If only the U.S. could start getting more cars like this... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Looks like a Yaris . . . with a smaller engine. Problem is in the USA that it would not pass the impact safety requirements just like the Smart would not.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Radix Lecti: My VW Jetta TDi has the same deal. Mine needs a change every 60k though. You win some, you lose some. I doubt if during my ownership of the vehicle that I will even have to replace it though. I am speaking of the timing belt of course.

Sludgy makes an interesting point. I can now see how the government would profit from having low-FE vehicles. Nice insight.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #23
Registered Member

A whole list of little diesels that would help:

http://www.bovinebazaar.com/deisel.htm
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #24
Team OPEC Busters!

For VW TDI (diesels), they now make a 100k timing belt that can be swapped out at any change with the older belts. As of 2003.5's they went to all 100k belts, smart move if you ask me. The funny thing is they still sell both the 60k and 80k belts. I suppose some just replace them with what was in there and the mechanics aren’t going to tell you since you would be back 20k or 40k sooner
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Registered Member

There was a change in the belts (pulley width? tooth depth? pitch?) that makes the recent motors' 100k belt incompatible with the very early motors (like mine). I have to cope with the 60k limit as that's the only belt that fits mine.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
Registered Member

i think the 60K mile rule on timing belts is a joke, i don't know anyone that has ever broken a belt, or changed one at the suggested interval, now i know it's a good idea to do preventative maintenance, but, take my 94 civic VX for example, at 220,000 miles i replaced the original water pump, and timing belt and timing cover seal. The pump and seal were leaking,(slightly) and i only changed the timing belt because i was in there, the original belt looked fine, it had some cracking in the roots of the teeth, but that was about it, and i had risked it long enough. I haven't been nice to this car either, i have over 50 time slips from taking this car down the drag strip, all in the name of fun cause it's not a very fast car, but launching the car off the rev limiter and not lifting to shift over 50 times, it's held up well. my car still has the belts that were on it when i got it, and it's now at 248,000 miles, and it still has the original clutch, it doesn't slip, but it doesn't grab until the pedal is almost all the way up. I'm at a point now where i don't feel the urge to race, and i've been more concerned with mileage in the past year or so, and my best tank full with my heavy foot was 47mpg and i get an average of 40 without the AC on (florida winter) and 35mpg with the AC on (florida summer) i drive 60 miles round trip to work every day, and i just can't drive slow or easy, cause that takes time, and my time costs me more than the gas. (for now)
VXrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #27
Registered Member

For me, the car's too small. Won't fit all the kids that need to be taken to school.

Next, the EPA has put so many road blocks for small diesels. Ford has a Focus Wagon diesel. 50MPH stock. It's actually a familiar body style with room, and a platform that probably already meets US DOT safety requirements. Anyway, it can't come here...EPA.

I'll be interested to see what Honda has when their diesels come out. Is that this year or 2009?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
For me, the car's too small. Won't fit all the kids that need to be taken to school.

Next, the EPA has put so many road blocks for small diesels. Ford has a Focus Wagon diesel. 50MPH stock. It's actually a familiar body style with room, and a platform that probably already meets US DOT safety requirements. Anyway, it can't come here...EPA.

I'll be interested to see what Honda has when their diesels come out. Is that this year or 2009?
Don't forget CARB. They're even worse, which basically takes California - the biggest single auto market in the nation - out of the picture.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #29
Registered Member

Yeah, agreed. If they would just go ahead and ban cars in California, it might help the auto manufacturers in that they wouldn't have to develop and make specialized cars for unique markets.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #30
Registered Member

Does anyone know anyone that has a Smart Car?