Accord Diesel
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

It's coming, for brains.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
*shrug*

They talk about NG and yet they've stopped selling the GX, they still have the 05 listed on their site, tisk tisk.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

They have to appear partial. But we all know they're like "ZOMG diesel pwns!"
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
*shrug*

Well, it does of course, after they redesigned it...
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
Stuff like this actually bothers me.

Honda makes a huge luxury car (accord) that can get 92mpg.

Why are we still screwing around with gasoline when diesel gets double the gas mileage in stock condition?
Imagine how that thing would do with a body aerodynamic enough to rival a GM Precept(.16 Cd). Can you say 120 mpg?

Quote:
You can't go over 80 on the freeway without getting a ticket.
Sure you can. Just don't get caught.

Quote:
They have to appear partial. But we all know they're like "ZOMG diesel pwns!"
To anyone with some semblence of education, they fail miserably.

"I think four cylinders and diesels make a lot of sense with the price of gas," Watts said "But we're looking at everything ? diesels, compressed natural gas, fuel cells, hybrids and E85. We don't believe there's one solution."

Like every other major automaker(barring Mitsubishi), they outright ignore the battery EV, the most promising of them all.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
To anyone with some semblence of education, they fail miserably.

"I think four cylinders and diesels make a lot of sense with the price of gas," Watts said "But we're looking at everything ? diesels, compressed natural gas, fuel cells, hybrids and E85. We don't believe there's one solution."

Like every other major automaker(barring Mitsubishi), they outright ignore the battery EV, the most promising of them all.
Dood, that's just malignant. You got some numbers to back that up?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Well, EV technology since the 90s has allowed comparable range and performance to gasoline cars. The only thing that hasn't been verified is costs, but only because Es haven't been mass produced. There are numerous studies that have projected the costs of manufacturing EVs, and found them comparable to gasoline cars.

The Solectria Sunrise achieved 373 miles per charge at highway speeds on NiMH batteries in 1996(http://www.evadc.org/ev_faq.html) the Solectria Force achieved 249 miles on a charge with NiMH batteries in 1997(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3650/is_199709/ai_n8780200), the GM EV1 giot between 140-160 miles per charge with NiMH batteries and achieved 225 miles driven very gently in a Tour De Sol(http://www.ovonic.com/news_events/5_2_press_releases/20000525.htm),among others.

I'm sure you know the NiMH EV1 did 0-60 mph in under 8 seconds. It was governor limited to 80 mph, but with the governor removed, the car did over 180 mph on a test track(video: http://www.evchargernews.com/CD-A/gm_ev1_web_site/gallery/gallery_footage1.htm).

This is all 1990s technology, 10 years old. These are viable range numbers for mass production and commercial sale. The performance was mostly a matter of the motor/inverter used, as the batteries provided more than adequate power. Thus slow cars like the Sunrise and force could have been fitted with the propulsion system used in the EV1 to achieve good performance.

What about cost?

The following study examines mass production costs of EVs. Of note is that a NiMH EV could have been mass produced for under $30k years ago:

http://www.ipd.anl.gov/anlpubs/2000/05/36138.pdf

Another study in 2003 found that the battery and drive system for a midsize Li Ion battery car that seats 5 adults, does 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, and has 300 miles range, with no special attention to efficiency or aerodynamics, would cost under $20k in mass production.

http://www.evuk.co.uk/EAVES_BEV_VS_FCV%20040703.pdf

So for roughly decade or so, electric cars have been viable insofar as performance, range, and production cost.

It's not only promising, but it can meet the basic criteria for being marketable.

Compared with other alternatives, EVs win out in reducing pollution, reducing costs to the consumer, and reducing overall energy use. One of the studies above compares the overall well to wheel efficiency of EVs versus hydrogen, for instance, and EVs are found to use 1/3 the energy overall. Further, EVs don't need no funky energy delivery system like hydrogen does, as they can be charged in your garage.

Natural gas is non-renewable, ethanol has questionable EROEI.

Electricity can be produced from renewable sources like wind turbines(> 25 EROEI) and solar panels(> 10 EROEI). Even with electricity from coal-fired electric power plants, electric cars are cleaner than gasoline cars by far(http://www.evadc.org/pwrplnt.pdf).

Hybrids really aren't an alternative if they still use gasoline.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
*shrug*

They made a battery EV years ago, they already looked at it,
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

I firmly believe that we are going to be seeing a LOT more diesel cars in the near future.

Have you seen the Audi R10? I went to the Le Mans series race last weekend and had a chance to sit down the the president and CEO of the series. He talked a lot about Audis effort with the R10 and how they have choosen this car to roll out a whole new era of diesel engines.

The R10 is an amazing car! Really, it's completely silent. All you can hear is the air being split. And, it fits within the specifications to race P1 in the series.

He told me that Audi is going to change the way the world views diesel engines. They will be coming out with new diesel Audis that are quiet, luxurious, are very powerful, and get the milage of a gas/electric hybrid. He said, "that's all I can tell you (wink)".

So yeah, stay tuned. I can't wait!!
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote