crazy idea- converting a gasoline engine to diesel - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #11

I've heard of some people doing it on 1.6 VW motors, didn't read much more on it. Back in the 80's we had a customer at our auto parts store that just got a Kubota tractor motor and installed it in a Bug. Phenomenal mileage.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Randy- thanks again for all the info, the air blast system seems pretty complex to fabricate.

I am now leaning more towards converting a lawnmower engine to a hot bulb engine, which could burn diesel, vegetable oil or even heavy oil. The biggest drawback there is that the efficiency of the hot bulb engines are lower than gas engines and they run very low rpms so power output is low.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
nitromethane engines are basiclya hot bulb desine, only they have the heat source inside the tube insted of heating the whole tube.
our delco light plant generator is a multi fuel design that can suposedly run on kerosen and light diesel fuels, I haven't hauled it out of the shedto take a look at it in a while, bit if i remember right it heats the fuel, and has an adjustable ritchness carburator, a heavy fly wheel, and high compression, start it on gasoline, warm it up and switch fuels.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member

It is not what you are asking about but my old Briggs and Stratton maintenance manual has instructions for operating on fuel oil. Double up the head gaskets and set the points a little closer to retard the timing. You need to run on gas until the engine gets warmed up. John Deer tractors had dual fuel tanks to simplify this. When I was a kid I heard of a Buick that ran dual fuel. It had two tanks and two carbs. One fed diesel and the other fed gasoline. Again I know this is not what you are asking about but it is as close as you are going to get without getting in over your head.

I am sure it could be done but I can't imagine why you would want to do this. There would be little economic payback for a one off engine.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

Wow- that's interesting. It surprises me that you would double the head gaskets (reducing compression) instead of installing an extra thin gasket to increase compression.

What age and hp of a Briggs is it? And how do they recommend you switch it over to fuel oil? A separate tank and use a selector valve to stop gas flow to the carb and begin feeding the carb fuel oil?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Registered Member

usedgeo

I found this discussion that describes what you mentioned:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.e...709975bba86ed5

"Kerosene or diesel can be run on spark ignition engines of low compression
( they have a very low octane rating... ) if it's preheated first. Or if
its a high compression engine the fuel can't be in the chamber untill you
want it to lite..ie a direct injected engine of diesel type.... kerosene is
not used as a 'diesel' fuel because it is a poor lubricant and the injector
pump will not last
The reasion for the preheat is that the kero ( or diesel ) must get above
it's vapor point to be able to lite..
An interesting thing would to use a dual combustion chamber of the honda
CVCC type and have different fuejs in the combustion chambers.... gasoline
in the aux chamber and kero or diesel in the main chamber... no preheat
would be required, and probably less smoke... "

My car has the Honda CVCC, but I'm not sure I'm ready to start modifying it...

This doesn't sound very promising "They claim power loss
is 15 to 25% and fuel consumption is 15% less then running on gasoline. "

Wouldn't that mean the same fuel usage per hp?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I think they ment fuel economy droped by 15%, so the overal hp per gallon would drop by 30-35%, at least that is what I fould in useing biodiesel in my honda cb125, at 50% biodiesel the power droped, and the fuel cosumed jumped, it also would not rev past about 3,000rpm (low for a 125cc engine).
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #18

In the spirit of this thread (and not trying to hijack, Erik), if you're looking for something to tinker with:

I've often wondered what it would take to get an engine to run backwards. I never put much thought in it, but at one time I had many Honda engines in my garage, and casually thought one day about trying to get one to run in the opposite direction.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Registered Member

I think it could be done provided it had a lower output (as in ~10hp/L) compared to the SI equivalent and you always started it warm. Either warm it up via a carb for a multifuel engine or for just diesel use a block/grid heater to get it started. You will be hard pressed to reinvent an injection system IMO so your best bet would be to make a mount for an older IP and run the injectors in place of the spark plugs. Based on what I've read most problems with GM diesels originate from the crappy head bolts, which a stud kit is supposed to fix. The diesel blocks are also supposed to be a hot ticket item for building a HO gasser.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #20
Registered Member

How a bout a 455 cid block? it can handle the compression. if diesel atomized at a higher pressure then you would have to get a smaller metoring nettle in your carburator with higher pump pressure and maybe a fuel shut off so it doesn't diesel (run when shut off). I don't see why it cant be done. I am interested in trying this 92 octane to a 25 diesel octane if it is possible. let me know. maybe if you rigg up a turbo or a supercharger. it could work.

ikegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote