new o2 sensor - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
new o2 sensor

I got me a "new" Honda part o2 sensor (L1H1) into my car and it is haaaappppeeeee! Only thing is it still has that little kick as you are trying to maintain a speed--I guess that little kick means it's going out of lean burn? So I'm cruising at 45mph. Maybe the speed will drop to 44, and then I'll get a little kick and the speed will go up--then the speed increase will stop and it will maintain speed or lose a little speed and then that little kick happens again. Does this little kick in power mean it's going out of lean burn? It was doing this much worse with my original o2 sensor when I bought the car (which prolly had 180,000 miles on it) which was why I replaced it (and also because of sever stumble at lower speeds/gears)

Just if other VXers could confirm this behavior with their VXes. Thanks!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Can someone tell me what their VX engine behavior is like when they are cruising on flat at 45mph? Thanks.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Can someone tell me what their VX engine behavior is like when they are cruising on flat at 45mph? Thanks.
You should feel consistent power when cruising at that speed unless you are giving it more or less gas so that it goes in/out of lean-burn.

The time you will feel it go in and out of lean-burn when cruising is over 70mph when you're reaching the RPM limit of the "3 valve" operation. You'll see your mpg drop when cruising at around 2300-2500 rpm (from my experience).

Make sure you have no check engine light and just get used to driving the car now that you have a good o2 sensor. It'll take a while to get used to it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
My car was a little "jerky" at cruising speed until I modified the PCV valve so that it is "stock" by removing the guts. It now cruises smooooth. Check that your PCV is correct, mine had been replaced by a previous owner. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

It's pretty subtle but I definitely notice it. I'll look into the PCV, thanks. I haven't tried driving the car at highway speed yet, so I can't say what it will be like then. My feeling is it may be more pronounced at higher speed. (I don't notice it at 30 or 35mph.)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #6

I think what you're feeling is normal. If I'm able to maintain a constant speed without moving the accelerator pedal, it stays in lean burn, but if the speed drops a little at a constant pedal position, like you said from 45 to 44, sometimes it will drop out of lean burn and the car will accelerate a little. I've found its generally easier to maintain lean burn in a lower gear because if the rpms are too low, it drops out of lean burn much easier.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhhs View Post
I think what you're feeling is normal. If I'm able to maintain a constant speed without moving the accelerator pedal, it stays in lean burn, but if the speed drops a little at a constant pedal position, like you said from 45 to 44, sometimes it will drop out of lean burn and the car will accelerate a little. I've found its generally easier to maintain lean burn in a lower gear because if the rpms are too low, it drops out of lean burn much easier.
Right, if I drove 45mph in 4th I probably wouldn't notice it continually dropping out of lean burn. Alright, sounds like it's normal.

EDIT: car stalled last couple times right after starting. So the RPM goes up when it starts then comes down, but instead of stopping at 500rpm it just stalled. Did this a few times recently. Might that have anything to do with PCV valve? Or something else?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #8

Does it die as soon as you return the key to the run position, or does it run for a second or 2 (or 3 or 4) and then die? If it dies right immediately, it could be the notorious fuel injector relay. I had that problem on 2 of my 3 civics in the past.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

It starts up, Rpm goes up to about 1500rpm and then drops and stalls. So I'd say about one and 1/2 seconds. When I restart it's fine. However... just now the damn battery light came on again!! I'm contemplating bringing it to a professional.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

That issue sounds like the main relay solder being bad. Search on honda-tech.com the issue of main relay and you'll see hundred of posts. Some with how-tos including pictures.

Common with Hondas of the late 80s through late 90s from my experience.

Mine is doing the same thing sometimes. I have another main relay in the trunk, just have to get around installing it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote