation More VX Info, Factory Dyno Plot, and calculation request

I was correcting some miss-information in a different Forum on the internet and thought I'd throw it out here as well for the furtherance of human knowledgement.

The dyno graph from Honda on the VX:

PS = Metric Horseower (very close to international HP) = 92 HP (international)
Green shading = kgm = Torque (kilogram meters); 13.9 (kg m) = 100.538893 ft. pounds
Blue shading = g/PS-h = Fuel Consumption = grams of fuel consumed per hour per horsepower at a given engine speed. Weight of one US gallon of fuel ~6.5Lbs. = 2,948 grams.

Anyone care to make a little conversion to Gallons per hour from the information provided as a reference to future information seekers? I don't have the time to put into that right now and though it would be good to share.

Hope this info helps out for the archives.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

I just love that flat tq curve on the VX.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Did the place where you got this have any other civic engines?
kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
HERE is the link to the Honda Fact Book. It's all in Japanese, but you can navigate it fairly easy.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Wow, I was going about 93mph at 3000RPM --which is only about 50hp out of a possible 92--makes me wonder what the top speed on the VX is. (was trying to get home in time for Xmas). Car passes high speed test with flying colors (no signs of instability or funny noises or anything out of the ordinary, just a bit loud.

Averaging between 75 and 90mph (most of the time I was doing about 80mph) I burned through about 4 gallons of gas over 150 miles (that's a guestimate)--only about 100 of those were interstate (and thus 80mph+). Which equates to a little less than 40mpg. Lot of hard acceleration tho to keep up with the WRX and some other fast cars that I was driving with.

The conversion then is about 4.375 gallons of gas consumed at 3500rpm in one hour which equates to about 24mpg assuming the speed at that RPM is 105mph.

At a little under 2000rpm 2.576 gallons is consumed over 60 miles. 23.29mpg. hmm.. not doing this conversion right. Oh nevermind, I understand. This is max output at the given RPM. So if I was full out going up a slight hill maintaining 105mph at 3500rpm I'd still be getting 24mpg!? That seems pretty damn good. So I'd be getting better fuel economy full out at 105mph then I would be on a grade that would force me to be at full output (up a hill) at 60mph. Interesting. I always wondered if that would be the case because there is more power at the higher RPMs.

If 208 grams of fuel is used per horsepower per hour then you multiply that by the number of horsepower produced at that given RPM right? which would be about 62hp. Then you divide that by 2948 to convert it into the amount of gallons. Or correct me if that isn't the right method. I think I understand correctly what the fuel consumed per hour per horsepower is actually measuring.

EDIT: Seems that the ultimate RPM for power is about 4600rpm. The rag tag mechanic I haven't needed to go to in a long time test drove my car once and said the power drops off at about 4500rpm. He said the car's power band is between 1700 and 4500rpm. He said anything outside that range and the car isn't making power. He was giving me a hard time for running my car at low rpms--that the car wants to be revved to normal engine speeds but he didn't seem at all familiar with the idea of a car being designed to run at a lower RPM to save fuel because he drives an American muscle car. Anyway, I digress.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
HERE is the link to the Honda Fact Book. It's all in Japanese, but you can navigate it fairly easy.
Very cool site Too bad on the Insight they didn't post a fuel curve. Numbers aside, both the VX and the Insights engine curves look similar

Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
So I'd be getting better fuel economy full out at 105mph then I would be on a grade that would force me to be at full output (up a hill) at 60mph. Interesting. I always wondered if that would be the case because there is more power at the higher RPMs.
without looking at the #'s and assumptions, I'd think it doesn't take into consideration aerodynamics and the large increase in drag force from 60 to 105 MPH. So while the engine may be slightly more efficient, there's a lot more work the engine is having to do to overcome the aero-drag forces.
first350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
right, that's why I said up a hill at 60mph--because you'd have to be at a greater incline at 60mph to be at full output and not accelerate beyond 60mph. At 105mph, you'd have to be at a very small incline to maintain 105mph at full output without accelerating. So, yeah, kind of a dumb point I am making.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Wow, I was going about 93mph at 3000RPM --which is only about 50hp out of a possible 92--makes me wonder what the top speed on the VX is.
The top speed of the VX is ECU limited to 116mph. This has been verified personally by me (on a track, of course).

Quote:
Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I'm surprised to hear it has a governor on it. And that it's so high.