need help with scan gauge - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

need help with scan gauge

?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Supporting Member

bowtieguy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
Help!!! My 95 olds is not compatible with a scan gauge? Is there an older model or generic that will fit this vehicle. Also, would like to hear from owners with similar cars and what you are doing to improve FE. Tank houses a 3.8 V6(not supercharged). No mods, just using 195 thermostat,amsoil(engine and tranny), and acetone to the tune of 20+% increase. Need more!!!
There is a chance that you are maybe partially compatible. Do you have the OBDII connector under your dash? From what I have read, 1996 was the year for required compliance, but some car companies were implementing part of the OBDII specification ahead of schedule.

Did you ask the scangauge folks if your car was "pre-compatible"?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

my 95 buick park ave had the obd2 style connector but was incompatible with obd2 scan tool at autozone (it would plug in but wouldn't communicate). It wasn't the same obd1 were you could put in a jumper and flash codes with CEL either so I had no way to pull codes without a special dealer scanner . It was in some transition stage or something.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Supporting Member

jwxr7 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
my 95 buick park ave had the obd2 style connector but was incompatible with obd2 scan tool at autozone (it would plug in but wouldn't communicate). It wasn't the same obd1 were you could put in a jumper and flash codes with CEL either so I had no way to pull codes without a special dealer scanner . It was in some transition stage or something.
Ooooooooh, I hadn't thought of that. Use Autozone to see if you car is OBDII compatible.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
thank you for the info on your cousin vehicle to mine--kind of what i expected. you just confirmed that for me. would you share info on your mpg and FE endeavors on this vehicle. sounds like you no longer have it, but if you remember such data, i am interested. thanks again.
No problem.
I never drove it for FE (it was before I found this site), but I averaged around 26-27 mpg still. I had several tanks in the low 30's, one was while hauling 3 extra people on a highway trip. I really liked the engine/ trans control with programming towards FE. It would upshift early and lug the engine for me, it had great highway gears and lots of power too. The tc lock-up was even smart enough to let go on hills and coast down while letting the engine idle down. Compare that to my wife's taurus, it has similar power with the 24v v-6 but it is definitely not programmed or geared towards FE.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote