City Driving is Killng my FE - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

City Driving is Killng my FE

I've been getting great mileage (great for me = 40-50 mpg) out on the highway at 57 mph. The only problem is, I spend the other half of the time in city traffic, stop and go, sit and idle.

Mileage-wise, 80/20 Highway/City
Time-wise, 50/50.

Aside from buying a Hybrid, what can I do to my car that I haven't already tried to improve city mileage in the automatic? I've altered driving style, acceleration, less go-pedal all-around. I have noticed, once the TC kicks-in, it's like magic. FE increases dramatically, then less pedal is required. Can you alter the TC action manually, or do you have to be in top gear? I've noticed that sometimes it kicks in in 3rd before 4th like revving up a hill (hill-logic control) and the 4000 RPM trigger kicks the TC in, then once level ground is reached, a TC-engaged 3-4 ensues and a hard shift is realized.

Hmmm, what to do...

RH77