Coasting with an Auto - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Chrysler 300 -- Warning: Dangerous to N-Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
So, I took a VAC up to Calgary and their National Parks in the Rockies over a long weekend. Down a long hill on the Trans-Canada Highway 1, I put the rental Chrysler 300 into N and shut off the car. It coasted at the speed limit down the mountain. When it was time to start it back up, it wouldn't! Dead in the water, we coasted to a conveniently located turn-out on the side of the road. I had to turn the key to the complete OFF position and then start the car! If I did that moving, it would've locked the steering, potentially screwing us even further. I have some Canadian car stories to tell in a separate thread, but MetroMPG, I saw my first Pontiac Firefly!

RH77
Hahaha Chrysler is a brand I will nevrer call my own. But glad your safe so TEST N coast with engine off in a clear area folks! Do it in the wrong place and boy you'll never want to drive EVER again.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #12

Re: so let me get this straight,

Quote:
As far as I know, you can't damage the transmission from shifting to D-N or N-D without throttle input. N-bombing the tranny is putting the car in neutral when you're moving, say 65 mph, then in N go full throttle and shift into D. Since it's not a standing start bomb, it probably wouldn't tear things-up immediately, but a few times and it's shot.

RH77
Haha, now I'm thinking of N-bombing my auto tranny right before I do the 5-speed conversion, just for the hell of it and to see how many times it takes to kill it. Just talking about N-bombs makes me LoL.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Haha, now I'm thinking of N-bombing my auto tranny right before I do the 5-speed conversion, just for the hell of it and to see how many times it takes to kill it. Just talking about N-bombs makes me LoL.
LOL... "N-Bombs" almost sound like a cuss word.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #14
Registered Member

Didn't Think it was that big of a deal, but...

So, I've tried that a few times in a Rental just to see what would happen (never from a standing start), and it just kind of slips into whatever gear is appropriate and off you go! It's kinda like slipping the clutch in a manual. Evidently, it tears it up. (Didn't know that at the time -- I feel guilty about ripping up Rentals sometimes, because some poor sucker is going to buy it off of a used lot in a year or two. The roughest I've been is with that Chevy Trailblazer on the Rally stages -- particularly the last one where I beat the last 6 car's times.

So, if someone refers to the car as the "N-bomb", I'd be cautious ;-)

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
LOL... "N-Bombs" almost sound like a cuss word.
OMG, Bob dropped the N-bomb in front of the boss the other day. I thought he'd get fired on the spot!

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

Re: Didn't Think it was that big of a deal, but...

Quote:
I feel guilty about ripping up Rentals sometimes, because some poor sucker is going to buy it off of a used lot in a year or two.

RH77
I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me=owner of a previously rented car.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #17
Registered Member

Calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Great now you hate me *tear*. What about all the good times we had together here on Gassavers: the O/D discussion, your quarter-mile times. I've ruined it.

OK, now go back and re-read my post. I rent, on the average, 1-2 cars per week. 99% of the time I wouldn't ever do anything that would compromise the longevity of the vehicle. If you polled most people our age out there, they would tear the living **** out of rental cars: throwing it in reverse on the highway, jumping it over hills, driving at redline all day. I'm one of the good guys out there that rents cars. I may have compromised 1 or 2 cars out of almost 500 I've rented in my life. 1 was the Rally trailblazer -- the paint was scuffed. The other was the accidental N-Bomb before I knew the consequences. Go ahead and hate me, but be warned -- there are much worse people out there in the rental world.

My parents bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee for their Farm, which was a rental. The transmission went out at 160,000 miles and they had miscellaneous problems -- they got a good deal on it, but it was a rental. Anymore, I picture someone like my folks buying the vehicle. Does that make you feel any better ????????

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
Registered Member

Re: Calm down

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Great now you hate me *tear*. What about all the good times we had together here on Gassavers: the O/D discussion, your quarter-mile times. I've ruined it.

OK, now go back and re-read my post. I rent, on the average, 1-2 cars per week. 99% of the time I wouldn't ever do anything that would compromise the longevity of the vehicle. If you polled most people our age out there, they would tear the living **** out of rental cars: throwing it in reverse on the highway, jumping it over hills, driving at redline all day. I'm one of the good guys out there that rents cars. I may have compromised 1 or 2 cars out of almost 500 I've rented in my life. 1 was the Rally trailblazer -- the paint was scuffed. The other was the accidental N-Bomb before I knew the consequences. Go ahead and hate me, but be warned -- there are much worse people out there in the rental world.

My parents bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee for their Farm, which was a rental. The transmission went out at 160,000 miles and they had miscellaneous problems -- they got a good deal on it, but it was a rental. Anymore, I picture someone like my folks buying the vehicle. Does that make you feel any better ????????

RH77
It was a joke, we bought our car from a nissan dealer that bought it at an auction from a rental place. The transmission shifts fine. My cousin messed it up, I fixed it by resetting both the ecu and the transmission module and taking out the extra liquid out of the tranny.

Now my moms car is messed up, I feel sorry whoever buys that.
Engine broke down twice, ecu went crappy and had to be reproggramed, sometimes looses power on the freeway, and other little stuff. Our lease will be over in Nov. this year.

Sorry for the confusion, I don't hate you.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Registered Member

I know...just bustin' your chops

I know -- I'm just playing along. But at the same time, I don't want people to think I'm going around tearing the crap out of rental cars. I go back to the same places, so I might end up with the same car, and I don't want to be stranded. Also, to encourage people not to tear-up rentals, because it's not the rental agency that's going to get screwed, it's someone who buys a "well-maintained, late-model" vehicle. I live about 5 miles from a huge car auction facility. I see hundreds of car model-types that I've rented. Many dealers from all over buy them and sell them as "One-Owner" cars. Who knows what people have done to them, that can't be found by a good mechanic. But really, that goes for any used car anymore. Buyer beware.

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #20

I can see it now...revving

I can see it now...revving the engine to 6500 RPM's...burning oil smoke blowing out of the exhaust pipe [the car burns oil horribly at high rpm's]...slamming it into drive...the squeal of tires and the smell of burnt clutch packs. I just may have to indulge myself.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote